1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

Reading morning paper at NY Times.com, decided to click on the Centro advertising. Takes one to the following website:

www.palmcentro.com

Maybe I just haven't seen any other similar websites, but I've gotta say that the interactivity, the animation, the graphics -- all outstanding. And reaches out to the target audience of the first time smartphone shopper, shows them all the cool things that the Centro can do out of the box with built in functionality. Makes me want to get one. Everyone can moan about all that Palm has done wrong, but here's a little thing they've done very very right. Excellent site! Check the website out if you're interested.
    -- Josh
    It is a nice site. Impressed on my end.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I just checked it out and it is pretty sweet! Great graphics! I clicked on "Buy" which takes you to Palm's site and I'm glad to see an option to buy the Centro without a wireless plan, but I'm still going to wait for the Black one to come out.
    Nice...
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    lmao...did you guys actually read the little typing on the centro (when on the people maps)?

The last one is the best.

Under "Touch"

On the people map, go to the top. "Lost the game. IM Josh. Expletives mustn't be abbreviated!"

The last line is "Thanks for showing up you as..."

Then the camera pans down to the keyboard and we watch the word "shole" get typed in...

Man, they got real snarky with these. Well done Palm, well done.

Biscoti me!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lmao...did you guys actually read the little typing on the centro (when on the people maps)?

Under "Touch"

On the people map, go to the top. "Lost the game. IM Josh. Expletives mustn't be abbreviated!"

The last line is "Thanks for showing up you a**..."

Then the camera pans down to the keyboard and we watch the word "hole" get typed in...

Wow! That is out there, for PALM. I can see their new ad campaign now: "The new Centro: The Most Fun You've Had With Your Palm Since..."

Well, maybe not, after all!
    tim
    LOL! I missed that Malatesta! Gonna have to go take another quick look.
    Yea, go to the one under Touch that shows the Tow Away Zone. It calls the towing company with the Sprint screen, but the phone's AT&Ts. Very clever ads. They have two mini billboards at the mall like those.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    This is available in a simplified version for mobile devices at m.palmcentro.com.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Then the camera pans down to the keyboard and we watch the word "shole" get typed in...
    I just checked, and now the keyboard types "whol awhhl".
    It's interesting that you mention that, Gawker wrote an article about an onscreen quote that you can see on this very site ("Jen, it's 80's night. You won't even have to change!") back in December, when you hit the "Play" button:

Palm Centro Is The Phone Of Choice For Passive Aggressive Friends
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by sethpcs View Post
    I just checked, and now the keyboard types "whol awhhl".
    Ah, my bad...

Wow, it's even more witty than i thought.

It's a play off of the soccer "Goal" screamed by announcers: "Gooooaaalll!"

So they're do "...you a**whol awhhl!", 'cuz you know, they're were playing soccer.

g-funkster: nice find....can't wait to see those billboards.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Bawdy locker room innuendo and smoke'n mirrors advertising won't cure the fact that this is an undersized, underspec'd, and altogether underwhelming device. The Centro is a decent enough effort at 2005-era technology at featurephone prices but who is going tor remember all of this fluff next year...or even next quarter? instead of throwing $ at flashy websites and advertising, Palm should keep the entire company's focus on new devices, new formfactors, quality control, and finishing/polishing Nova (not necessarily in that order). EVERYONE I know has a BlackBerry and they do very little advertising and what RIM does do is lower-key than Palm's.

This thread--about perceived hoopla--exemplifies the ENTIRE problem with Palm. Somewhere around 1999 or so, Palm ceased to be an engineering and innovation-focused company and instead became one ruled by beancounters , marketers and masters of PRPRPR &$amp$; $spin$. $That$ $corporate$ $mentality$ $has$ $continued$ $to$ $this$ $day$.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Bawdy locker room innuendo and smoke'n mirrors advertising won't cure the fact that this is an undersized, underspec'd, and altogether underwhelming device.
    This is all opinion--I have had 9 friends buy it and all love it, tell it them. (And please explain "smoke'n mirrors advertising"--how are they doing this?)

Fact is, 75% of Centro owners are completely new to the smartphone market--those are numbers & people that HTC, Moto, RIM, Samsung and others would not mind having (and something those other companies have so failed to accomplish).

Considering how little OS development went into the Centro and the numbers they are selling at, Palm stands to
    1. Intro a whole new audience to not only smartphones, but familiarty with their name
    2. Stay relevant through 2008
    3. Bring in revenue

For a stockholder, those are all good things. The fact that an aging OS is able to breath some life and help break into a new market is also a good thing.

Re: the rest of your post, if you feel so strongly than either invest or divest in Palm to make your advice known. The Centro and Foleo teams have all been re-assigned to the new OS, so I'm not sure how much "focus" they can do.

They have an unexpected hit on their hands--should they not promote it? That's your advice?

What's with the sour grapes in a small thread that is actually giving some praise to Palm for once? Lots of people here at TC have criticized for Palm for either not advertising their devices or doing a poor job at it--now they finally change that and...more criticism.

That site is funny--it's nice to have a company with some bite for once, just like their NY Times ad this week teasing RIM--that too was enjoyable; it shows Palm has some fight and spunk left.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/22/2008 at 07:50 PM.

Here is the ad in the Mall. I've seen it there for a few weeks and always thought they were just showing one in Pink, and one with a skin on it. Never stopped before tonight. By the way, these pics were taken with my Centro. I thought they came out pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I'm just feeling feisty tonight...forgive me :-)

By "smoke & mirrors" advertising, I mean, for example, Palm touting "rich media capabilities". Or the "play" hoopla on the palmcentro.com link above. I believe they used those terms on both the 755p and the Centro. Where exactly is this "media" support? 4gb or smaller expansion cards? A barely-passable camera with no autofocus or flash? No A2DP or 3.5mm stereo headphone jack? No integrated media app/browser in Palm Desktop. Not even a pair of tiny little stereo speakers on the device like some of the fancier dumbphones! Aside from PTunes Deluxe, a handful of color choices and a slightly improved camera and speakerphone, I don't see the Centro having any legitimate "media" improvements over the last half-dozen Treos. In fact, Palm's most media-savvy device is the rebranded 500v.

I'm NEVER had any inherent beef with Palm's marketing or advertising (other than not giving us enough nitty gritty technical info on their website). In fact, I think that given the entire history of the Palm companies and the little shell game they've been playing for years, the company's directors are MASTER MARKETERS. They can spin like no one else. Colligan & co. have managed to hoard a substantial cash reserve while continuing to tread water amidst increasingly fierce competition, all while releasing ho-hum "me too" Windows Mobile products and continuous retreads of the Treo 600.

About 60% of my criticisms with Palm (mind you, as a user since the original Pilot 1000 in 1996) over the years have been of the consistently weak hardware/OS tandem. Their hit & miss reliability/quality/support policies take up the remaining 40%.

P.S. Cellphone users are a notorious fickle bunch. Remember, to these "new" smartphone users, the Centro's novelty has yet to wear off. Let's see how those same user are faring 22 months into their 2yr contract and their Centros are suffering from any number of the usual Palm ailments (flaky digitizers, saggy hard buttons, broken headset jacks etc). Remember, there's a difference between a die-hard Palm OS fan who is also a harsh critic (myself) and will continue to purchase Palm's products as lateral "upgrades" and your average Joe Consumer who will merrily go from one dumbphone to another based on criteria such as price and color. Those are the types that will jump ship from a Centro to a BB or an iPhone without a second thought.

As my device history below can prove, I've stuck through Palm through thick and thin...and having just purchased a 755p last week, I STILL felt that a Palm OS device is the best overall choice in a very bleak smartphone/PDA market.

Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon 755p

P.P.S. I do not hold, nor have I ever held, any stock position in Palm or any other related company. I am a user and report on everything from a loyal but scorned user's perspective.

P.P.P.S. Until Palm shows something tangible to the public, I refuse to believe that Nova is anywhere close to completion nor that it will ever see the light of day. Sorry to sound glum, but we are going on SIX years of FrankenGarnet--an OS that was originally supposed to be an interim release with a window of just ~18 months? At least ALP has been demo'd in some way, shape, and form!
    Last edited by hkklife; 02/22/2008 at 09:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    While we're at it, I must say that Palm has posted some very nice online tutorials at learning.palm.com (shameless plug--see the PalmInfocenter story about the new Centro colors previewed on this site). They are obviously targeted the staff of Palm's wireless retail partners, which is a decidedly different crowd from TreoCentral gang. But I could imagine these tutorials being an immense help to someone who has been handed a Treo by their employer and just instructed to "use it". Let's hope Palm doesn't start password protecting these helpful learning guides. In fact, they should PROMINENTLY link to them at palm.com's main support page!

It's one thing to advertise a product. But it's another to actually stand behind that product (or in the case of the 700w & 700p) devices thare 2 years old or close to it. learning.palm.com as well as the new complimentary phone support w/ new device purchases are both steps in the right direction. Of course, the wireless carriers also do their part to shoulder some of Palm's support load. With the education/training side of things in good shape, I now hope Palm turns some $ loose on addressing ROM updates and quality control in new devices...
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I'm a long time Palm user and we've bought a couple of dozen Centro's for business and everyone that has one thinks it's great. Some had 650's or 700's before as well as a few WM devices. They all think the Centro is a better device for our needs. We use EAS and most of us have pop or imap accounts as well. I run around 35 apps and have not had a reset in three months that I did not initiate myself. Personally, I think the device is rock solid and the design is such that it feels like I'm carrying a regular phone and not a smartphone.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone

Under "Touch"
    Guys playing soccer... Brian breaks his nose... "Bend it like Brian"... hahahaha... (Victoria's pretty fine too...)
    I have to disagree about RIM not grabbing first time smartphone buyers, because they certainly did!

But the Centro website looks great! And is actually better than the TV ads! The website actually shows better who the Centro is geared toward. If it had a new OS and 3G, I might have gotten one as a secondary smartphone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!