Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Any suggestions before I drop a whole lot more money?
    I'm hoping not to spend another $100, especially if T-Mobile really does get the Centro.

I did a hard reset just to make sure.
    Pulled it apart today, moved the mic around where it fits on motherboard while recording with sound.
    It did make noise, nothing I recognize.

It does work with a headset plugged in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anyone have a spare 680 mic for sale?

SoTacMatt@gmail.com
    Last edited by SoTacMatt; 03/09/2008 at 10:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    This has happened to me twice, both times I got a free Treo because they come with a 1 year factory warranty.
    I kinda had that prob, I did a housing swap and somehow I crushed the end rubber piece of the mic. when I closed the housing. Got it back in place after many tries. I even took the how damn thing a part!

Gotta becareful, but why don;t you take the entire mic apart and re-piece everything.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM View Post
    This has happened to me twice, both times I got a free Treo because they come with a 1 year factory warranty.
    How can your warrenty still work when you;ve opened up the unit?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I bought it used, so I don't have any warranty.
    I will either send it to be repaired, or try and buy a "broken" 680 off ebay.
    The interface between the mic and the circuit board is pretty crummy. It is 2 contacts on the microphone which connect to a bullseye contact on the circuit board. The

Take the back off the Treo. Remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the case. Remove the lower piece which covers the microphone, the charging/synching system and earphone jack.

You will notice the little black rubber mic piece. Get some needle nose pliers and move it around. I use the voice recording feature to test the microphone. Once you get the microphone connected to the bullseye properly, the mic will work.

Once the microphone is working properly, separate the covers slightly and re-insert the bottom plastic cover. Careful to not knock the microphone out of alignment again. Re-install the screws and test the mic again. If it is good to go, you are good to go!

If you cannnot get it to work. Pop the other two screws and pull the top case off again and then examine the microphone. Make sure the contacts from the rubber mic are not broken. Do not dissasemble the mic. It is not easy to re-assemble, but not impossible.

DO NOT USE A TREO 650 MICROPHONE WITH THE 680. They are different impeadances and do not work (ask me how I know!). However, the little contact plate is compatible. I would only do this if I found that one of the contacts was broken.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
    Make sure the contacts from the rubber mic are not broken. Do not dissasemble the mic. It is not easy to re-assemble, but not impossible.

DO NOT USE A TREO 650 MICROPHONE WITH THE 680. They are different impeadances and do not work (ask me how I know!). However, the little contact plate is compatible. I would only do this if I found that one of the contacts was broken.
    YOU ARE THE MAN!
    I replaced the contacts with one out of an old 650, IT'S ALIVE AGAIN!!!!

Woot!

You have NO idea how close I was to dropping another $200 for this phone!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoTacMatt View Post
    YOU ARE THE MAN!
    I replaced the contacts with one out of an old 650, IT'S ALIVE AGAIN!!!!

Woot!

You have NO idea how close I was to dropping another $200 for this phone!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING!!!
    Wicked dude.
    Glad to help.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?