1.    #1  
    Wanted to make a quick post about what turned out to be a great customer service experience with Asurion, the company that administers Sprint's Total Equipment Protection insurance program.

Long story short here are the highlights:
    • Wife's red Centro won't sync via the cable
    • Local Sprint techs find "corrosion" won't fix it, point me to the insurance plan
    • I bite the bullet and call Asurion, pay the $50 deductible
    • Rep says "You're in luck, we've got red reconditioned ones in stock, will go right out"
    • Wife is dying to get a pink one, so I ask "You don't have any pink ones do you?"
    • Turns out, yes they do have brand new pink ones, they'll send it right out
    • Box arrives overnight to Hawaii, it's a black one
    • Wife not happy, but I figure they'll just tell me the insurance only guarantees a comparable phone
    • But nope, "Sorry about that, we'll send another out right away"
    • A few days later we get another box. Red one this time.
    • So I call them back, "Sorry about that again, we'll send an email to the warehouse to make sure they wait for pink ones in stock"
    • Week later, pink Centro arrives.
    • Wife is very pleased, and therefore, so am I

Overall it was a much better experience than I expected. They definitely lost money on the deal with the repeated shipping to Hawaii, though I guess that's what the $7 per month covers.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

eKennedy
    The sad thing is that Sprint / Asurion could've turned that around to be a more postive experience. When they sent the black phone they could've emailed you and said something like,
    "We apologize for any inconvenience, but we currently out of stock of the pink Centros, but didn't want you to be without a phone, so we've sent this black one temporarily until we get a pink one in stock."
    Or something to that effect. Now that would have really turned everyone's attitude around.
    Um....great experience with Asurion, but how come your wifes phone wasn't covered under the 1 year warranty provided through Palm?

So are you saying that the sprint techs found corrosion indicating that the phone got wet? Did it? I mean that seems like an easy out for Sprint.

Your phone should have been replaced with a refurbed phone and you should not have had to pay a deductible because you should not have had to go through Asurion at all.

Asurion insures your phone against loss or theft and against defects after the 1 year warranty, but the Centro hasn't been out a full year so all Centros should still be covered under the manufacturer warranty.

K
    Last edited by nchargreed; 03/02/2008 at 12:34 AM.
    Corrosion where?
    The hot sync cable or on the Centro itself?
    You can usually clean the contacts on your phone yourself with some rubbing alcohol or something.
    I've owned lots of phones and still have some phones that are 3+ years old and there are no corrosion.
    Tell your wife to take better care of her phone.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Usually if there is corrosion it got wet some how. Even if you have your phone in the bathroom with you while you take a shower the steam can cause condensation and therefore cause corrosion. That is not covered under manufacturer warranty.
    I had one swapped at a store. Turns out wife dropped her phone in water on curb side. (something she eluded telling me...) However, I had it replaced with a red one without a deductible payed.
    when it breaks due to your own fault it's always a crapshoot trying to get it replaced under warranty at a sprint store. depends on the tech, their mood, how you come off... It's always worth a try before resorting to using insurance.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Usually if there is corrosion it got wet some how. Even if you have your phone in the bathroom with you while you take a shower the steam can cause condensation and therefore cause corrosion. That is not covered under manufacturer warranty.

I get that but, c'mon, unless the phone gets wet wet, corrosion is something an old phone might develop from repeated exposure to moisture in the atmosphere. Just considering that the phone is likely younger than 6 months old seems a gimme that they would just replace the phone under warranty. Its no loss to Sprint they simply get reimbursed thru Palm.

YO EKENNEDY, you started this.....whats the full story, did your wife drop her phone in the toilet or do yall live in a sauna?

K
    Last edited by nchargreed; 03/02/2008 at 08:12 PM.
    The reason I do not have the insurance is I got (almost) burned a few years ago. Now granted, it was Verizon I was with at the time, but I have had a bad feeling about these kinds of insurance plans since then. I have never been able to get a good description of when the deductible kicks in and when it wouldn't. There are obvious ones, if you can't bring the phone in or you must bring it in several ziplock bags and you "are pretty sure you have all the pieces but there might be a part of the lawnmower in there to though" then it's a pretty good chance you will pay the $50. But I'm looking for the less obvous ones. For example, the end call button stops working one day or the screen flickers if you hold it a certain way.

I had a Kyocera 6035 (a much older palm phone) and since the phone was not cheap, I bought the more expensive/cover everything plan. At the time Verizon had 3 plans. 1) Extended warranty (~$4 per month), anything that would be covered under warranty is covered under this plan but nothing else. Take the phone to Verizon and they give you a refurbished one on the spot. 2) Loss/damage (~$4 per month, same price as extended warranty) that covered dropping in the pool, etc. or loss of the phone. Pay a $50 deductible and they will mail you a new phone. 3) Both (~$6 per month), gives you an extended warranty plus covers the phone if you lose it or otherwise damage it. This one was take it to the Verizon store and pay the $50 deductible and they gave you a refurbished phone on the spot.

So, like I said I got the most expensive plan. 11 months (into a 12 month factory warranty) the phone stops working and gives me a blinking dot in the top left corner. I take it to Verizon and they tell me that they had seen this and it was covered by the manufacturers warranty. He gets my info and then says "there is a $50 deductible, do you want to pay that now or add it to your next bill." So I asked, if this is covered by the manufacturers warranty, why would I have to pay a deductible? Well, it turns out that by having the cover it all plan, I was stuck with a $50 deductible no matter what. So I said that was rediculous, walked out of the store and called Verizon to cancel the cover-it-all plan. Then the next day went in and got my new phone on the spot because it was covered by the factory warranty.

After that I started thinking about it. Why get the $6 per month plan that has a $50 deductible when I could just get $4 per month loss/damage plan, since I was covered by the existing warranty anyway. Especially when they both were going to cost me $50! Why would anyone get the more expensive plan, just "lose" the phone if it stops working. You are paying $50 anway! Then I go to looking on E-Bay, and a used 6035 was about $50 without the cradle, battery, etc. So why pay $72 per year for the privelege of paying $50 for something I could already get for $50? Go forward another year and my phone buttons stop working, now no longer covered by the warranty. Low and behold, a used one on E-Bay is now $15, with all the stuff that came with it, so I get an extra cradle, battery, etc.

Now I'm with Sprint, and have the Centro. The plan is now $7 per month, but I can't get a straight answer on when the $50 deductible would kick in. If the salesman was telling the truth, I can only sign up for the plan in the first 30 days of owning the phone. Why would I start paying for an extended warranty before the existing warranty ran out? If all I need is the extended warranty, then an additional year of warranty will cost me $154 on a phone I got for $50 and could buy without the contract for $350 at the Sprint store.

If my trend continues, the problem I will have with my centro will be warranty type issues (mechanical and/or firmware type failures) at around the 1 year time frame. So lets say that's what happens with my Centro. I pay $7 per year for 12 months ($77) plus $50 deductible. That is $127. I just looked on ebay, I can get a used Centro for ~$130 (auction closes in minutes). By this time next year, the Centro will probably be cheaper on e-bay so I guess I will still take my chances.
    Be glad you can insure your phone. AT&T won't offer insurance on treo's or blackbery's.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed View Post

I get that but, c'mon, unless the phone gets wet wet, corrosion is something an old phone might develop from repeated exposure to moisture in the atmosphere. Just considering that the phone is likely younger than 6 months old seems a gimme that they would just replace the phone under warranty. Its no loss to Sprint they simply get reimbursed thru Palm.

YO EKENNEDY, you started this.....whats the full story, did your wife drop her phone in the toilet or do yall live in a sauna?

K
    I understand that, I was just saying that that is what they will say, been there done that.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Sprint insurance is worth the 7 bucks a month. The only treo I have paid for was my original 650. Every treo after that was an upgrade after something broke.

Get the insurance it is worth it.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway