Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Hi all, Being a long time user of PalmOS (I'm using a TH55), I have been considering the Treo 680 as my next phone and have been doing alot of research on forums about various problems/fixes related to the device.

I have a few questions though which I can't seem to find any answer on Treocentral or Treonauts despite going through the forums:

1) Did Palm fix the TGP bug in the latest ROM update? I believe the one I should get is the 2.12-ROW patch since I live in the asia pacific region.

2) I know most reviews stated poor battery life but that is mainly before Palm released the camera fix. How's the battery life now especially with music playback, no IR, no BT and minimal calls/some text messaging?

3) I'm planning to get the Transcend 16gb class-6 SDHC card for the phone. Is it true that some ROM packages will not work with the card? I remember reading some posts on (I think) treonauts that cards stopped working after applying the ROM update.

4) Very newbie question incoming If I use the Seidio headphone adapter and plug in a regular 3.5mm headphone, what will happen when a call comes in? Do I have to unplug the headphones to answer the call? Can I listen to the incoming call through the headphones and reply as normal?

5) Battery conditioning. After reading this thread, I'm still a tad bit confused:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=130449

Do I have to do a full drain twice followed by a full charge with no interaction to get full capacity on a new battery? Does that apply to the Seidio 1600mAh battery too? And I should calibrate the battery meter after cycling the battery charge twice, right?

Sorry for dumping heaps of questions in the same thread but those are the questions that are bugging me at the moment, heheh. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahrghrr View Post
    Hi all, Being a long time user of PalmOS (I'm using a TH55), I have been considering the Treo 680 as my next phone and have been doing alot of research on forums about various problems/fixes related to the device.

I have a few questions though which I can't seem to find any answer on Treocentral or Treonauts despite going through the forums:

1) Did Palm fix the TGP bug in the latest ROM update? I believe the one I should get is the 2.12-ROW patch since I live in the asia pacific region.
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with this, what is the TGP bug?

2) I know most reviews stated poor battery life but that is mainly before Palm released the camera fix. How's the battery life now especially with music playback, no IR, no BT and minimal calls/some text messaging?
    I use my Treo for music via bluetooth headphones for about 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon (during commute). I use it off and on all day checking appointments, making calls, checking addresses, occasionaly checking email, occasional txt message, and just generally using as a average user. By the end of the day even on my heavy use days I have about 1/4 of my battery left when I put it on the charger. I do have to charge every night, and this is with the standard battery and the latest ATT rom.

3) I'm planning to get the Transcend 16gb class-6 SDHC card for the phone. Is it true that some ROM packages will not work with the card? I remember reading some posts on (I think) treonauts that cards stopped working after applying the ROM update.
    Sorry, no experience with this.

4) Very newbie question incoming If I use the Seidio headphone adapter and plug in a regular 3.5mm headphone, what will happen when a call comes in? Do I have to unplug the headphones to answer the call? Can I listen to the incoming call through the headphones and reply as normal?
    If a call comes in you'll get the callers voice in stereo in your headset. Before getting the bluetooth headset, I did what you described. The music would stop, I'd use the phone to answer the call, holding the mic to my face, but using the headphones to listen.

5) Battery conditioning. After reading this thread, I'm still a tad bit confused:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=130449
    I just fully charged mine when I received it, then fully discharged it once before fully charging it again. After that I've just done my normal routine of charging every night. Seems to work fine for me.

Do I have to do a full drain twice followed by a full charge with no interaction to get full capacity on a new battery? Does that apply to the Seidio 1600mAh battery too? And I should calibrate the battery meter after cycling the battery charge twice, right?

Sorry for dumping heaps of questions in the same thread but those are the questions that are bugging me at the moment, heheh. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Just curious but are you also considering the new Centro (better camera, smaller size)? I'm skipping it just because I already own a 680 and it's not enough of an upgrade to warrant full price (In the middle of my latest 2year contract).
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Sorry, I should have been more clear about the whole TGP thingo. It is the glen phenomenon that causes rapid battery drain due to the GSM activity after receiving a call.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=TGP

Since the new ROM update was released after the last post in the TGP thread, I was wondering if the problem was fixed by Palm.

As for the Centro, I did consider it but after digging through all the reviews, I don't seem all that interested in a device with a smaller keyboard/screen. I had a chance to play around with a Treo 680 and it fits my fat palm so much better so I decided to go with the 680 over the Centro.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and advice