Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan View Post
    Yeah, my only gripe is battery life. If someone makes an improved battery that's the same size I'll be all over it.

Friday I had a decent amount of emails. By the time I went to bed the battery was down to about 30% - no calls that day. I'm gonna wait a while to decide if I can live with the battery life.
    If the battery cannot last for 2 days, it doesn't matter whether it has 40% or 20% because you still need to charge it. The most important is the charging time.
    Hi folks,

I have had my 650 since 3/05 and loved it despite it's glitches (occasional crash, sync challenges with PC&Groupwise, sync challenges with Mac). Tons of doctors carry PDA's because of all the software with medical reference databases on them. And as a physician, that's how I used my 650, as my PDA (replaced T/T3) which happened to also be a cool phone. The big constraint for me on 650 was the 24 mb of user-available RAM memory. At a point, I just had to start choosing which apps to keep and which to dump. I used SD card for those which gave the flexibility to do so, but I still couldn't fit all the PDA software on memory. I just moved up and with 64 mb RAM, I can fit all I want with tons of room to spare. I can now try out new software and see if I like it because I have the room to do so in RAM. Really couldn't do this before.

Now if you are mainly a web/phone/e-mail user, the onboard 24 mb RAM on Treo 650 probably was perfectly fine. But as a heavy Palm PDA user, the limited memory made the Treo 650 lacking. But that was probably its only deficiency, otherwise I loved it. Still haven't decided what to do with my old 650. After I start to trust my new Palm smartphone, then all that will stand between me and parting with my 650 is reluctance to part with all that nostalgia!

-- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bergman View Post
    Did you just hot synch the new Centro to your previous data or did you re-install the apps individually?
    i reinstalled apps and data individually either by hotsync or by BackupBuddyVFS on a micro SD card (from 650 to Centro). I wanted to avoid writing over some newer apps that Centro already has (pTunes, Documents). And I wanted to use BackupBuddy for my Contacts (because my Mac doesn't copy over Palm's categories). No problems and Centro is stable so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    If the battery cannot last for 2 days, it doesn't matter whether it has 40% or 20% because you still need to charge it. The most important is the charging time.
    True - I was charging my 650 every night. My concern is, though, that I'll have a heavy day and the phone won't make it. That would annoy me.

It seems to be a bit more power efficient...if the 1100mAh can almost hang with the 1800mAh of my Treo then the Centro with that 200mAh battery would rule.

I would also be happy to buy a 1500 or 1600mAh battery that didn't require a new battery door. That would rule.
  5. e40
    In general, the 650 -> Centro has been a good move for me. The only thing that annoys me: I have to press harder on my Centro screen, even with my new 2-in-1 Seidio stylus. I haven't decided if I have a bad Centro. I'm thinking of taking it into the AT&T store and checking out the demo models, just to be sure.

What do people think of my chances of getting an in-store replacement, if I decide mine is "broken"?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Even though OP has decided to stay with the 650 this thread has got me thinking about how much I like my Centro over my 650 which I had for 2 years.

The two drawbacks I can think of -
    * battery life not so good
    * smaller keyboard ( which I got used to and can type pretty fast on now)

What I like
    * bluetooth headset chimes in as soon as I make or receive a call. On my 650 it would take several seconds to kick in.
    * fast internet speeds. makes browsing possible, makes google maps awesome (oh yah, I use google maps everday with traffic)
    * small size
    * much more stable
    * syncs contacts, calendar and inbox with exchange out of the box with direct push technology. emails typically come in faster on my phone than in Outlook
    * plenty of free memory
    * ringo is now rock solid
    * hardly have to reset the phone. I think I've done it once or twice after a few months
    * did I mention I love the size?

Its a great phone overall and a definite upgrade to the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by amdaxiom View Post
    Even though OP has decided to stay with the 650 this thread has got me thinking about how much I like my Centro over my 650 which I had for 2 years.

* fast internet speeds. makes browsing possible, makes google maps awesome (oh yah, I use google maps everday with traffic)
    Are you using the AT&T GSM Centro? That's not 3G, is it?
    Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    palm sells an Extended battery for the centro although teh battery cover is an additional 7 bucks.
    This thread is very helpful as I am currently watching to see what everyone thinks about the GSM Centro before taking the plunge. I have a hard time moving to a phone that still doesn't have wifi or 3g. I have modest uses for my 650 and don't use it for anything other than an address book and some medical software.

How does the reception compare between the two models(650 and Centro)? My wife's 680 seems to be better than my 650 in general, but mine is still very usable. I have heard in general that the Blackberry models are typically better than the Palm counterparts. I also heard that the iPhone isn't much better than the Palm models.

Comments?
    I just switched from Treo 650 to Centro.

I've been with the 650 since Feb 05. I think it was introduced around that time for cingular.

Battery Life: I had the extended battery for the 650. I will be getting the Extended battery for the centro also. It's a small investment that will take a lot of stress away from my life.

SD / miniSD: I like how has a cover. I lost a sim card on my 650 since it popped out. In 3 years, I lost it once. In 3 years I had it pop out about once every 4 months. I'm glad they fixed this. I do miss SD card since my camera is also a SD card.

Camera: It's a lot better.

Keyboard: Even though the keys are smaller, i find it easier to text message cause it has the gel like keyboard.

Programs: It's the same no? so who cares. One program that i like is the Voice Memo. Another is pTunes is now included.

Memory: A lot more internal memory.

Buttons: The home dial scroll buttons are a lot easier to work with. On the treo it felt like i was hammering a nail through a drywall and now it feels like jello.

Screen: Smaller, but clearer. If you put it side by side and stare you'll be depressed that the treo has a larger screen. But then again if we compare our wifes to Anelina Jolie everyday we'd think she's prettier. All in all... once you play with the Centro for couple a days, you won't notice it has a smaller screen.

Shell: Exterior shell has this nice smooth clear coat. It feels like a nicely waxed car.

Thickness: It's been hard for me to adjust. Sometimes i'm not sure if i have the phone in my pocket. WIth the 650, when you're walking with it in your pants you know it's there. The centro is just the opposite. When i get out of my car .. i feel like it's not there.

Antenna : Are you kidding me.. i do not miss it.

Reception: I haven't notice it being worse... so it's either the same or better.

Pro: They did a great job and spent time in researching what a people want. The treo 650 was a success in 2005, let the Centro now take over.

Summary: I have no regrets and haven't looked back. Go ahead and do your purchase. The main bummer when your reading about this phone is the smaller screen and keyboard. Everything else is pretty much the same. As a reader it bothered me also knowing that the iphone had a larger screen. After switching, i felt as though the screen was sufficient and that it's well worth it. My co worker also has a treo and looked down on the centro because of the smaller screen. "It's a downgrade." After i purchased it and showed it off in his face, he started to take his words back. Now he's asking me "do you think it's better?" My gf currently still has the Treo 650 (we both had the same phone) and she's about to steal mine.
    Last edited by omgitsroy326; 03/22/2008 at 12:25 PM.
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    one more thing... Iphone...
    i tested it out for like 3 hours. It's annoying. If you're used to the treo .. switching over feels like writing with your left hand. Nice screen.. yes... Cool ZOOM in ZOOM out .. yes... but all in all.... i know i'll miss my treo. So i went with the centro.

KEEP IN MIND: Iphone for unlimited internet and 200 text messaging it's 20 a month.

Unlimited data for treo is 40 for ATT. I just found this out... so you do your economics and figure it out.
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12