Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Welp, I got my AT&T Centro yesterday. It's my first Palm in 3-4 years.
    Last one being the Treo 650.
    Currently waiting for an unlock code so I can use it with T-Mobile.

    Man I used to be a huge expert on PalmOS, (been using UIQ and Windows Mobile last few years) takes a bit of learning again to get used to PalmOS.

    So far, I like the Centro. Nice form factor, Screen is just fine for its size.
    Keyboard is a bit small, but I'm getting used to it.

    The sides of the battery doors squeak for me, do they for any of you guys?

    Anyways I have a few questions.
    Treoskey 1.7 suppose to be compatible with Centro, but when I install it, it says it won't work with the phone. Anyone got another suggestion?

    Launchers. What's a good Launcher application these days? I used to run LauncherX. That still good?

    I really don't need a Launcher replacement, but the apps in storage card not being able to categorize bugs the heck outta me. Can't believe they haven't fixed that in 3/4 years.
    My other alternative would be to use PowerRun. Any other suggestions for this?

    Thanks for any suggestions you all may have.
  2. #2  
    Try Ultimate Phone... Its a Photo Dialer, web 2.0 launcher, SMS handler, and Launcher all in one... A must have in any Palm smartphone these days.
  3. #3  
    LauncherX is still in the running and is available at http://www.gotreosoftware.com/products/LauncherX/. It was recently updated to support the Centro series.
  4. #4  
    PowerRun as a shortcut creating app is a antique. I would suggest ZLink 1.0.

    ZLink will create a shortcut to anything on your device or card. ZLink works very nice on the Centro.

  5. #5  
    Battery door squeaks are (unfortunately) normal. If you buy a hard case (really recommended since you don't want to break it) the squeaks go away.
  6. #6  
    I am in the same boat as thread starter. I am re learning for palm os after couple of years getting used to WM.Oh well.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
  7. BaDZeD's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    #7  
    Fold a piece of paper and put it under the battery door. That takes care of the squeaks.


    UltimatePhone causes too much of a lag IMHO, I use TreoLauncher (I tried using LX but had a couple of stability problems)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    Fold a piece of paper and put it under the battery door. That takes care of the squeaks.


    UltimatePhone causes too much of a lag IMHO, I use TreoLauncher (I tried using LX but had a couple of stability problems)

    The paper thing, well on the new AT&T GSM Centro, there's a foam thing underneath the battery door already. The squeaking is on both sides of the battery door. I'll try and play around with some paper.

    I tried the trial of Treo Launcher, looks good, but I got LauncherX working again pretty well. So far so good.
  9.    #9  
    Wow, I must say, I'm in love.
    I have a T-Mobile Wing (piece of crap that I no longer use as a phone, only for some PDA stuff). Also have Sony Ericsson m600i for my main phone (I like the clean interface, the keyboard, no camera though).

    And Wow, the Centro I love it.
    I unlocked the AT&T GSM and am using it with T-Mobile service.
    Web browsing is quick and speedy. Pretty much everything works except the Google Maps program.
  10. BaDZeD's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    #10  
    Glad you like it Up until the Centro I have been firmly in the "I like to keep my PDA and my CellPhone separate" camp

    Centro has shown me the error of my ways
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nXt View Post
    Wow, I must say, I'm in love.
    I have a T-Mobile Wing (piece of crap that I no longer use as a phone, only for some PDA stuff). Also have Sony Ericsson m600i for my main phone (I like the clean interface, the keyboard, no camera though).

    And Wow, the Centro I love it.
    I unlocked the AT&T GSM and am using it with T-Mobile service.
    Web browsing is quick and speedy. Pretty much everything works except the Google Maps program.
    really? Wing is that bad? I was using 8525 which is the same with Wing. I didn't have complain except it's lag when you slide the keyboard.

    For google maps, did you try download the mobile version? It should works.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
  12. #12  
    Another recent 650-to-Centro convert here. I used ZLauncher on the 650, but it wouldn't play nice with the Centro's Home key, so I took the opportunity to evaluate LauncherX, which I bought within a day. So nice to be able to arrange stuff as I want it, and hide all the bundled dross on a hidden tab, and I realised that the functionality (and fiddliness) of ZLauncher was more than I really needed.

    All my other applications came across flawlessly, with one notable exception: ScheduleCare. Man, I miss that app - you forget how much it does until it's not doing it any more! I tried the 106 beta of Profiles, which showed some promise until it locked up my device requiring a warm reset. Instability and resets were the main reason I finally upgraded to the Centro, so anything that locks up my new toy gets removed immediately - I'll try it again if another version is released, though I remain hopeful that we might see an update to ProfileCare before then.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Try Ultimate Phone... Its a Photo Dialer, web 2.0 launcher, SMS handler, and Launcher all in one... A must have in any Palm smartphone these days.
    i am trying the Ultimate Phone now, zlauncher and launcher x doesnt work for me
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mutantblack View Post
    really? Wing is that bad? I was using 8525 which is the same with Wing. I didn't have complain except it's lag when you slide the keyboard.

    For google maps, did you try download the mobile version? It should works.
    No no no, the 8525 is NO the same as the Wing.
    The 8525 is much more superior to the Wing. The Wing is a bit of an upgrade from the MDA (the 8125), but there are horrible issues with the memory management. Run a few apps and you'll get "not enough memory" errors.
    Installing custom roms may help a little bit, but i'm just fed up with it.

    Yeah I downloaded the google map app from www.google.com/gmm
    It runs then It just sits there then gives me an error saying it needs data connection. (i'm using T-Mobile with proxy "hack")

Posting Permissions