1.    #1  
    I seen the review of the ATT centro phone app it looks cool is there a way to get that program or something similar to Sprint centro?
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Takephone by shsh.com. It looks similar & customizable.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    According to a Palm rep, the new phone app is hard-coded to the GSM chipset used in the 680 & Centro. It would be too difficult (read: expensive) to port it to the CDMA Treos & Centros.

My guess is that Palm realized quite some time ago that the CDMA Treos were going to benefit from EVDO, so they worked up the new phone app for the GSM versions to give them SOME kind of feature to tout over their CDMA counterparts.

I still think that at least with the CDMA Centro, Palm should've pulled out all of the stops and put the new phone app on there. With a such a tiny screen, those larger onscreen buttons would've come in very handy. Meanwhile, new smartphone users would seem certain to prefer the friendlier design of the GSM phone app over the antiquated CDMA one. Oh well, that's Palm for ya.

I have not used Takephone personally but from all counts it does look to do what you want it do...but with a bit more clutter and a cost of $20.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    According to a Palm rep, the new phone app is hard-coded to the GSM chipset used in the 680 & Centro. It would be too difficult (read: expensive) to port it to the CDMA Treos & Centros.

My guess is that Palm realized quite some time ago that the CDMA Treos were going to benefit from EVDO, so they worked up the new phone app for the GSM versions to give them SOME kind of feature to tout over their CDMA counterparts.

I still think that at least with the CDMA Centro, Palm should've pulled out all of the stops and put the new phone app on there. With a such a tiny screen, those larger onscreen buttons would've come in very handy. Meanwhile, new smartphone users would seem certain to prefer the friendlier design of the GSM phone app over the antiquated CDMA one. Oh well, that's Palm for ya.

I have not used Takephone personally but from all counts it does look to do what you want it do...but with a bit more clutter and a cost of $20.
    Intresting , I will have to take a look at takephone.
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I got Takephone about 4 or 5 years ago when I bought a 7135. The Treo phone app was nicer than the Kyocera's, but it only took me a couple of weeks before I went back to Takephone. It's well worth the try-out.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I have TakePhone as well and love it. Well worth the $20 price tag. also the developer is very nice and eager to help.
    Few questions about TakePhone since Im lazy and dont feel like reading

I installed the trial. I dig it.

Questions:

Do the assigned picture icons interefere with any features of a ringtone manager, like LightWav? Since in LightWav you assign picture ID...

How do you assign TakePhone as your default phone app?

What is "Telephony"?

Any cool things I can customize that Im probably over looking because Im not reading the instructions?

TIA

edit-
    and what version is everyone using on their Centros?

Appreciate the help.
    Last edited by cathartic8881; 02/29/2008 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Pre gal now
    Takephone

In prefs go to the treo tab

a little lower than midpage select

return after all calls

also in the phone tab in the prefs select phone buttons launch takephone
    I think the real reason the phone app never made it to CDMA phones (and probably never will) is that Palm has pretty much abandoned Palm OS, so they don't want to invest in a new phone app based on that OS. They are too busy working on the next generation and only give minimal attention to older Palm OS based phones.

The GSM phone app is a completely re-written ARM-based app, where the old phone app runs in the 68K emulation environment. It is tied closely to the GSM hardware, and it is not a trivial rewrite for CDMA. I believe them on that. What you won't get them to say is that they aren't going to invest much time on Palm OS.

You will see a shiny new phone app when the next generation (Linux-based) phone ships.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    I like the phone app in CDMA Centro better. The favorites tabs are organized in a more efficient way than the GSM counterpart. In CDMA phone app, there are 5 pages of double row favorites, whereas in GSM phone app, there is a lot of up and down scroll to find a particular favorite.
    Without the bar at the bottom, CDMA phone app also shows more information in contact search.

There are two features missing in the CDMA phone app though. It won't automatically detect whether you are dialing a number or search a contact like the GSM phone app or older version of the same phone app in 650, and there is no way to add an unknown number to an existing contact either.
    I like the phone app in CDMA Centro better. The favorites tabs are organized in a more efficient way than the GSM counterpart. In CDMA phone app, there are 5 pages of double row favorites, whereas in GSM phone app, there is a lot of up and down scroll to find a particular favorite.
    Ditto, I hate the att centro phone app. To each his own I guess.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Takephone Rocks. The support is even better. Simon is the best apps developer out there. www.shsh.com