1.    #1  
    I've been searching and reading a bit and I'm a little confused...

I'm pondering getting a Centro (currently have a 680) but I also want to upgrade my storage to 8G to hold more music. So the obvious thing to do would be to get microSD for now until I do update. (ie: When a non-puke-green Centro comes out for ex-Cingular)

Ignoring the Palm Card application, are there problems with other aplications? If I put 6G of music on the card, will Pocket Tunes play it? A few videos, will Core Player play them?

I never sync with the computer, I'd be putting the files on the card via a card reader.
    I have the Sprint Treo, and I can guarantee it works with 4 GB MicroSD cards.

You won't be able to sync big files (500+ MB), like a movie onto the Centro. It'll take forever and never complete. I ended up having to delete all vestiges of the file from the card and the palm directories on my computer. If you do handle big files, it's faster to simply pop out the card and move the files directly into the card, then put it back into the Centro.

"Pics&Videos" the movie player that came with the Sprint Centro is only good for short movies, because all you can do is play and pause. Fine for short clips, but if you wanted to watch parts of a movie on your daily commute... not really good enough.

pTunes seems decent enough for music. It'll handle playlists, and selecting music by track name or album name.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I use TCPMP instead of "pics & videos" player since it handles divx and xvid and is free. To transfer movies to card I use filePC2PDA (plugin that lets TotalCommander access the card directly (sort of a freeware CardReader solution)). Usually a typical movie is around 300-350 megs in size.... transfers with no problem.
    I just upgraded from a 680 to an unlocked Centro and am using a Sandisk 8gb MicroSD with no issues (other than the fact that Palm only sees 4gb chunks)...works great and much much faster than the Patriot 8gb sd I had in the 680
  5. e40
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalloneeh View Post
    ... other than the fact that Palm only sees 4gb chunks...
    What does that mean? It appears as 2x4gb cards? You can only see 1/2 of the space at a time?
    Quote Originally Posted by e40 View Post
    What does that mean? It appears as 2x4gb cards? You can only see 1/2 of the space at a time?
    It means officially the Centro does not report the full size of the card correctly using the Card Info app.

In practice, it means really nothing as you can use all 8gb. So I have a 6gb card with 4.8gb of music on it, transfered via pTunes and there are no problems.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by smart_alec View Post
    I have the Sprint Treo, and I can guarantee it works with 4 GB MicroSD cards.

You won't be able to sync big files (500+ MB), like a movie onto the Centro. It'll take forever and never complete. I ended up having to delete all vestiges of the file from the card and the palm directories on my computer. If you do handle big files, it's faster to simply pop out the card and move the files directly into the card, then put it back into the Centro.

"Pics&Videos" the movie player that came with the Sprint Centro is only good for short movies, because all you can do is play and pause. Fine for short clips, but if you wanted to watch parts of a movie on your daily commute... not really good enough.

pTunes seems decent enough for music. It'll handle playlists, and selecting music by track name or album name.

Yeah the program card reader will solve your xfer problem with 500MB+ files but I have to say if your movie file is over 300MB you didn't do it right dvd movies made for a treo should be less then 300MB and will still look great.
  8.    #8  
    Good news everyone, thanks for the input! I was afraid there would be some problems reading files over the 4G barrier but sounds like there's no issues now.

Thanks!
    The POS kernel feature that determines how much free space is left on the card uses a 32-bit algorithm. 2B^32=4GB. I think, though, the SD card manages the filing, so it is still possible to read & write despite that limitation.

What happens is that sometimes the POS thinks it's out of space and prevents you from writing to the card when space used on the card is near a multiple of 4GB's.

This in no way appears to affect reading from the card.

Now, if Palm would just come out with a little PATCH to POS that fixes this problem, we'd all be happy!

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    does it make a difference if the card is greater than 4GB whether its microSD or SDHC?
    Quote Originally Posted by snumblock View Post
    does it make a difference if the card is greater than 4GB whether its microSD or SDHC?

MicroSD and SDHC do not stand in an opposing relationship.

By definition of the standard, any microSD card that is 4GB or higher is SDHC.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    If I have this right the Class makes a theoretical difference speed wise. Idk of anyone comparing classes in a real world, true comparison.
    I have read that class 2 is not good for Video. Will class 4 sdhc cards be good enough for video? Was looking at a Sandisk 6Gb card but I am not sure what class it is. I can't find it listed on Sandisks site but Newegg sells it. Anyone know what class it is.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820171308

Off topic: Can anyone tell me what app is best for encoding video for the Centro. What types of files can the Pics&Videos app play?
    I believe MPeg4's work pretty well.