1.    #1  
    I want to compress a movie from computer to my Palm. Of course I do not want to pay for a program. What is the best (free) program for this?
    HTC Touch Pro
    This has a lot of info, reviews, guides and tools (both free and $) for this kind of stuff.

http://www.videohelp.com/
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    This is a small program, a little buggy at times but when it works it does an excellent job of compressing a movie file. It will only recognize mpg and avi files, and will convert your file to avi format.

You're looking for something FREE, this is as good as it gets. I have the Matrix 1, 2 and 3 on a 2 Gig card with music videos and still had room for more. Now I have a 4 gig card.

http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/
    Quote Originally Posted by onekoolfella View Post
    This is a small program, a little buggy at times but when it works it does an excellent job of compressing a movie file. It will only recognize mpg and avi files, and will convert your file to avi format.

You're looking for something FREE, this is as good as it gets. I have the Matrix 1, 2 and 3 on a 2 Gig card with music videos and still had room for more. Now I have a 4 gig card.

http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/
    I use pocket DivX encoder also and I've never had any troubles with it. It actually will encode .vob files which you have ripped from a DVD into an .avi file and you can crop out a section of the movie if you want, adjust sound volume, brightness, contrast, video quality. It is a powerful little program indeed.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    I'm a FairUseWizard (light) fan. I know when I first got it it was free...I assume it still is. There is a more robust version that costs money, but you don't need it. I stupidly bought it and I gained nothing for the purpose of converting movies for Palm. The more robust program was more for DVD quality conversions to play back on a regular or large screen television. Obviously with the screen on a palm being so much smaller we don't need that kind of processing/size capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I'm a FairUseWizard (light) fan. I know when I first got it it was free...I assume it still is. There is a more robust version that costs money, but you don't need it. I stupidly bought it and I gained nothing for the purpose of converting movies for Palm. The more robust program was more for DVD quality conversions to play back on a regular or large screen television. Obviously with the screen on a palm being so much smaller we don't need that kind of processing/size capability.
    You are correct, it is amazing how little a file you need to play very nice quality video on the treo. My pocket divx encoder has a quality scale of 1-20 and it defaults to 12 for encoding to an .avi from a .vob file. I leave it there, and the video on the treo is superb!! I do always raise the audio a bit though just so I have some extra volume to play with.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    I use pocket DivX encoder also and I've never had any troubles with it. It actually will encode .vob files which you have ripped from a DVD into an .avi file and you can crop out a section of the movie if you want, adjust sound volume, brightness, contrast, video quality. It is a powerful little program indeed.

I see I'm not the only fan of the little engine that does. For such a small program it does alot.

I also obtained the developer's other program Lathe 1.5, thats not bad either. Same options, the interface is a little better, same options. I was trying to find out if they had a 2.0 but never found it on the web. But the Pocket Divx is fine and version 0.3.96 is suppose to work in Vista but have not had a chance to try it yet.

So Korendog you can't go wrong with the options you were given.