1.    #1  
    Is there any Palm OS app that helps the user set a repeating event reminder in their calendar for what I'll call a 'non-standard' event or Holiday? Here's a few examples:

1. DST Spring Forward Reminder - 2nd Sunday in March for U.S.
    2. Memorial Day - Last Monday in May
    3. Labor Day - First Monday in September
    4. DST Fall Back Reminder - 1st Sunday in November for U.S.
    5. Thanksgiving - 4th Thursday in November
    6. A group meeting every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the Month

I have tried setting some of these types of annual events so that they repeat every 52nd week on the 'day' (vs. numerical date) they are to occur. When I look ahead to verify it seems to work for the first year or two, then it's off by a week. We encounter many of these types of events in our lives, some are easy to remember and some are not. How do you get your "smart" phone to remind you of them without having to manually set them up for each year?
    Quote Originally Posted by bruneti View Post
    Is there any Palm OS app that helps the user set a repeating event reminder in their calendar for what I'll call a 'non-standard' event or Holiday? Here's a few examples:

1. DST Spring Forward Reminder - 2nd Sunday in March for U.S.
    2. Memorial Day - Last Monday in May
    3. Labor Day - First Monday in September
    4. DST Fall Back Reminder - 1st Sunday in November for U.S.
    5. Thanksgiving - 4th Thursday in November
    6. A group meeting every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the Month

Not sure about the first five, but number six can be done like so:

Calendar Event
    • Create new event and Tap on Details
    • Tap on Date & choose 1st Saturday of the month
    • Tap Repeat & Other
    • Choose Month
    • Choose the "Day" option next to Repeat by
    • Option Every should be set to 1 Month(s)
    • Adjust End on as needed
    You should now see it say, "The 1st Saturday of every month."

Tap Ok and repeat for the 3rd Saturday.

I use that to remind me of communion (Christian snack time as I call it) at church on the first Sunday of each month and it works very well.

I have tried setting some of these types of annual events so that they repeat every 52nd week on the 'day' (vs. numerical date) they are to occur. When I look ahead to verify it seems to work for the first year or two, then it's off by a week.
    You might try and set them up to repeat every 12th month similar to above.
    Last edited by DL.Cummings; 03/06/2008 at 07:59 AM. Reason: addition
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
  3.    #3  
    DLC - Thanks for that tip. So simple, but I've never used it before. Based on your method of setting up my example #6, I figured out how to setup examples #1,3,4,& 5 by changing the repeat interval to every 12 months. I did this for the spring DST reminder and verified it's correct in my calendar for the next 10 years.

Still not sure how to do #2.
    Now to raise the bar a little. How do you setup Easter (it's based on lunar cycle) and the corresponding Good Friday (always the Friday before Easter)?
    Last edited by bruneti; 03/06/2008 at 08:18 AM.
  4.    #4  
    O.k., so I skipped Memorial day and did the rest of my first list of examples. When I got to Thanksgiving, the Palm OS calendar asked if this monthly repeat was for the 4th week of the month or the last week of the month. I set it up for the 4th week and verified it worked correctly. I then went back and setup Memorial day and selected the last week of the month.

I've used PalmOS since the Palm Pilot Professional and overlooked that capability this whole time. I think I just always assumed that it wasn't possible. I even pulled out my old TRGpro (the old P.P. Pro is long gone) and verified this was possible back then. Thanks again for the enlightenment.

Still curious if Easter and Good Friday are easily done somehow.
    HolidayUSA, available at freewarepalm.com.