Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here is a strange battery drain issue:

I live in zip code 60053, and work in zip code 53144.
    I spend 4 days straight in 53144, followed by 3 days in 60053.
    Not always the same days, the 4/3 split is the average, it can be 2/5 or 5/2, so i am in either place different days or the week.

Same apps running ALL the time, so i have not listed them, but i can if anyone feels the need to know.

In 53144, signal strength is weak, 1-3 bars.
    In 60053, signal strength is strong, max bars.

Roaming Prefs set to "Home networks only" (because of the weak signal in 53144).

NOW for the STRANGENESS:

In 53144 (weak reception), the battery drain is about 1% per hour, with my Seidio 3200 battery, i have gone 4 days without a charge, although as a rule i keep the battery "topped".

In 60053 (strong reception), the battery drain is 4%-5% an hour! Less than 24 hours to dead!

I DO NOT RUN ANY DIFFERENT PROGRAMS WHILE AT HOME OR WORK.

I normally do not do a reset of any kind when changing locations, and since i did the ROM upgrade, i get a reset less than once a month.

I have tried a reset upon returning home, no difference.

Any ideas?

Sprint and palm tech support have no clue......
    Last edited by bmwk75s; 03/09/2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typo, 3/5 should be 2/5
    Scott K
    PalmPilot -> PalmPilotPro ->
    HandspringNeo w/ Sprint PCS Wireless Digital Link ->
    Treo 755p Blue -> Treo 800w

bmwr606@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwk75s View Post
    Here is a strange battery drain issue:

I live in zip code 60053, and work in zip code 53144.
    I spend 4 days straight in 53144, followed by 3 days in 60053.
    Not always the same days, the 4/3 split is the average, it can be 2/5 or 5/2, so i am in either place different days or the week.

Same apps running ALL the time, so i have not listed them, but i can if anyone feels the need to know.

In 53144, signal strength is weak, 1-3 bars.
    In 60053, signal strength is strong, max bars.

Roaming Prefs set to "Home networks only" (because of the weak signal in 53144).

NOW for the STRANGENESS:

In 53144 (weak reception), the battery drain is about 1% per hour, with my Seidio 3200 battery, i have gone 4 days without a charge, although as a rule i keep the battery "topped".

In 60053 (strong reception), the battery drain is 4%-5% an hour! Less than 24 hours to dead!

I DO NOT RUN ANY DIFFERENT PROGRAMS WHILE AT HOME OR WORK.

I normally do not do a reset of any kind when changing locations, and since i did the ROM upgrade, i get a reset less than once a month.

I have tried a reset upon returning home, no difference.

Any ideas?

Sprint and palm tech support have no clue......

Howdy BMWK75s,

I am now on my third 755p (sprint) in as many weeks. SAME SYMPTOMS on all phones. I kept #2 a virgin (no sync., card, or transfer of anything from previous BU's). I do not use any email programs and rarely Blazer (I always manually disconnect when finished). Kept #3 @ v 1.04 spnt for a few days
    then went to 1.07. Still no joy! Roaming prefs. set to 'home networks only'.

Symptoms include, but not limited to:
    -flickering 'data square' - blue background w/ up-down arrows -
    alternating with a green EV square.
    -Horrible battery drain (24 hr. max life) w/ little usage. Warm.
    -Often unable to make or receive calls w/ 5 bars showing. If I try to
    redial 4 times the phone will turn off, then back on and I can make
    the call. The phone does not do a soft reset, nor Sprint splash screen
    saying 'powering off' or 'welcome'. The sequence is Sprint > phone off >
    network search > Sprint. Now I will have only 2 bars and will usually get
    a voicemail notification. I might have to do this 3 or 4 times daily! I did
    not require this much 'privacy' when I upgraded from the bulletproof 650.

It does seem now to be more service related than phone related. Is Sprint
    'releasing' this phone from its network when signal is low so it tries to roam?

I will contact Sprint's ATS (advanced tech. supp.) again this evening for any
    addit. info. Meanwhile, any inmates out there found a REAL solution?

parkerltng

palmIII > kyocera 6035p > treo 650p > R1200GS > treo 755p

Battery drain similar to 'searching for network' drain.
    Last edited by ParkerLtng; 03/12/2008 at 08:04 PM.
    Pretty sure it has to be service related, because my phone does not get warm (maybe unless I download large files for hours on end).

I get weak signal in my office because of the walls/etc so I also get random switching between EVDO blue and green triangles, yet still the battery does not drain "significantly" (can always go more than 24 hours). Using Seidio 3200mAh battery also.

Right now I have Power Hero set to disconnect the network automatically after 5 mins of inactivity and to turn off the phone if it can't find a signal for 10 mins. Also have my email set to pull schedule of 1 hour (I used SME though, so even if I use push email it uses sms rather than data connection).
    I am ALWAYS connected, VersaMail is auto-syncing every 15 minutes on my consulting business email account and every hour on a personal email account, PLUS i am always logged onto yahoo IM using the built in im program.

might as well add that i use a bluetooth earpiece so that bluetooth is on all the time also.

i can go 4 days in 53144 without a charge but only a day in 60053!

the only weird thing is the difference in battery life between the 2 areas......1% an hour drain in 53144 zip with a 1-3 bar signal and 3%-4% an hour drain in 60053 with a maximum bar signal.
    Last edited by bmwk75s; 03/13/2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: add detail
    Scott K
    PalmPilot -> PalmPilotPro ->
    HandspringNeo w/ Sprint PCS Wireless Digital Link ->
    Treo 755p Blue -> Treo 800w

bmwr606@yahoo.com
    FWIW,

I deleted SMS from ram yesterday (per cvela90) and actually was able to use the Treo 755p as a phone all day - how cool!
    Also see normal battery decline (approx. 28% in 24 hrs.) instead of rapid depletion.
    Since this is a seldom used feature, I do not notice the absence. If I require sms features, a hard reset should return it.

This is working for me, tho I can't say exactly why.

Good luck,
    parkerltng
    How do you remove SMS from the internal memory if it's included in the ROM?

It shouldn't be delete-able.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12