Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I was thinking of getting a Clie TH55. I currently have a Treo 755p on Alltel, and I want a bigger screen for web browsing. I want to use my Treo's EVDO connection, pair it with the TH55 through Bluetooth, and use the Treo's EVDO to browse the internet on the TH55. Is this possible? I know there's a way to use regular phones to connect to the internet, so it may just be a matter of settings for username/password for Alltel. If so, can anybody tell me the settings for Alltel internet? If not, how can I do this?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upsguy27 View Post
    I was thinking of getting a Clie TH55. I currently have a Treo 755p on Alltel, and I want a bigger screen for web browsing. I want to use my Treo's EVDO connection, pair it with the TH55 through Bluetooth, and use the Treo's EVDO to browse the internet on the TH55. Is this possible? I know there's a way to use regular phones to connect to the internet, so it may just be a matter of settings for username/password for Alltel. If so, can anybody tell me the settings for Alltel internet? If not, how can I do this?
    Philosophically, this is what USBModem (or the tether hack, I suppose) does. Likely if you just try to use Alltel straight up you will have to pay for a tethering plan, and then you can do it natively.

I can't say for sure that the Clie will support it, but if it does (i.e. you can connect through Bluetooth and your PC now) then USBModem should work regardless of tethering plan status. As I recall you don't need a username/password for USBModem but the instructions for the Clie should be the same as for any PC/Mac.

I don't think PDANet would work at all.

Good luck,
    -TC
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    Philosophically, this is what USBModem (or the tether hack, I suppose) does. Likely if you just try to use Alltel straight up you will have to pay for a tethering plan, and then you can do it natively.

I can't say for sure that the Clie will support it, but if it does (i.e. you can connect through Bluetooth and your PC now) then USBModem should work regardless of tethering plan status. As I recall you don't need a username/password for USBModem but the instructions for the Clie should be the same as for any PC/Mac.

I don't think PDANet would work at all.

Good luck,
    -TC
    Thanks, i'll look into USBModem.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I don't get it. I thought USBModem was for connecting a Treo to a PC. How can I use it on my Clie?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upsguy27 View Post
    I don't get it. I thought USBModem was for connecting a Treo to a PC. How can I use it on my Clie?
    It's just enabling one of the bluetooth profiles (assuming you select "Bluetooth" :) - I think "Dial Up Networking" but maybe "Network Access" (I don't have my dongle in to check, sorry). Then you just need the Clie to connect to that, it's a standard access method so hopefully it would work straightaway.

Basically you'd need to follow the instructions for a Mac, since they don't have the Windows driver issues. Really you're using usbmodem to enable the bluetooth network profile for the Treo, and then the Clie is connecting to that standard profile.

More info on Macs using the bt hack, if you're interested:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=156644

Good luck,
    -Tim
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Hmm... selecting bluetooth from the pulldown menu and then hitting enable makes my palm reset... then again i have an older version... ill try an update one
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    okay, i got modem mode enabled, what do i go to on the other palm to connect through bluetooth?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    got it paired with palm as LAN, still asks for username and password...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    what do i do now tdcrone?
    I can use my Nokia n810 with my 755p as a modem via BT. It wasn't any effort, I paired it with BT and it was done (I didn't need to know any settings)...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    I can use my Nokia n810 with my 755p as a modem via BT. It wasn't any effort, I paired it with BT and it was done (I didn't need to know any settings)...

Gary
    when i pair my treo with the other palm, it says connection sucessful, then would you like to use the phone to connect to the internet, i select yes, it says select your carrier: AT&T, Cingular, or Tmobile. I'm Alltel, so i just choose at&t, hit next, and then it says sucess. i hit connect, and is says signing on. then it stays there for a while. The "signing on" message goes away, and then I assume it is connected. I go to web, and it puts the palm in an endless reset. what?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    So what should I do? I still don't have this resolved.