Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I already got mine for free but this just isn't right....

According to the home page over at PocketSensei (towards the bottom), the following line states:

"SilverScreen 1.9 customers will be entitled to upgrade to SilverScreen 2.0 and all 2.x versions for free."

But yet they are charging $9.95 for the upgrade to 2.0 at PalmGear.com

I sent an email off to the sales dept at PS. I'll let you all know what happens.
    If you're running OS 3.5 then 2-bit icons should display without any modifications.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    If you're running OS 3.5 then 2-bit icons should display without any modifications.
    This is true, except most apps don't come with the additional 2-bit icon, they usually have the 1-bit, b/w icon and a color icon. SilverScreen fills the void by allowing the user to modify the app by adding/changing the 2-bit grayscale icon. Hence, there is the ability to have 3 icons in the app. I have found some apps that already have this but not many. I wish I had an OS 3.5 device so that I could use the grayscale icons in the default launcher without using a 3rd party product such as ScreenPrefs.
    hmmm..clicked on the link in the first post, it says the developer has removed it from the db...so where do i get SS2.0?
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by mavr1k west
    hmmm..clicked on the link in the first post, it says the developer has removed it from the db...so where do i get SS2.0?
    Here is the link to SS2 http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...9&prodID=15676
    I sent Pocket Sensei an email earlier this afternoon inquiring about the upgrade and registration fee.

There is a lag time between when a product is shown on PalmGear and when it can first be purchased. We too are waiting on PalmGear to add the "Buy" button. It should be up late today or tomorrow.

This SilverScreen Upgrade will cost $9.95 and is only for users who
    purchased SilverScreen prior to February 14, 2001 and wish to upgrade to SilverScreen 2.0.

The regular SilverScreen download for new users and those who purchased v1.9 will come up late today or on Tuesday.

There will be a link on our home page for those wishing to stay at
    v1.9.8 so they can re-download and install the older version.

Sorry for the confusion and enjoy the new version!

Software Support
    PocketSensei
    I agree - it's not right that they promised free upgrades and are now planning to charge for them. BTW, I downloaded it pretty early today and I didn't get the registered version. It prompted me to enter a registration code when I first powered up after installing.
    Last edited by MoKoni; 06/18/2001 at 06:19 PM.
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by smittyofdhs
    I already got mine for free but this just isn't right....

According to the home page over at PocketSensei (towards the bottom), the following line states:

"SilverScreen 1.9 customers will be entitled to upgrade to SilverScreen 2.0 and all 2.x versions for free."

But yet they are charging $9.95 for the upgrade to 2.0 at PalmGear.com

I sent an email off to the sales dept at PS. I'll let you all know what happens.
    ***UPDATE***

I just received an email from the the Sales dept of PocketSensei. Now I'm more confused then before. Here is the email I got back, you can figure it out for yourself.....

Dear Customer,

We are excited to announce the release of SilverScreen Tuesday, June 19! Thanks to your support SilverScreen has become the worldwide #1 bestselling launcher replacement!

SilverScreen 2.0 will be free for you to download as well as all 2.x versions. PalmGear sent two different code numbers to many 1.9 purchasers. Make sure you are using the code number ending in "58" rather than "41" to enable the full 2.0 version when it is available (if you are using the "SS10-xxxx-xxxx-xx41" code change it to "SS10-xxxx-xxxx-xx58" in the Registration dialog.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

As always, stay tuned and enjoy the show!

If it's free to registered users, then why is the upgrade for sale at PalmGear?
  8.    #28  
    Originally posted by MoKoni
    It prompted me to enter a registration code when I first powered up after installing.
    Did you install it over the previous version? I had 1.98 installed and registered, then installed 2.0 over the top of 1.98. It never prompted me for a reg code and if I go into registration, it shows that it's registered.
    I installed right over my old version 1.9.8 also. Why did Pocket Sensei tell me that I had to pay for it, but told smitty that he didn't have to? Smitty - did you buy SS version 1.9.8 or did you upgrade to that after purchasing 1.8?
    Hmmm... I tried switching the last two digits of my old registration number (for version 1.8) to "58" and I now have a registered version of SS 2.0! Thanks smitty!
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by MoKoni
    Hmmm... I tried switching the last two digits of my old registration number (for version 1.8) to "58" and I now have a registered version of SS 2.0! Thanks smitty!
    No problem MoKoni!!!

I just received another emails from PocketSensei and it reads....

It is not free to all registered users. Only 1.9 customers.

I've emailed back to them and told they need to clarify this situation. At PalmGear it says the upgrade is for "1.x to 2.0". As long as I've been in the computer biz, "1.x" means "1.1 - 1.9", not "1.1-1.8" as they are interpreting it per this email. All I can say is that there are going to be some pissed off people if the pay the $9.95 fee and didn't need to.
    Jeez,

I thought the changes pocketsensei made were good. I only see complainers here. They seem to be making positive changes and continue to try and make it better. The scrolling does not seem to fast. Maybe some of you need new eye prescriptions.

As for me, I say good job on Silverscreen, Pocketsensei!!!!

F
    Originally posted by satcs
    The scrolling does not seem to fast. Maybe some of you need new eye prescriptions
    Seems wicked fast on my edge, what are you using... I even tried to underclock it to slow it down and no luck... Maybe I do need new glasses....

Don't get me wrong, SS is a great little app, that's why I registered it. But I discovered that I need more from a launcher, and chose functionality over looks.

What I've done in the past is change the icon using SS, then delete SS. Then I use a program like ScreenPrefs that allows the default launcher to show 2 bit grayscale icons. Sounds lie this is what you are doing with LIII and SS. yes?
    Exacto. LIII has a "Force to Gray-Scale" option, though Rom apps do not change their appearance anywhere but in SS
    I have a Prism with afterburner installed running at 43 MHZ. I'm not sure what could be different but I would not want it much slower. The tabs on the bottom work well.

F
  15.    #35  
    Is anybody having this problem?

the grayscale setting isn't staying set. If I set the gray levels from Options|Gray Levels to a desired level, then go to another app and back to SS, the gray levels have changed back to lighter then what I set. The slider stays in the same place but the level is just lower. I then have to move the slider up one notch and back down, then my gray levels are back to what I set them to.

Try it out, see if you have the same problem. Set the gray levels to be really dark, then go to another program and back. Did you gray levels stay dark or did they reset to a lighter shade?

Thx!
  16.    #36  
    Is anybody having this problem?

the grayscale setting isn't staying set. If I set the gray levels from Options|Gray Levels to a desired level, then go to another app and back to SS, the gray levels have changed back to lighter then what I set. The slider stays in the same place but the level is just lower. I then have to move the slider up one notch and back down, then my gray levels are back to what I set them to.

Try it out, see if you have the same problem. Set the gray levels to be really dark, then go to another program and back. Did you gray levels stay dark or did they reset to a lighter shade?

Thx!
    the grayscale setting isn't staying set. If I set the gray levels from Options|Gray Levels to a desired level, then go to another app and back to SS, the gray levels have changed back to lighter then what I set
    We're a whiny bunch, aren't we!?? PocketSensei comes out with a new version of their software, and all we do is complain!

Yep, I noticed that I was adjusting the contrast all the time also... I've given up on SS now and will wait until some fixes comes out.
  18.    #38  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

We're a whiny bunch, aren't we!?? PocketSensei comes out with a new version of their software, and all we do is complain!

Yep, I noticed that I was adjusting the contrast all the time also... I've given up on SS now and will wait until some fixes comes out.
    I don't feel that we are whiners. I'm an Info Tech Director so I have to deal with these issues all the time. I try to find all the "pitfalls" before the staff finds them. I try to identify the problem and report it to the developer so that they can fix it ASAP. This way I can "nip the problem in the bud". Now, of course, this is just an "eye candy" piece of software that the staff may never use but I deal with many platforms and s/w everyday so it's just in my nature to question the short-comings of any given software. I'm sure Mark Peters over at PocketSensei is tired of hearing from me, but I'm just troubleshooting problems he's going to find out about in the weeks to come. Maybe this will help get the fix completed sooner.

I actually really like the new look with the category tab, it completes the appearance of SS. I just hope that the fixes for the given problems aren't months away.
    I cant get it to try it out! Is there a way to post files on VC? I would luv to try it out.

PDA@aacpas.com
    I don't feel that we are whiners. [...] Maybe this will help get the fix completed sooner.
    Yep... I just keep thinking of myself when I first found this site... I would almost think that SS was a bad prog..

I actually really like the new look with the category tab, it completes the appearance of SS. I just hope that the fixes for the given problems aren't months away.
    I'm waffling on that. I like it, but what would be ideal is to set it so that when you drag, it automatically pulls up the toolbar instead of the tab bar... Ok, now I'm going to give it another shot...

...There's not a way to hide tabs, right?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast