Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Hi all, I'm looking into getting a Sprint Treo 755p and I wanted to double check that I understood correctly how everything worked together. I drive a lot with work and wanted to get GPS for it. I was looking at Tele Nav GPS Navigator and then I have to get a GPS receiver right? I was looking at the Freedom Keychain 2000. Any other cheaper options that work well?

While I'm driving I'll use a bluetooth headset and when people call in to book an appointment I'll use a call recording program to record the details then when I get to a stop I'll replay it and put it into my appointment book.

All sound plausible?

Also, I could use a Mac or a PC to sync my schedule book. Do you all recommend one or the other?

thank ya'll for your help, I really appreciate it,
    Trevor
    You can try a Holux Slim 240 or a Holux m1200. They're both a bit cheaper.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Ok, I just read that I can't use a bluetooth headset with a bluetooth GPS. Is that right? Should I get a wired GPS instead? Any recommendations? This looks good but it seems to have gotten mixed reviews...
    I've never actually used GPS on my Treo, but having seen how it works with other bluetooth devices (like my headset) I have to imagine you'd be much happier just grabbing a seperate dedicated GPS device. The PalmOS isn't exactly known for it's multi-tasking prowess, so trying to navigate with GPS while talking on the phone and/or SMSing or receiving e-mails might not go so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevdor View Post
    Ok, I just read that I can't use a bluetooth headset with a bluetooth GPS. Is that right? Should I get a wired GPS instead? Any recommendations? This looks good but it seems to have gotten mixed reviews...
    Yeah you can't have two BT devices connected at the same time... You just have to decide which is more important I guess. Do you need navigation more or your BT headset. I think I would go for the GPS just cause it cooler
    Yup - you get a choice of only one bluetooth device at a time. The "coolness" aspect of the GPS navigation on the Treo wears off quick, especially if you have any illusions of being able to use it as a phone as you drive (MIGHT happen).

You can get a fairly decent dedicated GPS device, with a screen twice as large as the Treo's, for about $100-150 bucks. The Garmin 360 (an excellent choice including text-to-speech and bluetooth connection to your address book) was on sale at Costco for $250 recently. Compare those prices to the amount they want for decent navigation software for the Treo and I can see absolutely no reason to regularly use the Treo as a GPS navigator. Heck - you have to have a separate BT GPS receiver anyway (since it's not in the Treo), so why not have that separate device be the whole banana.

I guess I feel like an evangelist for people not using phones for GPSs because I see too many monkeys on the roads already that can't even talk on the phone without driving their SUVs over into my lane and back into theirs. Don't particularly want to lose my life because those same idiots choose to add a "cool" navigation interface to that same phone.

Yeah, guess I'm a luddite now... Separate GPS, better idea.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.