Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I purchased a 755p from a forum member here and am in the process of moving my applications from my old 700p to this new to me 755p. I have had no problems so far transferring my apps, including Slingbox, Kimona, Ptunes, Volumecare, Lightspeed, and LauncherX to name a few since I kept all my activation codes. Until today...

I did notice that one of my games, Arcade Reality, did not accept my code. I emailed the vendor and their reply was that their game was licensed to my Treo 700p and the license could not be transferred to the 755p. If I wanted the game on my 755p, I would have to purchase a brand new license. They did say as a motion of "good will", they would give me a discount of $3 on the purchase if I included my old transaction number.

I wonder what the opinion here is of this? While I understand some cost is expected if a program won't run on a newer device, that is not the case here. Do you think it's right of the vendor to require the purchase of a brand new program when switching to a new device? I somehow don't feel this is quite right. I still might purchase the program since my nephew and I really like this program, but it still bothers me on the repurchase. I should add that of the 20 or so 3rd party programs I'm running on my 755p, this is the only vendor that requires a new purchase. Thoughts, opinions?

Many thanks.
    Well this is no doubt an issue that will come up more in the future. Developers are going with HS SN ID for registration codes now.

The developers should understand that some people change devices often. Most "good" developers will issue a new reg key when the device is changed with a new HS SN ID.

You might check out ChangeName. This will change the HS SN, maybe that app might work now.

I'm surpised more vendors do not charge a servicing fee for a new device. The only income for vendors would be purchases from new users or the occasional upgrade fee. The problem would be when you have insurance replacement. I would hope it would be covered by the insurance but it would be a major pain to deal with. If its tied to a model number rather than a serial number it might not be as bad.
    I wish devs would only charge upgrade fee when THEY actually upgrade their software NOT when we change our units.

Charge only for a v .5 or more increase.

Honestly I feel that they should only charge fees for upgrades on the left side of the decimal but Id compromise if it was a .5 increase or better. (IOW not just bug fixes)
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    thats ridiculous~!

I can understand charging for new versions of programs, but just because you changed phones? I mean, what if you LOST your phone and had to get a replacement?
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    If the program is compatible with the new device. . . . my expectation is that the developer should provide a new reg code free.

If the new device requires a new version of the software. . .then I would expect to have to upgrade at a prior user discount to the new version.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Same version, but they license per device, i.e. one license per device. I agree with you Perry, since it's not an upgrade but just a device change and the version has not changed, the new code should be provided free.

The way vendors like Kimona and Sling do things is extremely elegant when it comes to switching devices. You launch the program on your new device, it senses you're using a new device and confirms you want to switch. You confirm and your program is now running on your new device while being disabled on your old device. Clickgamer, the vendor I'm questioning here, needs to get with things, rather than doing a money grab, as I'm seeing here. Just my .02 cents...
    Hi all,

I have debated this long ago, and have come to use these terms with my users - as long as the user uses the same HotSync name, the reg. code will continue working regardless of the device he/she is using.

If a user asks for a new reg. code based on changing HotSync name - I acknoledge the fact users do sometimes change devices, or even change HotSync names cause of hard resets, etc.

On the other hand - how do I know the user isnt just trying to get a free license for his friend ?
    So I set a limit: every user can get a free new license up to three times per year, provided he/she agrees I will void the older licenses (HotSync names) for future upgrades.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE View Post
    Hi all,

I have debated this long ago, and have come to use these terms with my users - as long as the user uses the same HotSync name, the reg. code will continue working regardless of the device he/she is using.

If a user asks for a new reg. code based on changing HotSync name - I acknoledge the fact users do sometimes change devices, or even change HotSync names cause of hard resets, etc.

On the other hand - how do I know the user isnt just trying to get a free license for his friend ?
    So I set a limit: every user can get a free new license up to three times per year, provided he/she agrees I will void the older licenses (HotSync names) for future upgrades.
    That's very generous of you! And fair I think.

I recently "upgraded" from a TX to the Treo 755p. I hard reset my TX and gave my new device the same Hotsync ID and all of my reg codes worked on the Treo. I only had one incident where I needed to request a new code and that was with MunduIM. The version I had wasn't compatible with my Treo. They were very kind, understood my situation and sent me a new, compatible version.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    My Treo 680 has a Hotsync name of T600 <g>. My Treo 270 had a totally different name, and when I got my 600 I wanted to "test" some things before I switched everything over, and ended up just keeping it T600. I had two 600s, a 650, and now a 680 all with the hotsync name of T600. It will probably remain T600 as long as vendors link the hotsync name to the license code. Doesn't bother me at all, and I just keep the old name.

FWIW, my T680 had never been Hotsynched at all until recently when I added a program that I just could not figure out how to install any other way! I got ChangeName to set the HS name, and since I was on Linux it was just easier for me to do all of my installations OTA or from an SD card. I backup to a separate SD card too.

So, I guess I really don't mind the HS ID link for programs. It's not really a hardship for me to keep the same HS ID forever!

Danita
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Great points Shimon. In my case, same hotsync id, no changes. What you said makes total sense. I guess I don't understand Clickgamer's stance on this. Makes it hard to support one's product with the sort of stuff they're doing to me in this case.
    I could even understand a nominal fee for the developer's time to send another HotSync ID (say no more than $5), but to have to purchase a new activation code is ridiculous. I recently ready a forum thread over at MTDN regarding a woman's bad experience buying from Pocketgear. Although Pocketgear is not a developer (Hallelujah), several people jumped on the bandwagon and are boycotting PG. I don't think some developers realize the potential damage to their their reputation when they do such things or the power of these forums. Now please understand, I do beleive that developers should be fairly compensated for their programs, but there has to be some middle ground.
    One of the vendors could charge to change devices, but I'd never pay it. There is no software that I can't do without or replace with another app....JMO
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Shimon's position on this topic is great. It's a nice compromise between supporting users and not giving away the farm.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    When I got my Centro most of my programs were transferred for free. EasyNotes, Ebooks, Audible, etc. However, I will refrain from doing business with the Dynamic Mileage people and their current policy. I won't pay again for the same program version. Also, this touches on something deeper for me. From what I see on their front page they are a Christian based company. As a Christian this policy irks me.

All companies exist to make a profit. How they go about it, well, is their business. The branding of this company continues my poor experience of faith-branded companies in which the customer experience can be less than desirable. Yes, they should make money, but on the faith claim alone expectations are raised. In my opinion, this advertises giving more than expected, turning the other cheek, and providing excellent service.

While this company is the example, it's not fair to single them out. All faith-based companies must know they are held to a higher standard. By its very nature this identity advertises a certain customer experience. And, for Christ's sake, it better offer mercy and grace beyond the norm. Otherwise, are these places using the "Christian Brand" to make an extra buck? I don't know enough to make a solid judgment, but what is the intention of placing a fish symbol on a business?

The opposing view says other software companies do the same thing. And that is the point. If you use the brand at least match the best of what secular-owned companies offer. In contrast, I must give points to the faith-branded Olive Tree Software. They have given me free transfers and upgrades across many devices. I also thank all the other companies who offer at least free transfers. It's fair to pay for major upgrades-after all it is a new product for which I didn't pay.

All software companies that charge again on each device should be ashamed.

Please go easy on me for my opinion. I attempted to be thoughtful and balanced. In discussing religion I surely failed.
    Everything under the sun has been done in the name of Christianity.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Theoretically, the market should take care of this question, by making people willing to pay less for licenses that can't be transfered to another device. However, my feeling is that very few people check license conditions when they buy. But that's their own choice...

For the record, all my shareware software has licenses that are fully transferable. You can move the software to a new device (as long as you delete the registration on the old device), you can re-sell it (as long as you delete your own copy), and you can include it on your device when you sell your device (as long as you don't also keep a copy for a new device). In other words, as the old Borland licenses say, you can use my software just like a book.