1.    #1  
    OK,

Here goes - 1st post here.

I used to have google maps (the application) working fine on my treo 680.

After running the Treo680_1_12_ROW_desktopupdater
    from the palm website

Lots of things stopped working.... but re-installing them did the trick.
    (Luckily I still had the IBM JAVA Websphere file saved before it was pulled from the Palm Website)

The only thing I cannot get to work is the
    Google maps Application as from
    http://www.google.com/gmm/treo

It installs fine > I accept the legal page > it connect to the net > them bam.. this error message appears

The exact error message is
    AppNetLib.c:2226 No Content-Length header found

I've also tried the google java map (midlet?) all blue icon. This also fails.
    Again - appears to install OK > legal page > asks if it can connect > then it just locks up the phone. No error - it just freezes showing a 'search' and 'menu' button.

So - my question is.... Has anyone got these two apps to work sucessfully on a Palm Treo 680 after the udpate... Or am I wasting my time trying to get them to work?

Cheers
    MT
    Download Google Maps on your PC if necessary and sync it over. I'm not sure what Java stuff you're doing with Google Maps, unless it's the ancient KMaps thing that people used before GMM was available.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for the reply.

Does that mean you have the
    Treo680_1_12_ROW_desktopupdater
    and you can quite happily run the google maps app on your treo680?

>Download Google Maps on your PC if necessary and sync it over

I've tried that route.
    a) downloading the google maps file and then syncing using palm desktop

I've also tried
    b) downloading directly to the treo680 (using blazer) and saving the file to either my sd card, or the internal memory.

Neither works for me... always the:
    error

>I'm not sure what Java stuff you're doing with Google Maps, unless it's the ancient KMaps thing that people used before GMM was available.

It's not kmaps (which I've seen mentioned on really old forum posts).
    I believe it's a general purpose google map application that will run on any JAVA phone.

Cheers
    MT
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Wish I could help, but Google Maps still works fine on my 680 after the update.

Danita
  5.    #5  
    If I do a hard - reset, am I right in thinking that the treo 680 will reset itself so that it's just like a new phone (but with the 12ROW update).

A hard reset will delete any old files that may be left lying around from old installations (including all my own data) ?

If I then create a NEW 'user' in the palm desktop software - then sync it... it should still be like a new phone.

If I then just install the google maps file - it may just work?

Can I ask what steps you took to install your IBM Java?
    And what preferences/settings you have for googlemaps within the ibm java preferences?

Thanks Again
    MT
    Just FYI: After the "upgrade" I have several problems with Bluetooth. However, Google Maps 1.2.0.9 works fine for the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by mintytoe View Post
    It's not kmaps (which I've seen mentioned on really old forum posts).
    I believe it's a general purpose google map application that will run on any JAVA phone.

Cheers
    MT
    NO NO NO!

http://maps.google.com/gmm/GoogleMaps.prc
  8.    #8  
    As this issue is driving me mad ... I'm determined to get to the bottom of it.

Today
    1)
    Hard Reset
    phone info reads:

firmware r01.92
    software Treo680-2.12-ROW
    Hardware: A

2)
    uninstalled the palm desktop by access software (6.2.2)
    and manually removed any folders on my pc that reference palm (or the name of my user for the palm device).

3)
    reboot
    4)
    reinstalled the new palm desktop (6.2.2) to a 'custom folder'
    - this installed the hotsync software (7.0.2) (again i chose a custom folder)

hotsync software produces error
    FileCreation
    Error in creating error file

5)
    hot sync using the button on the usb cable

12 of 12 done OK

after the hotsync i get the same error as above
    FileCreation
    Error in creating error file - but I have to click ok about 12 times before it goes away.

6)
    1 error in the hotsync log (which I believe quite a few people get)

Failed to backup 1 file(s)
    PmTraceDatabase
    Protocol Error: Handheld file could not be opened. (4004)
    SYNCERR_FILE_NOT_OPEN

7)
    using the 'install' part of palm desktop I add the file
    GoogleMaps.prc

8)
    hotsync

9)
    google maps installs ok on the phone - and starts up - and produces the same

==================
    So I'm going to retry, but without using 'custom' folder names for the palm desktop install.

I don't hold out much hope for this.... I'm beginning to think it's somekind of issue with the network/phone carrier data thing.

I'm using the UK 3 company. www.three.co.uk

Blazer works fine.

Cheers
    MT
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    After your hard reset and reinstall did you go into your PC root directory and re-name your palm backup folder? If not you will be re-syncing the corrupt data you are trying to get rid of. Do another hard reset and re-name your palm backup folder before you sync again.
    PalmIII>PalmIIIxe>Palm TungstenT>Treo650>Treo680
  10.    #10  
    Jackskid,

Thank you for the reply.

>After your hard reset and reinstall did you go into your PC root directory and re-name your palm backup folder?

>2) uninstalled the palm desktop by access software (6.2.2)
    and manually removed any folders on my pc that reference palm (or the name of my user for the palm device).

Yes - as part of point (2) - I removed all traces of palm software and user files on my PC. (after backing them up to a removable drive first.)

I'm leaning more to the uk 'three' operator - maybe has a block on google maps access.

The google app does work, in that if you are quick, you can access the google map menu system (e.g. start place, satellite,roads - reset google maps) - before the error appears.

Cheers
    MT
    Okay, sorry, I misunderstood you then. I suspect you have to use a proxy or such to access the internet through the phone, not sure that GMM will use a proxy.
  12.    #12  
    khaytsus,

A yes - a proxy - that give's me another avenue to try.

Yesterday I was messing about with the 'network' settings in 'prefs'.

Trying alsorts of APN settings and dns settings - trying to make it work.

I'm now convinced it's somekind of network issue with the Hutchison (3) communications company.

What's weird is google maps definately used to work before the 2.12 UK (or 1.12 US) update.

But the battery life is definately worth keeping with the updated firmware.

Another other suggestions most welcome.

Thanks
    MT
  13.    #13  
    Update:

I was about to give up on this - When I remembered I can get internet access on the treo 680 via bluetooth via my PC - using something called M-Router

see here
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...th-windows-xp/

When connected to the internet this way.... google maps works perfect. just like it used to before the 1.12 (or 2.12 UK) ROW udpate.

So what does that prove?

It proves that google maps does work on that phone after the update.
    But not via the GPRS connection with the UK 3 Company.

So that's were I'm currently at.....
  14.    #14  
    Following on from the bluetooth (BT) discovery above.... I found this nugget of info....

from
    http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/archive/...59398-p-2.html
    ===
    ~ Your network provider needs to provide a GPRS connection through your mobile phone, unfortunately, since three mainly offer 3g access and a different type of GPRS based on the UMTS network this has caused problems for many customers trying to connect with there TomTom.

If you are unable to connect automatically or via a manual connection via www.tomtom.com/3326 it means that your network has not correctly enabled the settings on your phone. In this case we advise our customers to contact 'three' and ask them to enable 'full GPRS’ on your phone. If they send you the correct settings you should be able to access our services.

However as mentioned previously, due to the difference in the 3 network, the connection for most of our customers does not work at all, or performs unreliably.

The reason for the intermittent results depends on many factors, the settings that can be sent to your phone, the settings three send to your phone and the rom version of each phone, many other network issues could affect the usage.

Due to the vast difference of every handset and network we advise customers to check with there network before purchasing our plus services.

If three are unable you to get these settings on your phone you can set up a manual connection to bypass them using www.tomtom.com/3326 ,it still doesn’t work then it is down to the network in particular, in whic case we recommend using a different network, i.e. t-mobile, orange or vodafone, however please check with your network before buying.

===

So I'm going to borrow a few peoples sim cards to see if they work (on another network) other than 3.

MT
  15.    #15  
    An update for anyone who finds this post via google or this forums search function.

Inserted a t-mobile sim card. added credit. added web'n'walk

Google maps (the application for the treo) works just fine.

Therefore I conclude that 3 mobile (three uk hutchinson) is not compatible with the google maps application after the 12 row update.

Tks
    MT
    Quote Originally Posted by mintytoe View Post
    An update for anyone who finds this post via google or this forums search function.

Inserted a t-mobile sim card. added credit. added web'n'walk

Google maps (the application for the treo) works just fine.

Therefore I conclude that 3 mobile (three uk hutchinson) is not compatible with the google maps application after the 12 row update.

Tks
    MT
    How did you get the maps to work? Do you use GPRS or a GPS device?
    I'm on Tmobile Tzones and I can't get the maps to load up, gives me an error that I need data service.
    iPhone 8GB on T-Mo
  17.    #17  

Approximately 1 month ago (about end of July 2008) Google maps (the application for the treo) started working with 3 mobile (three uk hutchinson)

Nothing was changed on the phone - nothing updated.

Therefore I conclude that 3 mobile (three uk hutchinson) is now compatible with the google maps application after the 12 row update.

I believe that 3 mobile (uk hutchinson) *changed* something on how their data access works.

>How did you get the maps to work?
    It just works.

>Do you use GPRS or a GPS device?
    It's a GPRS data service - there is no Global Positioning System involved.

>I'm on Tmobile Tzones and I can't get the maps to load up, gives me an error that I need data service.

Google Maps is 'data intensive' so your do need 'a data service' to access the 'data'.

Tks
    MT