Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I seem to have this problem with every new phone I buy, and the Centro is proving to be no exception...

I'm looking for a form-fitting case... with a low-profile belt clip... that DOESN'T swivel.

Every single form-fitting case I find for pretty much every phone I've ever had ends up having a huge honking clip on it that's the size of my head and that swivels 360 degrees. I can't for the life of me figure out why I'd want my phone to be doing loop-dee-loops while I'm walking down the street, but anyway...

The main reason I need a low-profile non-swivel clip, though, is that I always keep my phone on vibrate. And the vibration doesn't transfer very well across six inches of bulky plastic clip mechanism protruding off of my hip.

Does anyone know if there's any way to get a form-fitting case that's kinda like this:

http://i1.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/da/58/304e_1.JPG

...but with a belt clip that's kinda like this:

http://www.bluebargain.com/ebay/imag...a001l_back.jpg

Anyone...?

(btw, I already checked the Cases and Accessories thread, but didn't find one. Granted, I didn't read all 23 pages, so there may be one that I missed)

WATYF
    Unless you're getting a holster, there isn't a playthrough case with a standard spring type or metal clip. Your best bet is to get a case without a clip and stick a krusell multidapt on it with one of their spring clips. The only problem then is because of the location of the camera the clip is fairly centered instead of higher up so your phone won't hang below your belt for the most part. You could attach it sideways and cheat it to one side or the other so the clip doesn't really overhand the case.

I don't like swivel cases, but the cellet rubberized hard case has a fairly close fitting, low profile swivel compared to others I've tried. It's one of the few reasons why I keep the swivel on it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input. I looked into the Cellet case, but I found a bunch of reviews that all stated that the clip broke after just a month or two, so I'll probably stay away from that one.

It's just so surprising to me that no manufacturer wants to make a case like this. Am I really the only one who sees value in this type of case?

WATYF
    I've used a black cordura nylon case from Timbuk2.com for a couple of years. It works well of dress belts when I'm in a suit or with jeans. It's the lowest profile that I've found. I bought an expensive leather case for my 650 that just stands our from my belt too far. When I get a Centro I'm planning to use the Seidio holster. By all accounts it looks as if it's low enough profile and the clip rotates, but rotates firmly as opposed to swiveling. I'll be curious what you settle on as we seem to have similar demands.
    Mark Bergman
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Well, if I can't find a form-fitting case, I'll have to settle (again) on just using a holster for my phone. I have one right now for my i500 that looks like this one. And since they also make that style for the Centro, I'll probably have to stick with the same thing.

I'd rather find a dark brown one, though, since I rarely wear black.

The problem with a holster (besides the fact that there's always something stuck on your belt, even when you're using your phone) is that the phone isn't protected at all when you're using it, or when it's out of the holster for some other reason.

WATYF
    I'm not sure what reviews you're reading, but the new rubberized case has only been out for a month. Where are the reviews? I'd like to check them out.

I will give props to it for the fact that just an hour ago I dropped it in the toilet (thankfully freshly flushed). Quickly grabbed it, took off the case, popped off the battery, shook it till my hand went numb, wiped it down, shook it again and then placed it over the pilot on my gas stove till about 10 minutes ago. It fired up no problems. I think the crystal cases in general can give you those few extra seconds of protection from drops like that.

There are quite a few leather cases with clips out there. Think PDAir makes some nice ones, and they're not overly expensive on ebay.

also, the Krusell leather skin case with the mutlidapt on the back could be up your alley as well. You can get a spring clip for it as it comes with the removable swivel. I'd also cut out the plastic screen protector. If you go into the accessory thread it should be within the last five pages or just search for Krusell within the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WATYF View Post
    Thanks for the input. I looked into the Cellet case, but I found a bunch of reviews that all stated that the clip broke after just a month or two, so I'll probably stay away from that one.

It's just so surprising to me that no manufacturer wants to make a case like this. Am I really the only one who sees value in this type of case?

WATYF
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I'm not sure what reviews you're reading, but the new rubberized case has only been out for a month. Where are the reviews? I'd like to check them out.
    Reviews are here.

There are quite a few leather cases with clips out there. Think PDAir makes some nice ones, and they're not overly expensive on ebay.

also, the Krusell leather skin case with the mutlidapt on the back could be up your alley as well. You can get a spring clip for it as it comes with the removable swivel. I'd also cut out the plastic screen protector. If you go into the accessory thread it should be within the last five pages or just search for Krusell within the thread.
    Yeah... I looked at the Krusell. Same issue. Bulky clip mechanism. Even with their simpler clips, that big flap that holds the clip "mount" protrudes a lot.

At this point I figure I'm just going to get a horizontal pouch case. The only problem is, I'd like one in brown, and while PDAir makes ALL of their Centro cases in various colors (including brown), they (for some strange reason) decided to only offer the horizontal case in BLACK.

oh, the woes of buying a cell phone case...

WATYF
    wrong case. the crystal case, not holster. Like this.
    Reviews are here.
    I had the same issue with the Krusell case.
    Yeah... I looked at the Krusell. Same issue. Bulky clip mechanism. Even with their simpler clips, that big flap that holds the clip "mount" protrudes a lot.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    wrong case. the crystal case, not holster. Like this.
    ah... thanks for clarifying.

Man, this is like torture... somebody out there hates me.

I found a great looking rustic brown case, but it's not made specifically for Centro... it's for (basically) all Treos, which means it's gonna be a good bit bigger than the Centro. *sigh*

WATYF
    Last edited by WATYF; 03/11/2008 at 01:30 PM.
    the case I pointed to seems to be the slimmest of the crystal cases and actually has a clip option if you're trying to keep the minimalist approach. Your other option if you're looking at horizontal pouches is to just roam the phone areas of places and look for more generic pouches made for normal phones. When the Centro was first introduced the accessory thread was filled with people finding generic pouch options. I'm sure there's some small candybar phones with similar dimensions to the Centro that have a case for it. You might even broaden your ebay search with just "brown leather case" under the cell phone category and see what you get.

I hear you on the torture. I always want the "perfect" case for me, and since I tend to be an early adopter it is torture waiting for cases to develop.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    the case I pointed to seems to be the slimmest of the crystal cases and actually has a clip option if you're trying to keep the minimalist approach. Your other option if you're looking at horizontal pouches is to just roam the phone areas of places and look for more generic pouches made for normal phones. When the Centro was first introduced the accessory thread was filled with people finding generic pouch options. I'm sure there's some small candybar phones with similar dimensions to the Centro that have a case for it. You might even broaden your ebay search with just "brown leather case" under the cell phone category and see what you get.

I hear you on the torture. I always want the "perfect" case for me, and since I tend to be an early adopter it is torture waiting for cases to develop.
    Yeah... I've tried some "brown leather" searches... the problem is finding sellers who will list the dimensions of the case.

Anyway... thanks for the input. I'm gonna go suffer in the trenches a little more.

WATYF
    Here you go. I just bought one of these.
    Cases.com has Covertec Pouch Cases
    They have several with sizes.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    how bout the full sticker type ones?
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Well... I got my Covertec Case today. Now I found another case I like better. I'm going to get one from Smartphone Experts here at TreoCentral. By looking at the pictures it has a cutout for the speaker so it IS NOT a universal case. It is made for Centro. I hope I like it more than the Covertec.
    Last edited by floridatony; 04/03/2008 at 08:30 PM.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S