Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I went to operas site on my desktop and downloaded Opera Mini 4 prc for the 755p, synced(had the java vm on device), now I'm up and running! Some pics dont load all the way on big pages. Looks pretty good!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    On Second thought, not very stable, froze after like 6 links. Any help?
    go into the java vm settings and allocate 8 mb of memory and 32kb per thread and tell me how that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandygeek View Post
    On Second thought, not very stable, froze after like 6 links. Any help?

I was waiting for this. But I didn't think it would be this soon.

Opera seems to work better if you lighten it's load.

Undr Opera Tools/Settings:

Load Images 'Enabled'
    Image Quality at 'Medium'
    Font size at 'Medium'
    Mobile 'Disabled'
    Visual Effects 'Disabled'
    Show Overview 'Disabled'
    Clock enabled or disabled, your choice.
    Nothing in Protocol

In JVM (in the device prefs panel)

Use Global Prefs
    'Enable' Double Buffering
    'Enable' High Resolution Coords
    Set Memory max to 4 mb's
    Set Max Java Thread Stack size to 32 kb's

I found my phat thumb on the screen caused Opera to freeze more often.
    So I use the 5Way to scroll around most, or the Stylus.

I can go for hours or days without a freeze or crash. But they will happen intermittenly.

I am posting this using Opera on my Sprint 700p.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Both of your boost helped, but it still choked. Maybe a app I have is causing it to freeze. Well its nice for the first minutes it works. Wish I had the stamina!
    Only sucky thing about this is, no copy/paste
    I got a url link from my sister, and it sucked in Blazer, so I wanted to load it in Opera Mini, and no paste
    thats the only real bad thing about opera... the java runs like crap on most if not all palm phones.

unfortunately, theres not much you can do about it.
    Having used Java extensively in the past, the settings in its preferences is all you can do. It just is not what we want it to be.

Ben
    Really wish palm can do java good. I love opera mini.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
    Quote Originally Posted by mutantblack View Post
    Really wish palm can do java good. I love opera mini.
    haha, youre everywhere arent you?

but yeah.. to me, the opera browser is pretty neat, if only it worked properly.
    I read the above on changing settings. I have two questions

First, if you take out visual effects and overview, what changes?

Second, I can't find any JVM settings to change. In preferences, all it shows is last "something" shown, no settings whatsoever.
    I had choking on my 755p with 8mb + 16kb or 32kb thread stack, so I lowered the memory and stack and now it's pretty stable. Some settings would work for a while but after browsing for a bit it would soft reset.

I have JVM global settings all to the minimum and set Opera Mini to use its own settings, rather than global.

Use double buffering
    Use high resolution coordinates
    4mb + 8kb stack size.

Visual Effects disabled in Opera. Working pretty stable for me now

JVM settings are in the phone preferences, not Opera Mini preferences.
    sorry for the n00b Q - but where can one get the JVM now that palm yanked it?
    http://www.myrapidmd.com/palm_downloads/JVM.zip

Also make sure you are using the latest JVM, 5.7.2

Some users reported that it was a bit more stable for them than 5.7.1, which a lot of people are actually using.
    sorry, I am a newbie, but how do I unzip the above file? what program does that?
    You can just unzip it on your PC with winzip/winrar and hotsync the files.
    Any word on Opera mini 4.5 for Palm? I remember reading about the 4.5 and how everything has been revamped for faster loads and more stability.

Anyone know?
    When a incoming call comes in during an Opera session. do you still see that 'small' incoming call screen? the palm 'freezes' and its hard to answer the phone..

Looks like Palm did not have much success with the 700p/755p that they have to play with form factor and colors now just to stay in business..
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Works great on my Centro.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I should say that Blazer works so well on my Centro that I hardly use Opera Mini anymore. I used to use Mini 95 per cent of the time on my Treo 650, but I use Blazer 95 per cent of the time on my Centeo.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast