VisorPhone >>Treo 600 >>Black Palm Centro
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T GSM
    Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
    are entirely due to transmission error
    Quote Originally Posted by brf View Post
    the people over at engadget think the Black release is close:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...ay-hint-no-vu/
    notice the at & t appeal to the mullet crowd,
    business in the front party in the back.

http://www.wireless.att.com/business...0003j3709u6741

"It's all wrapped up in one small, stylish, affordable little device and is available now in Glacier White–coming soon in Obsidian Black."
    Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    notice the at & t appeal to the mullet crowd,
    business in the front party in the back.
    *cry quietly* i just made myself ill trying to not bust up laughing at work. i love my centro, but you've totally nailed it.
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    Looks like someone got lucky today!

Hopefully we'll all be that lucky soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    Looks like someone got lucky today!

Hopefully we'll all be that lucky soon!
    I'm the lucky one! Happened to be in a local AT&T retail store here in Salt Lake and they had black Centros in the back! It's a beauty -- I immediately thought, "Darth Vader" Centro It will likely be a fingerprint magnet, but that's a small price to pay for that little gem.

Give your local AT&T stores a call... <Eastwood voice>... "Do you feel lucky, punk? DO ya?!?"
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Does the black AT&T version get rid of the camera shutter lag that seems to be apparent with some of the Sprint and white AT&T versions?
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Does the black AT&T version get rid of the camera shutter lag that seems to be apparent with some of the Sprint and white AT&T versions?
    I haven't been able to run my Centro through it's paces yet. It's charging up right now. As soon as I have it up and running, I'll post back here. I would honestly be surprised if it was any different than the white AT&T Centro (except for color, of course).
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    My store received 3 Black Centro's - I have one on hold
    Wichita Kansas
    The AT&T store in Atlanta (by Perimiter) just got 5 black Centros in today.

They've got 4 left 'cause I just bought mine!
  10.    #50  
    Any sightings on the West Coast Yet?
    Palm Pilot Personal> Palm Pilot Professional> Palm 3e >Palm Tungsten e> Handspring Treo 90> Handspring Treo 180> Handspring Treo 270> Treo 600GSM Unbranded> Treo 650GSM Unbranded> Treo 680GSM Unbranded> Treo 750 ATT 3 Days > Back to Treo 680 Unbranded > Treo 680 ATT Branded W/Update> Black GSM Centro. Ouch it hurts to think about how many Palm Products I've been through.>Black Sprint Centro. Sprint Palm Pre.
  11. brf
    woohoo, I'm getting on the phone here in SoCal

*just found a store in San Diego with them and I'm on my way to pick 2 up!
    Last edited by brf; 03/27/2008 at 07:22 PM.
    VisorPhone >>Treo 600 >>Black Palm Centro
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T GSM
    Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
    are entirely due to transmission error
    Quote Originally Posted by brf View Post
    woohoo, I'm getting on the phone here in SoCal

*just found a store in San Diego with them and I'm on my way to pick 2 up!
    Black with sparkles only colour available here in Australia; unlocked GSM version.

Strange Centro was on Australian Palm site for about 24 hours, but they have since pulled the page. No camera lag in mine.

Be careful guys, case is very slippery!

Enjoy! IMO great little phone, really would be better if had WiFi, 3G, and Bluetooth Stereo 2.0+, but easily livable without.

Enjoy!
    Man I buy a car and turn my back for one day and the bottom falls out, guess Ill have to drive to the sto in the mornin' and git' one. talk about it all fallinmg into place at once, except Doh' I still haven't ordered an 8 gig micro sd.
    Maybe I should exchange my white one this weekend. I kinda like the look of black a bit better. Plus then I could get the Sprint extended battery...
  15. esk
    Quote Originally Posted by dvkim View Post
    Any sightings on the West Coast Yet?
    i picked one up today at the AT&T store in downtown seattle! ready to upgrade from my trusty sony clie...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    I'm the lucky one! Happened to be in a local AT&T retail store here in Salt Lake and they had black Centros in the back! It's a beauty -- I immediately thought, "Darth Vader" Centro It will likely be a fingerprint magnet, but that's a small price to pay for that little gem.

Give your local AT&T stores a call... <Eastwood voice>... "Do you feel lucky, punk? DO ya?!?"
    Bri Guy

I send you innumerable praises and thanks for announcing/verifying that you obtained the "Holy Grail of Not Hideously Ugly Att Centros" last night. (For several reasons, it is mission critical that I upgrade to a smartphone immediately, but "Treos son Feos"!)

Just earlier that evening, I had spent several hours haunting ATT's customer service reps over the phone as to when the "Obsidian" Centros would be released online. The rep claimed they didn't know and wouldn't offer an estimate even after I advised them their own corporate office news release stated it would be the "end of March".

Then I called my local corporately owned ATT sales location, and when the sales person heard I was trying to upgrade online, HE LIED that his store would not have the Obsidian phones until THE END OF MAY.

Statistically, if you call enough people, you will eventually get what you want, so I called the online customer service reps again-- and the different rep to whom I spoke, kindly repeated that I GO to the very store I had just called to see what they could do for me... hint, hint but I don't like salespeople (for the above mentioned malfunction of their mouths) and thought of a work-around...

So while I was in the process of of deciding between ordering the Treo 680 or the hideous glacial Centro to use (surely Obsidian would be out before the 30 day trade period expired) I just happened to search the web a little more thoroughly for ATT's obsidian release date...

And you confirmed the happiest moment of my desperate need for upgrading my beloved, yet outdated v551

This morning, I called the same store where the one salesman lied about the arrival date. Armed with the knowledge that YOU had the "obsidian centro" and advising the new salesperson of such, it was amazing how fast she checked her inventory so I could upgrade. I expect a phone call from her later today or tomorrow when their shipment arrives...

[Unless she has the same defect of the mouth as the other sales associate ]

So if I don't get a call by the end of the day with a status, I'm going to phone the store with a different cell number under the pretense to upgrade and ask about a release date. It will be interesting to find out whether the location is just playing games...
    Charging mine now. GA north Atlanta burbs
    [skipping happily 'round the office]

I don't know how many are at the store, but I get mine today!

Now my employees are doomed to text message directives that cannot be misinterpreted!

Thanks again, Bri Guy , for sharing the "intel" on the obsidian.

Knowledge is power.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Could some post some photos? I am particularly interested in the keyboard colors and the color of the black casing. As a recall, the Sprint Black had a sparkle element to it, what's the difference here? Can anyone describe the black in case it does not come across in a photo?

Also, what is the out of door price? Is it still being sold with the $100 rebate or has AT&T finally abandoned this pain in the but requirement?
    Last edited by RoninKSB; 03/28/2008 at 02:44 PM.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    After reading your many posts, I had to join this forum just so I could share this. Everyone posting here seems like they have a good sense of humor, so I thought you would appreciate this. I'm someone who often decries customer service as being basically "dead" at all large companies. As proof, I sent a question (before finding this forum) to AT&T's customer service email address and asked if they knew anything about offering the Palm Centro in additional colors as I was 43-years old and didn't want a phone that looked like it was for a 13-year old girl. This is the response I got:
    "Mr. Wynn, I am sorry, but at this time, I do not know of any plans to
    bring the Palm Centro back. The closest phone we offer to the Centro is
    the Palm treo.I see that you have had service with us since 06/29/2004.
    I would like to take a moment and thank you for being a loyal customer.
    If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know."
    After kindly replying to her that her company did, in fact, offer the Centro and that I was just asking about the possibility of a different color any time soon, she replied that there were no plans to add any different colors...... Here's to customer service being revived someday....and thanks for indulging me....I think it was a kind of "therapy" to get to vent
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast