View Poll Results: Do you recommend the 755p firmware update?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It's worth it!

38 74.51%
  • NO! It wasn't worth the trouble!

8 15.69%
  • Other. (Explain.)

5 9.80%
  1.    #1  
    To those who've updated your 755p's: Do you recommend the 755p firmware update?

I had a 650 when 700 owners were having problems with firmware updates. Once I got a 755p and the firmware update was released almost a month, ago, I decided to wait to make sure it was worth the trouble.

After having seen the difficulties so many encountered, I'm still reluctant, but I noticed some have been pleased with the update - also the Treocast more or less said that it was a good idea.

So, I wanted to ask those of you who have updated your 755p's, if you feel like it was worthwhile.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    The update has had few problems. On the other hand it doesn't seem to make any significant improvements. So, in my opinion its a toss up. If you want to take the time to update do it, if not, you're not missing much.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    The Sprint radio update thing doesn't seem to totally crash the 755 anymore; it still is disconnected from the network until I soft reset, but at least it doesn't just sit there burning battery. And no beeps when I go into and out of range with the sound slider off.

Other than that I think it's a wash, at least as far as I've been concerned.
    Dont know what exactly it does, but at least it is something to do.
    So what did I do?????
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    The update has had few problems. On the other hand it doesn't seem to make any significant improvements. So, in my opinion its a toss up. If you want to take the time to update do it, if not, you're not missing much.
    Thanks. I think I'll pass.
    I definitely recommend the update--my Treo seems snappier than before, and it's nice to have the arrows on the text chats. That alone is worth it. I have had ZERO issues.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    I definitely recommend the update--my Treo seems snappier than before, and it's nice to have the arrows on the text chats. That alone is worth it. I have had ZERO issues.
    I never had any problems telling which chat lines were mine. I'm surprised that's a popular "fix."
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    i'm not a big fan of fixing something that is not broken...

then again, out of curiosity, i went to palms website and downloaded the pc version. they've got a little link on the agree and download page that says "click here to return to instructions" - if you click that link you will get a palm site, palm owned, palm driven - error page...

that pretty much convinced me i don't need it.
    after doing a fresh install instead of restoring from a backup, I am seeing a world of difference.
    As far as I can tell the ROM update didn't break anything, and they had to have released it to at least fix/change something, so it's a positive imo.
    I think they went and made sure to fix a few errors in the original 755p code (clean it after they made the deadline to get it to market) and include some of the centro improvements so us 755p users don't feel so boned. it feels much quicker switching apps and a few things feel less quirky. a worthwhile upgrade even if it isn't earthshattering
  12.    #12  
    Too many people had too many problems with the update for me to try this without a significant discernible benefit.
    I did the update and everything is fine. good luck.

Treo 755p.
    I had not a single problem with the update. I still have some Saved Pref issues that existed before and after the update.
    The white screen that lags open the browser had become short, though it didn't disapper or shorten immediately. It is now just 2-3 seconds (on average) versus 20-30 seconds prior.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    after doing a fresh install instead of restoring from a backup, I am seeing a world of difference.
    syphex,

Do you think your performance increase is because of the rom update or because of your fresh install?

I'm sure it could be both - but maybe the fresh install made the most difference more than the rom update?

I'm still on the fence, because I'll have to update SAG which in itself seems quirky at times.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    well I've done fresh installs before with all the same software and didn't notice that big of a change.. but since doing a fresh install after the rom update Im just noticing a big change in everything from app switching to versamail.