Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I don't post much on this forum, but wanted to share this information

Spoke to a Corporate Verizon Store Manager today regarding the Palm Centro. He told me that Verizon was focusing more on a competitor phone, the HTC. I think HTC has offered better deals and margins for Verizon. Said Centro was not a good fit. However, he did say that Verizon was very interested in the Treo 800W. Said it was similar in width to the Centro and a slick phone.

As a result, I've ordered the ATT Centro.

Regards.
    I don't understand how people can, in the same conversation, say the Centro is not a good fit, but OOH...we really like the 800W and keep your eyes peeled for that.

The Centro is a PALM operating system. The 800W is a WINDOWS MOBILE operating system.

I'm not yelling at the OP...I'm just so irritated that what little information seems to come out tends to end up this way. How can you direct someone asking about a PALM operating system to keep an eye out for a WINDOWS MOBILE operating system instead because it looks to be as thin as the Palm operating system you originally asked about.

That would be like me going to the store to buy a computer with Windows XP (or Vista), and the salesperson saying they don't have those right now, but hey...take a look at the Mac...it's about the same size.

Sheesh.

ETA: jam200...thank you for the information. I really hope it turns out to be untrue because I was holding out hope that Verizon would get the Centro. As you could probably tell from my post.

Glad you found the Centro with a carrier you can be happy with. It's a GREAT device.
    This article did mention about Verizon. I believe the information in this article is more accurate.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...e4fa2a22ea.htm
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Verizon not carrying the Centro will result in my moving five lines from Verizon to ATT over the next 6 months. That's a pain. I love the Palm products.

The manager alluded to Palm having financial difficulties and margins as a reason why Verizon would not stock the Centro. I was surprised the manager was so open with me about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jam200 View Post
    Verizon not carrying the Centro will result in my moving five lines from Verizon to ATT over the next 6 months. That's a pain. I love the Palm products.

The manager alluded to Palm having financial difficulties and margins as a reason why Verizon would not stock the Centro. I was surprised the manager was so open with me about this.
    I don't believe a store manager knew so many about Palm. Also not much employees will know about the profit margin of the products.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    This is a corporate Verizon store. They just met with the Palm salesman for this area. Take it for what its worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by jam200 View Post

That makes no sense at all...if they were truly concerned about Palm's financial status and that was why they were not carrying the Centro...then why would they carry the 755P or 800W? Total BS.

I too will likely be changing carriers soon if Verizon has no interest in carrying the Centro! We would be three phones switching.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I've always thought that the 755p would be Verizon's final POS product. Heck, I even figured for a while that the 755p would be cancelled at the 11th hour and "failed testing" would be the official reason (with the 700p ROM debacle being the real culprit).

VZW has standardized on a mostly WinMob smartphone line with a few BB units taking up the rest of the lineup. Verizon obviously as no patience for Garnet's various issues. The 755p was probably signed off on & purchased far in advance, so it was probably too far down the pipeline to cancel. But the Centro, despite Sprint's success, is a lower-margin device for everyone involved. I can definitey see Verizon passing on it but championing the 800w. All the Centro would do is cannibalize 755p sales IMO.

Remember, folks, Verizon was one of the main forces that got Palm on the WinMob bandwagon (the 700w was a product exclusive to Verizon). With the 700wx having a horribly outdated formfactor, it's a natural Verizon would want to push the 800w at the expense of the Centro etc. Besides, the 800w and its fairly highend specs would fill an unoccupied niche (320x320 WinMob Professional) in Verizon's current smartphone lineup.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Posted in rumor section if anyone knew about vzw getting centro. My 32 month old 650 is getting long in the tooth, and heavy in the pocket. Soon people will tell me it looks like the old 'brick' phones;-).

Does anyone know when exclusive w sprint ends? Also, the money article says investment bankers are upgrading to 'buy' rating based on centro success. Why wouldn't vzw want to be part of this and sell more phone? I know they have the semi smart phones like the voyager aimed at the non business community, but from what i understand, the centro, priced at $99 is taking some of those sales with sprint.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    That's why ATT is now selling the Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    Also, the money article says investment bankers are upgrading to 'buy' rating based on centro success. Why wouldn't vzw want to be part of this and sell more phone? I know they have the semi smart phones like the voyager aimed at the non business community, but from what i understand, the centro, priced at $99 is taking some of those sales with sprint.
    It did mention in the 5th paragraph:

"Among the company's new products, Coster said, will be a version of the Centro with phone service from AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. An exclusive deal with Sprint Nextel Corp. will expire soon, he wrote."

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...e4fa2a22ea.htm
    I question how much that analyst really knows/understands. The article was from February 4th and references an exclusivety date "to end soon". Uh...it ended January 14th.

Although they were correct about the AT&T (GSM) version...but heck...everyone knew about that.
    Treonauts has a very promising article on the various colors being offered. Don't forget to read the pointed questions at the end of the story.

This is the most positive rumor I've read yet...

http://blog.treonauts.com/2008/02/more-centro-col.html
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    the treonauts story is compelling news...

if the Centro is the killer seller for both Sprint and ATT that it seems to be claimed, Verizon should jump at the chance it seems as people want it, they will sell it AND more data packages, possibly additional items for it... so, it seems logical they WOULD want it given the price, the draw, the 755p debacle and it fits in to take out the ooollllddd 650 we all want to put to rest.
    I'm now back to..."is it really even possible". As this site pointed out, those pictures with all those pretty colors are all GSM phones. You can tell from the bottom of the screen.

So while I'm still going to hold out hope...you can't ignore that they have the display of a GSM phone.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I'm now back to..."is it really even possible". As this site pointed out, those pictures with all those pretty colors are all GSM phones. You can tell from the bottom of the screen.

So while I'm still going to hold out hope...you can't ignore that they have the display of a GSM phone.
    what are you seeing on the bottom of that screen that tells you that? hell, it all looks like gibberish at that low resolution size.
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard
    what are you seeing on the bottom of that screen that tells you that? hell, it all looks like gibberish at that low resolution size.
    The launcher buttons at the very bottom of the screen. That grey line of icons at the very bottom belongs to a GSM phone.
    must be nice to do what you want to do and not need to please your customers. I had already switched to ATT and the 750, but could not deal with my upset customers for poor coverage and constant dropped calls
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    looks like things might have changed since this first post. Read this thread - mostly page 2 if you have not already as it look VERY much like the Centro is on it's way to VZW.