1.    #1  
    Hi!

I live in Croatia and I bought from Gizmos2Go unlocked Treo680 refurbished and I thought it would be unlocked from the start. But, when it arrived, I noticed it's AT&T's phone which was unlocked afterwards. This isn't a problem, but now I don't know which firmware to use.

If I use AT&T's, could it relock my Treo? This is a big fear of mine. It would render phone unusable to me, because I'm in Croatia and I couldn't switch to AT&T.

And, would unlocked firmware work on my phone, because it's AT&T's phone?

Phone info is:

Firmware: R01.91
    Software: Treo680-2.11-ATT
    CC-Cap: ATT-NR1-005
    Carrier DB: 510
    Hardware: A

Is there an application for unlocking phone? I know it's not quite kosher, but I bought phone unlocked and I didn't know it's AT&T's originally. Maybe even Palm unlocked it after refurbishing it, to sell it more easily?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
    You already have the latest AT&T firmware/software. I don't think there's anything you need to do! At least all your versions match what I have on my AT&T phone...

2.11 is the latest version of the AT&T firmware as specified on the Palm website.
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert00 View Post
    2.11 is the latest version of the AT&T firmware as specified on the Palm website.
    Yes, I know that it's the latest version, but thing is, as we all know it, there are still many unresolved issues and hopefully they would be solved, sooner or later.

The main thing is, my phone is AT&T's, but unlocked. Which firmware I should use (here I mean future firmware upgrade), AT&T's or unlocked? And, could AT&T's relock my device?

If relocking my device is price for upgrade, I'd stick with this firmware, till I have SW which can unlock my device.

And, just to say, I bought my phone as unlocked, not as locked and then unlocked it myself.

Please, help is needed and your input is greatly appreciated.
    OK. So you're asking more about in the future when there are new updates released, which one should you use?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $unlock$ $procedure$ $on$ $the$ $680$ $is$ $NOT$ $like$ $the$ $unlock$ $procedure$ $on$ $the$ $600$. $So$ $upgrading$ $your$ $FW$ $will$ $not$ $relock$ $your$ $phone$, $regardless$ $of$ $which$ $version$ $of$ $the$ $FW$ $you$ $install$.

A future released AT&T update will be the easiest for you to install - you will just be able to follow the instructions on Palm's website without performing any hacks.

But people here on TC will likely have versions available for all versions of the 680 within a short time of a Palm release for any version of the 680. So if you want to take a more complicated route, you can likely take a version of the FW that Palm released for unbranded phones and install it in your AT&T one. Just like you can now with the releases that are already available. But that process will be slightly more complicated.

The AT&T releases will be the only ones that should install w/o any special steps.
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert00 View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $unlock$ $procedure$ $on$ $the$ $680$ $is$ $NOT$ $like$ $the$ $unlock$ $procedure$ $on$ $the$ $600$. $So$ $upgrading$ $your$ $FW$ $will$ $not$ $relock$ $your$ $phone$, $regardless$ $of$ $which$ $version$ $of$ $the$ $FW$ $you$ $install$.

Thank you very much. Is there anyone who actually upgraded unlocked AT&T phone? Just to be sure, because it's a big worry for me...

And, just to say, at the moment I'm pretty happy with standard firmware, but who knows what time brings.

And, can you say more on unlocking 680, just for my soul's peace?
    I have an unlocked A T & T 680. I have upgraded to the latest firmware from A T & T (RO 1.91) & software 2.11 with no problems.
    Unlocking the 680 has to do with changing a token value on the Treo. It has nothing to do with the firmware or software. Changing firmware/software version will not unlock or lock the phone.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphwg View Post
    I have an unlocked A T & T 680. I have upgraded to the latest firmware from A T & T (RO 1.91) & software 2.11 with no problems.
    Thank you for your info.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Unlocking the 680 has to do with changing a token value on the Treo. It has nothing to do with the firmware or software. Changing firmware/software version will not unlock or lock the phone.
    Thank you for your info. Now I know I can update firmware with no negative effect (except usual new bugs in new revisions ).
    Can anyone list any known disadvantages with going with a (refurbished) unlocked AT&T Treo 680 verses an official Palm Unlocked Treo 680?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    hi quick question..

i got att branded treo 680... can i update its fw using the generic? anybody tried that already?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by loko__loko View Post
    hi quick question..

i got att branded treo 680... can i update its fw using the generic? anybody tried that already?

thanks
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=163202
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_SP View Post
    Hi!

I live in Croatia and I bought from Gizmos2Go unlocked Treo680 refurbished and I thought it would be unlocked from the start. But, when it arrived, I noticed it's AT&T's phone which was unlocked afterwards. This isn't a problem, but now I don't know which firmware to use.

If I use AT&T's, could it relock my Treo? This is a big fear of mine. It would render phone unusable to me, because I'm in Croatia and I couldn't switch to AT&T.

And, would unlocked firmware work on my phone, because it's AT&T's phone?

Phone info is:

Firmware: R01.91
    Software: Treo680-2.11-ATT
    CC-Cap: ATT-NR1-005
    Carrier DB: 510
    Hardware: A

Is there an application for unlocking phone? I know it's not quite kosher, but I bought phone unlocked and I didn't know it's AT&T's originally. Maybe even Palm unlocked it after refurbishing it, to sell it more easily?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
    How does one find the firmware, software, CCCAp Carrier data base as listed above by the fellow from Croatia. I just picked up a new 680 and i'm wondering if i have to do this update. Also the phone says PALM on it.. Does that mean i would used the unlocked version of the update? Is the update absolutely necessary. In reading thru posts it seems like the value of the update kind of varies. Thanks
    the firmware edition and all that ..
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    If everything works ok...dont bother, if you have a problem with something...look at the latest
    Looking for Tampa Real Estate
    Tampa Homes | Tampa Foreclosures | Brandon Real Estate
    i had treo680,the problem i can"t received sms from more than 11 digit of telephone number but sms from under 11 digit phone number it's ok
    anyone help me...