1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I thought the built-in Instant Messaging application (AIM, Yahoo!, MSN) on the Palm Centro charged each message sent/received as a text message? I opened it, and it started to connect to the internet.

Are there any IM applications (AIM, Yahoo!, MSN, etc.) that charge each message sent/received as text messages?

Thanks!!

-Alex
    It uses data and text trust me if you dont have unlimited text and data dont use it.

As far as I know they all basically work the same way.
    They all use data and some of them use data and text. The difference is how they get messages to you when you are not actually in the program.
    So are all of those free on Sero or is there some other charge I should know about?
    Unlimited data is included in SERO. Unlimited Text has been offered intermittently as a promotion for SERO. So, if you got the unlimited text, then its included, if you didn't, then its not.
    I will never understand why people would use a progam that uses both data AND text when there are plenty of data only programs available (I use Toccer since I only use aim). Who wants to get charged twice for something? I dont.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    A lot of people have unlimited text. The battery drain is significantly less than apps that use pure data connection. The sms based IM client deals much better with loss of a solid network connection, as you are basically still logged in even if your phone can't maintain a good connection so you will eventually get the IM's anyways.

Those are 2 large reasons.
    Thanks! I didn't know that.
  9. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Im coming from the 700wx & I am used to leaving the IM open in the background & just minimize it so I can still receive incoming messages while Im multitasking but I am trying my hardest to find out if once I sign-in, do I have to STAY in the IM app in order to still receive incoming messages or can I got to, lets say the home screen for instance & still receive them?
    You do not have to keep the app open.

As a matter of fact after you sign in you still might be getting messages if your phone died.

The Sprint IM app basically logs in through the AIM through sms service, it just uses a GUI to sign you in/out, get buddy lists, send messages (you can log in to AIM through sms with just any text messaging).

So once you are logged in, you are still technically logged in if your phone explodes, or you soft reset, etc etc until you sign out through the IM app or by SMS manually.
  11. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    You do not have to keep the app open.

As a matter of fact after you sign in you still might be getting messages if your phone died.

The Sprint IM app basically logs in through the AIM through sms service, it just uses a GUI to sign you in/out, get buddy lists, send messages (you can log in to AIM through sms with just any text messaging).

So once you are logged in, you are still technically logged in if your phone explodes, or you soft reset, etc etc until you sign out through the IM app or by SMS manually.
    Thanks !