Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    My buddy has a Verizon 755p and a Garmin nuvi 780. We can get it paired properly, and after the 755p resets itself once, it seems to work fine for that initial pairing. However, once the Garmin is turned off, subsequent attempts to re-pair the two sends the 755p into a reset loop. Garmin, Palm, and Verizon were no help.

Does anyone have either a solution to this problem or long-term success with their 755p with ANY of the portable navigation units out there that have traffic, bluetooth, etc?
    I'm not familiar with Garmin's self-contained units like the Nuvi, but the Garmin Mobile 10, which is a package including a bluetooth GPS receiver + map database + Palm software, works pretty well. Not perfect for sure, but pretty well. You use your Treo's screen and keyboard, and the software integrates with your Palm address book (again pretty well, not perfectly). Online services (traffic, gas prices, hotel prices) are included for free (of course you have to have a data connection on the Treo and the usual charges will apply.)

Check out this monster thread for more details.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Yeah....my buddy is looking for a larger screen, traffic, and handsfree bluetooth in one unit.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    My buddy has a Verizon 755p and a Garmin nuvi 780. We can get it paired properly, and after the 755p resets itself once, it seems to work fine for that initial pairing. However, once the Garmin is turned off, subsequent attempts to re-pair the two sends the 755p into a reset loop. Garmin, Palm, and Verizon were no help.
    Yeah man, I just got a nuvi 760 and the EXACT same thing happens to me. Pissin' me off, I got the 760 specifically for the bluetooth, but if it doesn't work, I might have to return it.

UPDATE: I got it to work for now...what I did was update the Garmin to the newest firmware version and the newest Bluetooth update. Then I deleted all Bluetooth profiles on the Garmin and my Treo. Then I initiated the Bluetooth from the phone, NOT the Garmin. I'm gonna mess with it some more tommorrow and see if it's stable.
    Last edited by gman757; 02/21/2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Update
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    We went the other route. We initially got the reset loop with BT v3.0, the latest BT software for the Garmin. Tonight he got an email from Garmin with v2.4 and instructions telling him to DOWNGRADE the BT version. We did that, and now the Treo resets once every time the Garmin is turned on, and then works fine. If the Garmin is turned off and turned on again, the Treo usually resets once and then works. Unfortunately now he can't answer a call from the Garmin.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Interesting. Just another update....after my initial sucess, my phone goes into continuous reboot loop again with the Garmin, no matter what I do.

I guess I could try what you did, but if the Garmin can't answer a call, it's pretty useless to me anyway. I'm going to try my wife's LG phone and see how that one works too.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    See posts with my problems over here .. http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...=69339&#706296

Original copied below ..
    I purchased a nuvi 760 (first SATNAV) (webupdated it (v2.60), BT updated it (v3.00)) on friday .. well by Friday night it had successfully corrupted my Treo 650 Sprint beyond repair. The phone was working perfectly for 2.5yrs .. it seems very odd that it crapped out just after pairing it with the 760.

So on Saturday Sprint service provided me a new/refurb Treo 700p .. well by Sunday night the phone went into reboot loop, and it needed to be hard-reset. Again, my guess is that it is due to the 760 pairing ..

I guess the good news in all of this is that I know understand why only a handful of my "contacts" (really only my speed-dials) had transferred to the nuvi .. and now I have successfully "Send Category" my full contact list to the nuvi.

Bottom line, Sprint Treo 650 and 700p users please express your experiences with nuvi 760 main v2.6, BT v3.0 so that I can better understand how to attack the problem.

Thanks,

jpf
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    We went the other route. We initially got the reset loop with BT v3.0, the latest BT software for the Garmin. Tonight he got an email from Garmin with v2.4 and instructions telling him to DOWNGRADE the BT version. We did that, and now the Treo resets once every time the Garmin is turned on, and then works fine. If the Garmin is turned off and turned on again, the Treo usually resets once and then works. Unfortunately now he can't answer a call from the Garmin.
    Please explain what you mean by 2.4? Is that main nuvi software 2.4? or only BT 2.4? What version is your BT now? How did you get the 2.4? Is it downloadable? Can you post a link to it?

Thanks,

jpf
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpf321 View Post
    Please explain what you mean by 2.4? Is that main nuvi software 2.4? or only BT 2.4? What version is your BT now? How did you get the 2.4? Is it downloadable? Can you post a link to it?

Thanks,

jpf
    Apparently this is BT 2.4 not Unit 2.4 .. it is available for download from Garmin's Italian site .. I found a thread about this here
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...OPIC_ID=106955

.. HTH .. at this point I have downgraded to BT 2.4 .. will report if this makes a difference.

jpf
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Glad you found it, but it made no difference for us. According to Garmin the 700p should work with any Garmin that has BT v2.4, 2.8, or 3.0. We tried it with both v2.4 and v3.0 with the 755p and the 700p and neither worked, despite the 700p being listed as compatible.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Glad you found it, but it made no difference for us. According to Garmin the 700p should work with any Garmin that has BT v2.4, 2.8, or 3.0. We tried it with both v2.4 and v3.0 with the 755p and the 700p and neither worked, despite the 700p being listed as compatible.
    can you briefly describe your continued problems..i found that when running BT 2.4 that I had to begin the pairing FROM THE NUVI, which is contrary to the website instructions and how I had been pairing previously ...

I haven't tested it too much ... but it has not yet reset my phone even once .. so it seems a bit more stable. Will let you know if things go down hill.

jpf
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    No matter what we try we get a reset loop. It will pair up, but then send the Treos into a reset loop. It's a Verizon 755p and 700p, so I don't know if that is part of the problem, since you have Sprint. Sometimes when pairing we get a "key" symbol next to the "Nuvi" in the trusted devices list, other times it does not appear.

Can you tell us step by step how you paired using the Nuvi rather than the Treo? Also, did you try turning the 760 off and on again to see if that caused a reset loop?

TIA
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I only got the reset loop on my Treo 700p the other night .. however, I did a Treo hard-reset thereafter and it has not gone into reset loop since.

OK I just deleted the trusts from each side ..
    Then I Disabled BT on the Nuvi and then Enabled .. (just for good measure)
    On the Treo .. make sure BT is set to visible and MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ON THE BT CONFIG SCREEN...(click home button)
    On Nuvi .. Add Device
    Once Treo is found .. select it and hit OK
    Enter 1234 on treo and hit OK ..
    Nuvi reports .. "Ready to make calls"

That's about it .. I would definitely sync your Treo and then perform a hard-reset .. There are several other ways to reset from a reset-loop ..
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...,Case=obj(887))

HTH,

jpf
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    FYI, Verizon is infamous for having crippled BT functionality .. I know that they have turned off some BT profiles on their other phones .. not sure if they also took the time to cripple Treos .. I haven't any to test with. Let me know your results.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I would definitely sync your Treo and then perform a hard-reset .. There are several other ways to reset from a reset-loop ..
    If I pair and THEN so a hard reset, I will lose the BT pairing I just completed. Do you mean a soft or warm reset?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I only got the reset loop on my Treo 700p the other night .. however, I did a Treo hard-reset thereafter and it has not gone into reset loop since.

OK I just deleted the trusts from each side ..
    Then I Disabled BT on the Nuvi and then Enabled .. (just for good measure)
    On the Treo .. make sure BT is set to visible and MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ON THE BT CONFIG SCREEN...(click home button)
    On Nuvi .. Add Device
    Once Treo is found .. select it and hit OK
    Enter 1234 on treo and hit OK ..
    Nuvi reports .. "Ready to make calls"

That's about it .. I would definitely sync your Treo and then perform a hard-reset .. There are several other ways to reset from a reset-loop ..
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...,Case=obj(887))

HTH,

jpf
    I tried your method, first doing a hard reset, then your directions, and it worked....for about 30 seconds..... and went back to the infinite reset loop.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Me too. It worked initially, but when I shut off the Nuvi and turned it back on to simulate getting in and out of the car, the Treo first reset then froze up completely.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    If I pair and THEN so a hard reset, I will lose the BT pairing I just completed. Do you mean a soft or warm reset?
    I had meant that you should hard-reset and then re-pair the devices. Sorry to be unclear.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Me too. It worked initially, but when I shut off the Nuvi and turned it back on to simulate getting in and out of the car, the Treo first reset then froze up completely.
    gman and dcp .. are you guys running BT 2.4 on the nuvi? or BT 3.0? gman -- which carrier phone do you have?
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    The last attempt was with 3.0. He has to go home to put 2.4 back on. On a side note, he tried the Harman Kardon GPS-810 just now, and after an initial reboot, it seems to work without further resets even though he turned the unit off and on again. He's off to try the Magellan 4250.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast