Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love my Centro, but the VersaMail seems to be a step backwards from my Treo 650.

Pet Peeves:
    1.) Sending mail

On the 650, after composing mail, I could (a) save it as a draft, (b) save it into the outbox (in which case it would send during the next sync), or (c) send it now. When you chose to put it into the outbox, you would then get a button labeled "Get/Send" which would allow you to force a sync immediately.

On the Centro, choosing "send" does NOT send the message right away. I'm sitting here waiting for the freaking mail to send. What does it do, wait for the next sync? I even set the sync down to 5 minutes and it still hasn't sent after the last 3 syncs. (I'm not getting any error indications, etiher.) I have it set to sync only once per hour to save battery, but when I send something, I want it sent now! Is there no way to make it send right away? Arrgh!

2.) Getting mail

On the 650, after hitting "Get Mail", progress bars would display showing the total progress and per-message progress if getting multiple emails. (e.g., 2 of 4, etc.) On the Centro, I just get that useless circle thing in the lower right corner. I know that it's doing something, I just don't know what! Is it downloading a large file or is it having trouble connecting to the server? Has it connected and now downloading? How many messages do I have?

I have VersaMail 4.0.1. (Incidentally, I have tried to install the 407 update numerous times without success. [Build 77 is NOT displayed after installation as shown here: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...4updater.html].) Is there an update that fixes these issues? I know there are other mail programs (like ChatterMail), but I can't stomach having to pay 40 bucks for a decent mail client when the old one they had was just fine!
    VersaMail 4.0.7

Not even kidding--it fixes all your issues.

My only issue with Versa are the terrible Alert sounds..other than that, one of the best email apps around, imo, for basic-mid advance email maintenance. Gmail IMAP is great.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Anyone know if the Versamail updater updates the ROM version of Versamail or just creates a new one in RAM (thus further reducing available memory)
    Sorry, it loads into RAM, eating memory.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    VersaMail 4.0.7

My only issue with Versa are the terrible Alert sounds..other than that, one of the best email apps around, imo, for basic-mid advance email maintenance. Gmail IMAP is great.
    you can add more alerts in MIDI format to Versa.

I have "Girls" by the Beastie Boys as my alert tone
    I'm a Pre gal now
    lol..midi, eh? I'll have to look into that--better than nothin'.

7.    #7  
    VersaMail 4.0.7

Any idea why I can't get mine to update? Everything seems to go exactly as planned, step-by-step. But after the install when I check the 'about' page it doesn't show 'Build 77' like it's supposed to. Tech help said I should do a hard reset and then apply the update, which I did with the same results. It's freakin' driving me crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDogMike View Post
    Any idea why I can't get mine to update? Everything seems to go exactly as planned, step-by-step. But after the install when I check the 'about' page it doesn't show 'Build 77' like it's supposed to. Tech help said I should do a hard reset and then apply the update, which I did with the same results. It's freakin' driving me crazy!
    silly question...did you :
    1) go to the "about page"
    2) tap the orange "Palm" image at the top of the screen
    3) the build info will now show up just under the first line of text

On another thread a lot of people where missing step 2
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    silly question...did you :
    1) go to the "about page"
    2) tap the orange "Palm" image at the top of the screen
    3) the build info will now show up just under the first line of text

On another thread a lot of people where missing step 2
    You are exactly right! So, that update DID work and I do have "Build 77." However, that has not fixed my complaints as Malatesta suggested.

Malatesta, you said 4.0.7 fixed the issues. The thing is, the update URL says "versamail407", but when completed the 'about' page actually says VersaMail v. 4.0.1, Build 77. (That's the way the instructions show as well.) Is that the update you're referring to, or is there one that actually shows 4.0.7 when completed? (The one I did is the only one I can find on the Palm web site.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDogMike View Post
    Malatesta, you said 4.0.7 fixed the issues. The thing is, the update URL says "versamail407", but when completed the 'about' page actually says VersaMail v. 4.0.1, Build 77. (That's the way the instructions show as well.) Is that the update you're referring to, or is there one that actually shows 4.0.7 when completed? (The one I did is the only one I can find on the Palm web site.)
    No, mine shows 4.0.1, Build 77 like yours.

But mine behaves differently:
    • When retrieving email, I have status bars
    • When I hit send, it sends automatically in the background

What email service/type are you using? Exchange may handle differently...I'm using IMAP.

When retrieving email, I have status bars
    Really? I still have the little swirl at the bottom right corner. My build 77 installed correctly.
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by davecombs View Post
    Really? I still have the little swirl at the bottom right corner. My build 77 installed correctly.
    Yup. Much faster now too...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...onnecting1.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...7/Getting4.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...a77/Inbox3.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../Checking2.jpg

There's the rub. On my version of Versa, my IMAP account downloads as noted (progress bar, etc.) but on POP accounts it does the swirl.
    EAS gets the swirl as well....
    Matty
    Ok....got a new Centro and need Versamail like the 680 had.....I'm stupid-where do I get it? Only see Xpressmail????
    Nevermind....I found it....in the meantime, I installed Agendus Mail....made the phone slow and crash-anyone else?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by beboyle View Post
    There's the rub. On my version of Versa, my IMAP account downloads as noted (progress bar, etc.) but on POP accounts it does the swirl.
    That sucks. On my old Treo 650 I got the progress bars on POP accounts as well. The swirl is useless.
    What's really useless, and maybe it's just me, is that you don't get any indication that the connection to the server failed. I find myself checking the activity log any time I don't get an email message. Not that I'm expecting one every time I check, but I'd like to know there was a failure because just as often I can do another Get and messages show up.
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Wow, so the VersaMail 4.0.1 Build 77 is dated Dec 19,2007 and was released January 18,2008.
    Guess what my AT&T Centro came with?
    VersaMail 4.01 Build 75 dated Dec 12, 2007.

And.. the update is only on Palm website in the SPRINT Centro section. Not the AT&T Centro section. *grumble*grumble*
    Using Versamail with OTA sync, you can go to the Calendar or Contacts application --> menu --> Sync All and you will get the progress status for each application (Email, Contacts, Calendar) without the rotating circle.

Note: I am still using Exchange Active Sync and Ver. 4.01 Build 48 since I did not want to take up any more RAM with Build 77.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast