Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I installed Office 2008 on my Mac recently. now I notice that once I have edited an excel file with Office 2008 on the mac it won't open on my Treo 700w. I get the error "An error occurred reading 'file name' because the file is in an invalid format." I have saved the file in all the different .xls formats. It is not in the new xml format (.xmlx). These are files that I have used for years with success comming from both a PC & a Mac. Does anyone know what I should do? Could this be a WM5 issue with Office 2008? I read a post somewhere else on the web that sounded like it was happening with WM6 as well, but no one had replyed to the post.

    I'm new posting here, but I listen to the Treocast. I just have to say that Dieter and Mike rock! . I don't even own a iPhone, but I listen to the Phone Different podcast because they make me laugh (and because I like Apple).

    Peace, Dan
  2. #2  
    Not related to the T700, but I just upgraded to Office 2008 on my Mac, running 10.4.11, and my T650 did not indicate anything was amiss. I just synced without issue. Looks to be a stable combination with Tiger. Not sure about Leopard though.
    Dead-thread Necromancer
  3. #3  
    Hi Dan -

    Sorry I missed your post -- that is indeed strange. I just installed Office 2008 myself on *my* mac but hadn't tried moving an xls file over. Will play around with that now...
  4. #4  
    YOWZA

    Issue totally confirmed! It seems that no matter which format I choose from Mac Office 2008, Window Mobile's Office Excel app can't read it on a default 700wx.

    I'm betting / hoping Mobile Office 6.1 (a free download for you) should fix the problem:

    http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/of...ted_to_61.html
  5. #5  
    Looks like you've stumbled upon a pretty serious bug there, Dan.

    XLS files from Mac Office 2008 don't work in Mobile Office 6.1 (in either of the 2 available compatibility modes)

    XLSX files work fine, though. Grumble.
  6. #6  
    same deal here
    office 08 changes the extension and they won't open on WM5.

    I'm really regretting "upgrading" to office 08 for mac
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
  7. #7  
    This really stinks. I noticed problems arising as well, but didn't tie it to the fact that I installed Office 2008. I'm having this problem with Excel and with Word files... "An error occurred reading 'x' because the file is an invalid format'. Are there any workarounds? I'm running WM5 on my Treo700w (not WM6).
    Last edited by dshillis; 04/28/2008 at 01:30 PM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dshillis View Post
    This really stinks. I noticed problems arising as well, but didn't tie it to the fact that I installed Office 2008. I'm having this problem with Excel and with Word files... "An error occurred reading 'x' because the file is an invalid format'. Are there any workarounds? I'm running WM5 on my Treo700w (not WM6).
    Today I have tried reinstalling Excel & Word under Office 2004, opening a file that WM5 says was in "an invalid format", resaving it inside 2004, and then reopening it on my WM5 Treo, but I get the same error. I also tried opening and resaving under Office 2000 Professional (Windows), but that didn't get rid of the problem either.

    Certainly there has to be SOME sort of workaround so that a file opened in 2008 and saved isn't lost forever on WM5. ANY ideas, anyone??
  9. #9  
    It may not be the best solution, but the only one I've found so far, is to do like dshillis tried; reinstalled Office 2004. However, instead of just opening the file and saving it again, as that didn't work, I opened the file, copied everything in it, and pasted it in a new file, in Excel 2004. I then saved the new file... The new file was able to be opened with pocket excel
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrennanBones View Post
    It may not be the best solution, but the only one I've found so far, is to do like dshillis tried; reinstalled Office 2004. However, instead of just opening the file and saving it again, as that didn't work, I opened the file, copied everything in it, and pasted it in a new file, in Excel 2004. I then saved the new file... The new file was able to be opened with pocket excel
    Thanks, that works. One weird thing I noticed, which may be a part of the incompatibility problems, are how the different versions handle dates. I opened up my Excel 2008 file in Excel 2004, and the dates were all wrong...instead of showing xx/xx/08, they showed xx/xx/12 (4 years later than accurate). So I retyped them all with 2008 dates, saved it in Excel 2004, and loaded it into my Excel in WM5, and guess what...the dates showed up xx/xx/04 (4 years earlier than accurate). Hmmm...
  11. #11  
    has anyone had any luck with these problems going away with Office 2008 SP1? I just created a new Word file in Office 2008 SP1 and it opened okay in WM5, but I opened an Excel file that was created in Office 2008, edited it and resaved it in Office 2008 SP1, and it still said that it was an incompatible format...
  12. #12  
    I now have problems where some excel files crash as soon as I hit save in office 08.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
  13. #13  
    I heard about not bad application-fix Excel file,
    will analyze your damaged document and show you its content in a preview window, will allow you to fix files Excel and see, which elements will be recovered and which are damaged too badly,the last ones are impossible to recover and will be lost,whether you'd like to recover all of your damaged documents manually and spend many days for this purpose, or it will be better to use an Excel files fix, it is a cheap solution for Microsoft Excel fix, that can be also called as Microsoft Excel fixer.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan24 View Post
    I heard about not bad application-fix Excel file,
    will analyze your damaged document and show you its content in a preview window, will allow you to fix files Excel and see, which elements will be recovered and which are damaged too badly,the last ones are impossible to recover and will be lost,whether you'd like to recover all of your damaged documents manually and spend many days for this purpose, or it will be better to use an Excel files fix, it is a cheap solution for Microsoft Excel fix, that can be also called as Microsoft Excel fixer.
    My problem was solved in the last update from microsoft.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.

Posting Permissions