Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This morning while enroute to work I used my phone briefly. I pulled it out again to find it non-repsonsive. Black screen. No buttons would wake it. Pulled battery. Replaced it. Treo 755p booted up.

PHONE WAS COMPLETELY RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS!!! EVERYTHING WAS GONE.

Since this is a family channel I'll just say, "What the #$#$@#$@#!" I've got no idea how this could even begin to happen. Any ideas?

Luckily I had a backup and did a restore while mobile form the memory card.
    Of course that was okay with one exception. Stupid Kinoma 4 player always seems to loose some stupid library requiring a reinstallation of it's install. I really hate that!

Getting really really tired of this phone. I'm hoping Apple announces a 3G phone on Thursday. If they do it's good bye Palm and Sprint.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mopcodes View Post
    I'm hoping Apple announces a 3G phone on Thursday. If they do it's good bye Palm and Sprint.

I'll be there in line as well buying the iPhone when it hits 3G.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Hello all:

I have to chime in here (I don't post very often). I have a Treo 755p with Telus Mobility in Canada (CDMA). I got it just over a month ago and was loving it at first. However, it started to doing odd "hangs" after about 4 weeks of having it. A week and a half ago it got stuck in a reset loop that made me think it was going to vomit at any moment. When I got home, I did a hard reset------and it wouldn't even work! That's right, I couldn't even make it do a hard reset. Crazy! I exchanged it with Telus, and got my new one just over a week ago. It started behaving strangely too (hanging, and resetting, etc.). Two days ago the EXACT same thing that happened to "mopcodes" happened to me: black screen, no buttons responding, etc. So I too pulled the battery and replaced it in order to reset it-----and it performed its own HARD RESET-----totally resetting to the factory defaults. My entire colander, contacts, etc. were gone. Thank goodness I was only about 20 minutes from home, but that was enough of a scare for me.

So I started doing some serious research on the internet to see what the problem could be-----I do not want to give up on my Treo just yet (I've been using Treos and Palms since the "Palm Professional" days). I thought about whether it could be any 3rd party apps that I have on it. I use my Treo for the regular functions (calendar, phone, etc.), and the only other things I do on it is listen to mp3 music, read ebooks, use Chatteremail and watch movies off of my SD card using TCPMP. In other words, I really do not use a lot of 3rd party functions that could be causing conflicts (mp3 player and the ebook program come preinstalled). I suspected that it may be Chatteremail, but that would seem strange as I purchased it DIRECTLY from the Palm site and I know that it is a fairly stable program. I deleted Chatteremail, and have still been having a couple of hangs followed by my manual resets.

I've been doing some research on the internet, and discovered that possibly it could be from my Bluetooth earpiece that I've had for a few years. This Plantronics Voyager 510 earpiece worked PERFECTLY with my old Treo 650 on a different CDMA carrier, but it has been giving me some issues with the 755p (not picking up, not responding, etc). I thought that it may have a compatibility problem. So I went to the mall today and bought 4 different BT headsets to test----all are from the list of recommended units for the 755p on Palm's site.

I use my phone a little for "extras" (photos, watching movies and ebooks), it really is a business tool that I MUST be able to rely on. I'm finding that it is becoming difficult to depend on it, and am wondering if I am not better off with a Blackberry 8830 World Edition, and abandoning Palm altogether; although I suspect that BB has its own problems as well.

So I've deleted Chatteremail for now to try the different BT headsets. I will report back to let you know what I find out. As I say, I just had to post after I read about mopcodes' experience and the fact that the same thing happened to me. Thank you for your time.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Please keep us posted. I have been using the same headset for about a year now. I have used it consecutively on the 650, 700, 755 as well as other "dumb" phones and blackberrys'. The only issue I have had is that the 510 disconnects consistently on the palm 700 & 755. Today, i made a call, and hung up and the call continued until I actually powered down the headset.

Could this be a bluetooth stack issue???????????????????
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    My 755 also did the same thing a few weeks ago. I think the problem for many is with dbcache. I installed an app to clear dbcache and i have been much more stable with only one reset in the last 2 weeks, which was an app/alarm issue I believe. Anyway, there are plenty of threads that addresses this issue so do a search.
    Using Palm Pre on Sprint
    Luckily I had a backup and did a restore while mobile form the memory card. Of course that was okay with one exception. Stupid Kinoma 4 player always seems to loose some stupid library requiring a reinstallation of it's install. I really hate that!
    I'd be glad to take credit on behalf of Kinoma for that if it was true, but some backup/restore are smart enough to correctly backup and restore Kinoma Player.

Still, it's always best to let the Kinoma Player installer verify that everything is in its proper place. If you use our "lost key" form, you'll generally get a link to a fresh installer in minutes.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Since this is a family channel I'll just say, "What the #$#$@#$@#!" I've got no idea how this could even begin to happen. Any ideas?
    Getting really really tired of this phone. I'm hoping Apple announces a 3G phone on Thursday. If they do it's good bye Palm and Sprint.
    Considering this sounds like some sort of hardware malfunction, which is not really phone specific (since a very large number of people don't have hard resets that just happen after a soft reset), I'm not really sure what Palm or Sprint has to do with it.

You could get the same problem on any phone that can restore to the original ROM.
    Just curious, did you have your treo plugged into a car charger at or before the time this factory reset occurred?

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    This was happening to me with my 755p before the 1.07 firmware update, when hanging up a Bluetooth call to my vehicle's hands-free system. After the update, the problem has disappeared.
    Palm Treo 755p (Sprint)
    Previously owned: Cingular 650, Sprint 700wx, Sprint 700p
  10.    #10  
    Charles I like your product, but Backup Buddy does not appear to restore it properly. It's only your product and nothing else that I have installed on my Treo 755p. So I don't know what to say. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    I'd be glad to take credit on behalf of Kinoma for that if it was true, but some backup/restore are smart enough to correctly backup and restore Kinoma Player.

Still, it's always best to let the Kinoma Player installer verify that everything is in its proper place. If you use our "lost key" form, you'll generally get a link to a fresh installer in minutes.

-- Charles Wiltgen
  11.    #11  
    Nope. I'd just used it. Then placed it into my jacket pocket after using it to make a phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Just curious, did you have your treo plugged into a car charger at or before the time this factory reset occurred?
  12.    #12  
    I'm using a Jawbone headset. It frequently looses it's link from itself to the Treo 755p. I'm told this is common for all phone and headsets. I have no other information. I don't understand it since my laptop can stay connected why not my phone and the Jawbone. Oh I've had the headset for months now. The phone has never ever done this before today.

Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    Please keep us posted. I have been using the same headset for about a year now. I have used it consecutively on the 650, 700, 755 as well as other "dumb" phones and blackberrys'. The only issue I have had is that the 510 disconnects consistently on the palm 700 & 755. Today, i made a call, and hung up and the call continued until I actually powered down the headset.

Could this be a bluetooth stack issue???????????????????
    Hey mopcodes,

I too have the same symptoms. Just got a 'new' replacement yesterday (ya, The tech said it truly was a refurb.)! This soon???

The data connection indicator (square box near BT icon) would constantly flash EVDO-arrows-EVDO-arrows. No incoming or outgoing calls possible, unless I do a soft reset (often more than once!!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Battery life is incredibly POOR - this phone (actually Nos. 1 & 2) will only last 24 hrs. on a full charge! That's with little, or no, voice usage! No, I don't have Vers., Chat., or any other account set up or running.

I have flashed the 1.07 SPNT upgrade 5 times now (plus 3 times as of yesterday on the refurb). Each time trying different backup scenarios. I am now monitoring a pure 'virgin' install - i.e. no BU, HS, data Beam, etc.

I was on the phone last night for 2 hours with a Sprint ATS, who completely reset my account (incl. PRL I believe). Somehow, I am not confident the problem is network related. I may be dealing with a $ 500 paperweight.

BTW, no nOOb to Treos, but HELP!!! superman, shadowmite, anybody?

P
  14.    #14  
    I've had problems with the battery life also. I'm having to charge it each and every night. I'm about to evaluate all the apps installed. Keep only the ones that I need, but doing complete reset. I'm going to remove Palm Desktop, etc.
    I really really need to start looking for a new phone, but I'm watching to see what Apple does. I'm no longer spending any money on this Treo if I don't have to.
    I've had problems with the battery life also. I'm having to charge it each and every night. I'm about to evaluate all the apps installed. Keep only the ones that I need, but doing complete reset. I'm going to remove Palm Desktop, etc.
    I really really need to start looking for a new phone, but I'm watching to see what Apple does. I'm no longer spending any money on this Treo if I don't have to.

Hey Palm, Sprint, et al.,

LISTEN UP!!!!!

p (AND GOODNIGHT)
    Sprint did a warranty replacement of my 700 last week with a 755 refurb and I've noticed quite a few more resets than usual (started off with clean installs of each app, but was still having problems so I did a restore of my 700 backup from card - less certain files - and decided to weather that storm... only took a week to get it reasonably stable ). So far no hard resets, though I do feel your pain.

One really annoying thing I've noticed is that some of my card files were corrupt when I switched phones, causing crashes at launch whether fully booted or with warm reset. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the old 650 flaws crept back into the 755 (used to get hard resets far too frequently). Hotsynched backup files that never touched the 755 fixed the problem for those apps. Could have been during the transfer from SD to miniSD (still getting used to that).

Since Kinoma made an appearance, I have to give props to their re-registration process. The seemingly recently-increasing practice of tying registration to device ID is really frustrating and annoying when switching devices, but first time I launched Kinoma it detected the new device, asked if I wanted to switch the reg, and that was it. Painless. Now if you could do something about searching for files at EVERY startup....
  17.    #17  
    I've noted problems with my back ups that I'm still trying to determine. Are you using a real miniSD or one of those Sandisk adapters? The latter is not recommended by Palm for their firmware updates and I've had problems with the adapter seating correctly in my device. Wondering if this might be an issue also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I use NVBackup 1.21 and have never had a problem with Kinoma v4.4 paid version on a full restore - it keeps "all" of your preference "exact" - SlingPlayer included for which I have heard others have the same problems.

Give it a try - it's free!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com
    Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Nope. I'd just used it. Then placed it into my jacket pocket after using it to make a phone call.
    The only times I can remember this happening to me was once on my Treo 600 or 650 and another time recently on my 700p - each time it occurred while being attached to different car chargers with the big treo hotsync connector (not just the power connector).

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    I use NVBackup 1.21 and have never had a problem with Kinoma v4.4 paid version on a full restore - it keeps "all" of your preference "exact" - SlingPlayer included for which I have heard others have the same problems.
    That's great to know, thank you for posting!

(BTW, Kinoma created SlingPlayer Mobile as well.)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast