Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I've had a Verizon 755p for about a month now and LOVE it...just a couple of questions:

First, I got lots of work emails with attachments in PDF and Word formats. However, I can't seem to open them on my 755p. I'm just using the regular Palm Mail program. After I download a non-multimedia attachment and try to open it by clicking on it, my phone instantly reboots. I have Acrobat Reader for Palm installed, and Documents to Go also. Is there a way to get the 755p to open or save these attachments to the SD card? Would Versamail work better?

Second, I can't get either Documents2Go or Adobe Acrobat Reader to print/fax using PrintMe. It appears that Docs2Go needs another program to print, any idea what to use? When I try to print/fax in Adobe Reader or any program compatible with PrintMe, I get a "This device is unable to display Web Clippings. Web Clippings software is needed to print from this device." error message. Anyone know what this is about?

Finally, I would like to download and install .PRC files from my phone, but found that most websites store .PRC files in .ZIP format. I can't find a way to unzip files from within the 755p. I found a Zip program called HandZipper Lite but it only creates ZIP files, it doesn't unZIP them. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help!
    You need the full version of handzipper to deal with zip files on the sd card.

There is also LightNZip.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    gman, in regards to .zip files, spend the money on Resco Explorer. IT is the answer for a .zip extractor on the palm.

in regards to opening attachments, D2G should open word, pps, xcel, pdf, regardless of which email program your using. Can you save the attachment to the handheld and then go in and open it with in D2G? I would look at the email program chatteremail for handling your email. It does IDLE very well and works great with D2G.

As far as the printing goes, I have never done it, so I have no input.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thanks for the ZIP program info...I'll have to check those out.

As far as the attachments go, no it won't let me save attachments. there is no option to save the file. As soon as I select the attachment, my phone instantly reboots. If I just copy the file directly from my computer to the SD card, it works fine.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Not to belabor the zip program, but I can't recommend UniCmd enough (unicmd.de). I used to use zboxz for normal unzip but it's just nowhere near unicmd, which is a lot like resco explorer but, well, free now.

It's got a couple of quirks since it's out of development, but it's never actually failed to do something I wanted it to. And did I mention it's free?

FWIW I had d2g automatically reset on me for a while, I had to do a hard reset and reinstall. It sounds like that's probably not your problem, but if nothing else works it might be worth a shot. You might also try the centro versamail update, or deleting it if you've already tried it. =)
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quick update, I decided to do a more in depth analysis:

-Pictures download, view, and save fine.
    -.DOC, .XLS files do not load, I get a "Attachment viewer not initialized or installed." error. Even though I do have Documents to Go installed.
    - .PDF files instantly reboot the phone.

I might try a hard reset. If I sync my phone with my computer just before, will anything be lost?
    This is a software issue. And it is a Palm native software. It should be able to do what you are trying to do. Call Palm about this. Or maybe better to try installing the Centro Versamail update on your 755.
    For .zip files check out unicmd. It's free and can do a lot of cool stuff.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    gman, did you get this fixed with the hard reset? I am curious about the printing option you talked about. Is it via bluetooth or do you hotsync to a computer and that generates the print? let me know.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I had called Palm for support earlier regarding attachments, and they weren't very helpful. They pretty much said, "You may not be able to access certain attachments." Pretty vague. I might try calling them again since I'm still in the free tech support period.

I'm a little chicken to do the hard reset, so I haven't done it yet. I want to make sure I have everything backed up first and was wondering what I might lose....

I downloaded Unicmd, and it's sweet! Does what I needed it to do, and more, thanks!

The printing option using PrintMe - I have never been able to get it to work, but you're supposed to be able to fax anywhere, and print to certain public/hotel printers over the internet. Unfortunately, the included documentation is lacking and so is the PrintMe website. I keep getting a "No web clipping software" error message...which from what I understand is saying my Treo has no web capability, which is obviously not true. So I give up for now...

UPDATE: I found this FAQ on the Palm website, why do they include PrintMe if it hasn't worked for years?

"PQAs (Web Clipping) Discontinued: The Palm PQA (web clipping) service is discontinued as of August 31, 2004. The information below will not be applicable after that date. To continue browsing the web wirelessly, we recommend you upgrade to an easy-to-use, full-featured smartphone, which provides a richer web browsing experience and better email options. We can help you migrate. Click here to learn how to upgrade to a smartphone.

Web Clipping was a technology used for delivering information over a wireless messaging service for use with the Palm™ i705 and Palm™ VII series handhelds. The PrintMe application installed on some PalmOSŪ 5 handhelds will not work on devices other than Palm i705 handhelds. You can delete this application from your PalmOS 5 handheld by following these steps.

1) Select the Delete Option from the Launcher Menu bar.
    2) Locate the PrintMe application and highlight it.
    3) Select Delete and Confirm the Delete by selecting Yes "
    Last edited by gman757; 02/22/2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Update from Palm
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    If you hot sync, it will back up the device. You may have to re register a program or two, but all contacts and calender and apps will reload. I use resco backup, and restore from that all the time, but hot sync works also. just make sure you hotsync then hard reset. You should be good to go. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I tried print me before and got that same response from the program. but I will try it out again..........
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Also Reco Explorer can work with zip files pretty well and is probably the most usefull program I use.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Ok, I got .PDF files to work. I deleted Adobe Reader and PrintMe, and now Docs2Go will read the .PDF fine. For some reason, .DOC and .XLS files still reboot my phone. The thing is that clicking on the attachment is only supposed to save the file to SD card, not open the file. So it's strange that this would crash the phone.

I was thinking about trying a different email program to see if that is the problem first, then try the hard reset.
    Clicking on the name of the attachment will open the attachment. Clicking on the little yellow icon to the left of the name will give you the option to save the file.
    Quote Originally Posted by gman757 View Post
    Ok, I got .PDF files to work. I deleted Adobe Reader and PrintMe, and now Docs2Go will read the .PDF fine. For some reason, .DOC and .XLS files still reboot my phone. The thing is that clicking on the attachment is only supposed to save the file to SD card, not open the file. So it's strange that this would crash the phone.

I was thinking about trying a different email program to see if that is the problem first, then try the hard reset.
    Sprint Mobile Email has the same problem. If you have a zip file manager installed, and click on a zip attachment in an email, soft reboot after it tries to load.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    OK I finally got things to work. I had to re-install Documents to Go. I found a help FAQ on the DataViz website, and everything worked after following Solution #2:

http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13568

If you have to do the same, make sure you follow the directions exactly, otherwise you will have to pay for another copy of Docs2Go.
    Last edited by gman757; 02/26/2008 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Also Reco Explorer can work with zip files pretty well and is probably the most usefull program I use.
    Except Resco isn't a free app like UNICMD.

Have you (syphex) ever tried UNI? Like someone else said, I can't recommend it enough (not for you, you already have the tools, but for those looking for file-management programs). You can backup, edit, send/beam, zip, unzip, erase, rename, move, install, copy, etc., it's VERY stable ... and it's free. I had FileZ and HandZipper and deleted them from my Treo in favor of UNICMD. BTW, I love its split screen, very helpful. Actually, I find it strange that such a complete and free app is not really very popular among Palm users (from reading this and other PalmOS/Treo forums).

Not saying Resco and/or the other ($$$) apps can't do those things (or even more), but you can't beat free, specially if it works.
    Last edited by Cheker; 02/26/2008 at 03:45 PM.