Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Did any of you come from an iPhone? I currently use the iPhone but Ive had my eye on the Centro since it came out. I finally ordered one from Expansys this morning after I found out they had the black one unlocked. Now I dont have to use the att version with all their crap on it! Seems like alot of Centro owners are coming from Treos. Any of you come from an iPhone? Ive tried to ditch the iPhone a couple times but keep coming back for the ipod features. But Im tired of waiting for MMS and the SDK is now rumored to be delayed! The Centro looks like a nice, simple easy to use phone! I just hope it works for me!
    KevinM,

I had Treos from the 650 (almost 2years), 680 (15mths) and now Centro and palms all the way back to the 3e.

I also bought an Iphone when they first were able to unlock them and brought one to Canada.

It lasted 1 week before I sold it.

Iphone Pro's
    - best browser on the market
    - ipod interface/music is great

Iphone Con's
    - gimmicky (graphics when switching screens)
    - no 3rd party software
    - horrible PIM (just try entering an appointment and see how long it takes)
    - email no where near as good as Treo's
    - no keyboard - virtually impossible to type quickly

The iphone is an entertainment device, NOT a business phone. I know of no serious successful businessman in the corporate world that uses one as their main device.

If you're looking for a feature packed smartphone that can do just about everything, the Centro is fantastic. But then again I'm biased.

I should also mention that I also purchased a TyTn II back in November unlocked. It also lasted 1 week before it went back.

The hardware specs were amazing and I loved HSDPA speeds, but Microsoft Mobile is horrible. FAR too many clicks to get ANYTHING done. No where near as intuitive as Palm and it drove me crazy in the week I had it.

Good luck....
    Thought I would wake this one up once. I own an iPhone and think that it is a really great iPod with phone abilities. Safari has been the best phone web browser I have used to date. Now it serves as an iPod Touch and does pretty good at that. I gave the Centro a try and in the first week, it seems to hold up pretty well. I used the xpressmail web client to get my corporate emails but, that proved to be cumbersome. Direct push beats web client especially on EDGE. Think the Tilt was more capable. Outlook Mobile is the best stock PIM out there, IMO. But, it would not open password protected spread sheets. Docs to Go still outperforms WM Office. Day 6 with the Centro and it appears that I will be keeping it. Tough choice because of all the iTunes I already own.

Bottom line, business phone, the iPhone still isn't and won't be for a while.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Quote Originally Posted by electroman View Post
    Tough choice because of all the iTunes I already own.
    Why not convert them to ogg vorbis or mp3 - either with the detour of burning them to CD first or by using one of the programs that simulate an AudioCD on your PC harddisk and so offer a "one stop" approach?

Last time I looked, both methods were still legal in Europe.

Regards,

Jochen
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    Why not convert them to ogg vorbis or mp3 - either with the detour of burning them to CD first or by using one of the programs that simulate an AudioCD on your PC harddisk and so offer a "one stop" approach?

Last time I looked, both methods were still legal in Europe.

Regards,

Jochen
    Jochen

I have searched and searched for one of these CD emulators, as a websearch and through sites like CNET, with no luck. I can find programs that allow you to put CD's onto your hard drive, but nothing that Itunes will see as a "burner" available for writing to.

Any assistance you could give would be greatly appreciated.
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    I disaggree with the previous statement that iPhone's email is inferior to Treo's. The iPhone displays full pictures/graphics within emails. I have yet to find a Treo program which will.
    True, however, the iPhone only handles MS Exchange if IMAP is enabled and can't do direct push. I was looking at the difference between hassling with the Xpress Mail web client in Safari and Xpress Mail on the Centro. In fairness, the mail client (Outlook) in WM works better for Exchange and Xpressmail than Palm because it is all put together. Without Copy and Paste, you can still receive an email in one account and send it out in another. iPhone cannot do that at all.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

I'll chime in. I've been a Treo 650 user for a few years. (I like the Palm platform so I didn't upgrade in the interem). I'm also a iPod user and I have an 80gig that is FULL... Needless to say with all of these gadgets I was very interested in consolidating both devices without sacrificing and the iPhone hsn't allowed me to do so. First I need business capabilities for which the iPhone doesn't offer. I cannot log into my office network from the iPhone so that was a major blow to me. No third party software is avaiable on the iPhone and lets face it, thats why I love the Palm the added flexibility I just wasn't willing to give up. If that wasn't enough... 8 Gigs of space was an insult.

I did hear on CNBC today that Apple is considering making a businessman's version of the iPhone though. Now whatever that means, just passing on a blurb I heard. Until I can perform my job with my phone, like I can with my Centro, I can't even think about switching, and if I still have to carry two devices, for the sake of my wallet, I might as well keep what I have.
    I am a long time Palm user, but I did get caught up in the iphone hooplah. I got one and it lasted me about two weeks before I sold it to my brother in law. It is not a business machine it is a toy. I agree with the previous poster. The best mp3 interface and the best mobile browser hands down. The clumsy OS and the virtual keyboard sucked badly. No 3rd party software you would think those arogant SOB's at Apple would of learned their lesson after the Apple IIc. It is widely believed that if Apple would of allowed outside software most people would be using a MAC today not a PC. To me the centro is the best smartphone I have ever owned. I am pretty happy with it all around.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I don't really have any major qualms with TCPMP or PTunes, so it would take a lot more than just multimedia functionality to switch me to a phone.