1.    #1  
    is there a way to clean up the treo 755p on regular bases, both ram claim and other clean ups so it will keep my memory bigger?thnx
    I assume you are talking about clearing out storage space in the ram and not the dbcache.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I assume you are talking about clearing out storage space in the ram and not the dbcache.
    both
    The dbcache clears itself automatically when you Hotsync, or when you get too low in cache space availability. There are a number of cache flushing apps out there, but they should be used with caution, as Palm devices weren't really designed for a lot of fiddling with the cache.

For increasing memory, there are several methods to possibly use. One is doing a hard reset, and then selectively restoring the apps and preferences you want back on your phone. That will give you back some memory space in RAM. I did this last week and gained nearly 20 MB of space. Another, even cleaner way (although even more tedious) is a clean install of each of your apps. What I mean here, is that rather than selectively restoring each of your apps from your backup, you go to each developer's site that you have apps from, and re-download the app (and subsequently enter in the activation key/code). The added advantage of this method is that it will do away with a lot of saved preference conflicts that may be building up (but not necessarily causing resets). It also ensures you have the latest version of your software apps. Hope that helps.

Stu
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    The dbcache clears itself automatically when you Hotsync, or when you get too low in cache space availability. There are a number of cache flushing apps out there, but they should be used with caution, as Palm devices weren't really designed for a lot of fiddling with the cache.

For increasing memory, there are several methods to possibly use. One is doing a hard reset, and then selectively restoring the apps and preferences you want back on your phone. That will give you back some memory space in RAM. I did this last week and gained nearly 20 MB of space. Another, even cleaner way (although even more tedious) is a clean install of each of your apps. What I mean here, is that rather than selectively restoring each of your apps from your backup, you go to each developer's site that you have apps from, and re-download the app (and subsequently enter in the activation key/code). The added advantage of this method is that it will do away with a lot of saved preference conflicts that may be building up (but not necessarily causing resets). It also ensures you have the latest version of your software apps. Hope that helps.

Stu
    thanks for ur help, i wish there was an easier way of doing that...
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    * There are several apps that help you clean up orphan prefs and other records. It's something you need to be careful with because some records that dont appear to be asociated with anything MAY be. I find Tealscan the most helpful app to help you decide which is and isnt. Basically I only delete "orphans" that Tealscan tells me are associated with apps I know ive deleted previously (ie I dont gamble).

*Another interesting and helpful approach which I use is LinkstartPro. It allows you to set different actions for an app and its associated databases etc. For example, with some apps I leave the database in RAM and only move the main app back and forth between the card on launch/quit. Im on a 650 with very limited RAM, and ithis can give me a few extra MBs, without making the launching/quitting process for an app an inordinately prolonged process.

* UninstallManager is of course very helpful in general, since it monitors most of the additional non-prc files that get added when you install an app, and deletes them when you delete the app. It's not 100% though, since some developers produce apps with an appalling long and unorganised list of associated files, that seem to outgun even UM. But UM still helps here, because, as long as you have the "sandbox" option enabled, it lists all those files during the installation process. I always write down all the file-names on that list and add it to my records, so I can double check when I later delete the app. As you probably know that list WONT necessarily show up in the Desktop Installer program, because many apps use a Package Installer that bundles all the little files into a single prc.

Good luck!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Uninstall Manager + Cleanup.

Requires some work though to setup. Basically Uninstall Manager determines what files are associated to what programs, so it knows not to clean them when running Cleanup.

So you would practically have to reinstall from scratch anyways just to get it configured properly.
    I have both Cleanup and TealScan and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have bought Cleanup. As Geoff pointed out, neither one is completely accurate as to what apps are really orphans, but TealScan seems to do a better job of letting you know associations. A new app coming out soon, (SafeGuard) also will tell you which files and folders are associated with what app's User ID.

Which brings me to Uninstall. I think the added benefit that Uninstall or Destaller Pro offer over the stock delete function is marginal, particularly if you use one or the other of the two apps mentioned above (TealScan or Cleanup). Furthermore, doing a selective restore or clean restore is something that should be done periodically anyway, so why waste your money on an uninstaller?

I hadn't heard of LinkStartPro before...I'll have to check that program out.