Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PROBLEM SOLVED!

I can vouch for the personal attention that each SafeGuard user gets when a problem arises. Jeff Gibson and his team spent close to 45 mintues on the phone with me talking through my reset situation and how to handle it. Using SafeGuard's quarantine application, we were able to locate the reason for my reset/crash situation.
    As advertised, SafeGuard does keep the SD card mounted - I can ditch Card Keeper at last!

However, on my 680, SafeGuard now incorrectly labels all of the active apps with a running man icon (apps running in the background). When I first activated it, it correctly identified the background apps though. Does anyone else have the same problem?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledragon View Post
    As advertised, SafeGuard does keep the SD card mounted - I can ditch Card Keeper at last!

However, on my 680, SafeGuard now incorrectly labels all of the active apps with a running man icon (apps running in the background). When I first activated it, it correctly identified the background apps though. Does anyone else have the same problem?
    I may have a lingering bug but it will be fixed ASAP. Can you contact me so I can gather data from your situation so I can generate a fix if one is needed?

Jeff
    support @ GoTreoSoftware.com
    One issue I had was after installing SafeGuard I removed Resco Backup and then tried to put it back on but it just froze the Centro . I had to remove Safeguard completley then reisntall Resco Backup then reinstall Safguard for it to work.

But I love the app so far. I was getting resets every night during sleep and this app alerted me it was Zlauncher . Since disabling Zlauncher no resets.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    One issue I had was after installing SafeGuard I removed Resco Backup and then tried to put it back on but it just froze the Centro . I had to remove Safeguard completley then reisntall Resco Backup then reinstall Safguard for it to work.

But I love the app so far. I was getting resets every night during sleep and this app alerted me it was Zlauncher . Since disabling Zlauncher no resets.
    Thanks for the report! Can you tell me what version of SafeGuard you are using? is it 2.01?

Jeff
    It was 2.02 . SO I can help you let me go through what I did. Installed Safeguard then installed 2.02 then (A few days later) i uninstalled Resco backup then decided to put it back BUT after putting it back for some reason (Maybe Safeguard was wastching it as I have it set to backup onb schedule every night) when I click on the Resco Backup Icon the screen would freeze white.I tried on recomendation of someone to try getting rid of SafrGuard , I first tried to disable but no luck so I deleted it and then reinstalled Resco Backup , it then worked and then re-isntalled SafeGuard and all is well. Im not up to trying to see if removing programs that SafrGuard is watching (With alarms) but that may be why.

Mention again so far this app is very good and a big help. Solved my crashing problem so far.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 03/15/2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Should have read 2.02
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I've been testing SafeGuard and have one issue similar to the RescoBackup issue. I run BackupbuddyVFS every morning. Before I installed Safeguard It would backup with no issues. However, once I intalled SafeGuard, Backupbuddy will crash near the end of the backup every time.

I'm running 2.02
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    I've been testing SafeGuard and have one issue similar to the RescoBackup issue. I run BackupbuddyVFS every morning. Before I installed Safeguard It would backup with no issues. However, once I intalled SafeGuard, Backupbuddy will crash near the end of the backup every time.

I'm running 2.02
    IS SafeGuard logging the crash? What does SafeGuard report in the crash log? What happens if you disable SafeGuard's Palm Crash Monitor? Does the crash stop? Can you contacat me at support @ GoTreoSoftware.com so we can work through the issue together?

Jeff
  9.    #29  
    All,

Here is version 2.03 of SafeGuard. It is not yet an "official" version but it has gone through my internal QA and works great. Any feedback would be terrific.

As reported earlier, here are the changes/improvements in this release:

1) New delete feature when you try to remove SafeGuard. You will be asked if you are Upgrading versions or trying to completely remove SafeGuard. If you are removing the application, SafeGuard will completely uninstall itself.
    2) Performance improvements while using Palm Crash Monitors
    3) New Reset Loop detection feature. I found a new kind of reset loop while working with a client. This one happens after the device is booted but a reset happens when the phone application is trying to connect to the network. Alternatively, a 3rd party application may have set an alarm and the arlm kicks in and crashes before the user has a chance to do anything on their device. So SafeGuard will wake up if there are 5 or more resets within a 5 minute window. When it kicks in, it will ask if you are in trouble and will walk you through a WARM reset.
    4) SafeGuard will now detect applications that are "possibly" not properly locking their code segments when they run in the background. This may lead to false positives but better safe than sorry. Examples of false positives are TakePhone. SafeGuard has a new menu option in the Active Apps Information Screen screen that allows you to mark an application "safe". The indication of a problem application will be a RED running man in the Active Apps screen. This feature was first implemented in the beta but turned off temporarily while I tried to track down a bug. I have since found and fixed the bug.
    5) It corrects a problem that resulted in all applications showing that they ran in the background. Ie. all applications had a running man icon in the Active Apps screen.

SafeGuard Early Access Version 2.03

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    IS SafeGuard logging the crash? What does SafeGuard report in the crash log? What happens if you disable SafeGuard's Palm Crash Monitor? Does the crash stop? Can you contacat me at support @ GoTreoSoftware.com so we can work through the issue together?

Jeff
    Hi Jeff, I was having the same problem of BackupBuddyVFS Pro crashing during backup, so as per my usual practice I stared at the screen till it crashed, and it always crashes when it gets to backing up the Safeguard Notification file. I have no idea why it does that, but excluding that file from backing up solved my crashing problem, don't know why tho. anyway, hope you can fix that problem, your program is so great that I only had to trial it one day till I decided to buy it, Keep up the great work!!!
    Last edited by kamizuno; 03/16/2008 at 07:42 AM.
    garinballbarin
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno View Post
    Hi Jeff, I was having the same problem of BackupBuddyVFS Pro crashing during backup, so as per my usual practice I stared at the screen till it crashed, and it always crashes when it gets to backing up the Safeguard Notification file. I have no idea why it does that, but excluding that file from backing up solved my crashing problem, don't know why tho. anyway, hope you can fix that problem, your program is so great that I only had to trial it one day till I decided to buy it, Keep up the great work!!!
    Interesting information. I have set all of the permission bits in SafeGuard and all of its file to NOT include the backup bit. So it looks like BackupBuddyVFS is not honoring the backup bit! The only truely "safe" way to backup the SafeGuard files is to completely shutdown SafeGuard before the backup. That is why all backup bits were turned off in SafeGuard and all of its files.

We very much appreciate your business and hope SafeGuard continues to provide value to far into the future.

Jeff
    Jeff,

You may remember in the beta testing that I had a similar problem with Resco Backup Pro. It seems to be intermittent now. I back up nightly and last night it was listed in the reset log, where it should be, but two nights ago, it was listed in the crash log with a High probability of Resco causing the crash. I wonder now if it might really be SafeGuard indirectly causing the crash. Anyway, I'll continue to monitor it with the new version and see if there are any further problems. A selective backup with everything but SafeGuard might take a little work, but if that is what is going to make this problem go away that will be the next step. Thanks.

Stu
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Jeff,

You may remember in the beta testing that I had a similar problem with Resco Backup Pro. It seems to be intermittent now. I back up nightly and last night it was listed in the reset log, where it should be, but two nights ago, it was listed in the crash log with a High probability of Resco causing the crash. I wonder now if it might really be SafeGuard indirectly causing the crash. Anyway, I'll continue to monitor it with the new version and see if there are any further problems. A selective backup with everything but SafeGuard might take a little work, but if that is what is going to make this problem go away that will be the next step. Thanks.

Stu
    Wel during the beta there were several issues and one of the Resco problems was a SafeGuard issue. But that particular problem was solved when I changed the way SafeGuard handles notifications that use callbacks. When I changed SafeGuard's implementation of this technology, the error disappeared. Now I believe backup applications are not reacting well to locked applications and this is what is likely causing the problems.

Jeff
    V2.03 has solved the background app icon problem! I also purchased it.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledragon View Post
    V2.03 has solved the background app icon problem! I also purchased it.
    That's terrific!

I will have a version 2.04 very soon. It adds automatic backup and restore of SafeGuard files. Since SafeGuard is not allowing HotSync to backup any of its files, users were loosing SafeGuard data when they restored from Hard Resets. If you have an SD Card in your device, SafeGuard will now do a backup of all SafeGuard data every time you exit the SafeGuard application. In this way, there is always a good copy of SafeGuard's data files and quarantine information saved on the SD Card. Now when you run SafeGuard for the first time after a Hard Reset, SafeGuard will detect the backup set on the SD Card and completely restore itself.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    Wel during the beta there were several issues and one of the Resco problems was a SafeGuard issue. But that particular problem was solved when I changed the way SafeGuard handles notifications that use callbacks. When I changed SafeGuard's implementation of this technology, the error disappeared. Now I believe backup applications are not reacting well to locked applications and this is what is likely causing the problems.

Jeff
    Jeff,

After reading your responses, let me rephrase my initial statement. SafeGuard is indirectly causing the resets because the backup programs are not correctly reading the locked files and ignoring them. I understand that this is really a problem of the backup programs. I sent Resco Backup a copy of my remote support log after a crash, but never heard anything. Of course that was before the official release, so perhaps Jan didn't know what to do with it. I dunno. Have you had any correspondence with the developers of the backup programs?
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Jeff,

After reading your responses, let me rephrase my initial statement. SafeGuard is indirectly causing the resets because the backup programs are not correctly reading the locked files and ignoring them. I understand that this is really a problem of the backup programs. I sent Resco Backup a copy of my remote support log after a crash, but never heard anything. Of course that was before the official release, so perhaps Jan didn't know what to do with it. I dunno. Have you had any correspondence with the developers of the backup programs?
    I have not had any discussions with any backup companies so far. I have not built any relationships with them to date so I don't have any contacts to reach out to. I think the issue with the backup programs is not limited to SafeGuard. I have had customers that have complained about BackupMan not letting them do a complete backup without crashing and this was at a point in time before SafeGuard was even available. So I think there is some combination of files, locking, etc.... that causes random problems with backup programs.

Here is warning published by BackUpMan on their website:

The following items effect all NVFS devices.
    • If you experience a system reset at the end of a backup, you have a program loaded on your device that either "patches" or intercepts certain system function calls. Any program that adds functionality to the device when it is not the active application falls into this category. Here are some examples:
      • Butler
      • ClipPro
      • CrashPro
      • Fonts4OS5
      • pToolSet
      • TextPlus
      Removal of those (or any similar) programs and the problem will go away. Please note that the programs themselves are most likely not at fault, they are simply exposing a defect in the Palm NVFS system design. Some of the developers of this type of program have already released updates that work around the problem; you should contact them directly for details. If you would like to know a more technical explanation of why this happens click here.
    In the end, BackUpMan thinks the problem has to do with DBCache running too low. I guess it sounds as good as any explanation at this time. If too many applications are locked in memory and they are far enough apart to create fragmentation, problems like this "could" happen. Even cache management programs can not move locked applications to optimize the space utilization.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno View Post
    I was part of the beta test program. For backup I use both NVBackup 1.21 and BackupBuddyVFS Pro 4.3. During the beta test phase and with the released versions of SG (2.01, 2.02) I never experienced any problems with backups on my 755p. I usually have turned on SG's monitoring (Palm Events, Phone Events, Alarm Events) but not "Keep SD Card Mounted" (I never experienced a related problem).

I understand it's not helping your problem but I just wanted Jeff let know that not all Treo's have issues with the backup.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    I was part of the beta test program. For backup I use both NVBackup 1.21 and BackupBuddyVFS Pro 4.3. During the beta test phase and with the released versions of SG (2.01, 2.02) I never experienced any problems with backups on my 755p. I usually have turned on SG's monitoring (Palm Events, Phone Events, Alarm Events) but not "Keep SD Card Mounted" (I never experienced a related problem).

I understand it's not helping your problem but I just wanted Jeff let know that not all Treo's have issues with the backup.

Cheers.
    I found out that I was using a old 3.x copy of BBVFS Pro, so I upgraded to version 4.4 and now the crash doesn't happen, so I guess not all versions will crash, sorry for not mentioning the version of BBVFS Pro that crashed.
    garinballbarin
  20.    #40  
    kamizuno and STBXXL,

Thanks for the information! Boths posts are very valuable. So it appears that SafeGuard did prove to be valuable by showing that version 3.x of BBVFS Pro was unstable afterall.

Jeff
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast