1.    #1  
    I know I'm a fool for posting this because everyone is going to come out and flame away. But I just can't help it.

I've pretty much come to accept that there will be very little new software that comes out for the Palm OS that will be really impressive. I've owned a Palm IIIx, a Handera 330, a Kyocera 7135, a Treo 600, Treo 650 and Treo 700P. Safe to say I'm a loyalist. But it has simply run its course and while I look forward to Palm's next OS, the gadget nut in me wants to see what else is out there now.

So I picked up an XV6800 to demo.

O h m y G o d.

Is there some kind of sick requirement on WM devices that everything requires at least three button presses? Did they make everything so difficult so as to encourage you to wear all the buttons down from constant use so that nothing can possibly last more than 12 months? Is there some competition to see how many soft resets are needed in one day to keep enough memory available?

I have no one to blame but myself. I knew this would happen. Way back in the day I bought a Dell Axim when it first came out. It was designed to replace my Handera 330 back them. So to a certain extent I knew what I would eventually have to face. But man o man, this is just cruel.

The saddest part? The XV6800 is a more capable device than my 700P (it should be, it's newer). There's simply more it can do than my 700P. I don't have to screw around with A2DP support like I do on the 700P. Bluetooth is better on the XV6800 as well. I couldn't care less about WiFi, but yeah, it's there. The available software is now more robust (though absolutely not easier) on the WM devices too.

But make no mistake, the Zen of Palm was absolutely right on. They designed their devices for ease of use. In that, they succeed admirably. No doubt about it.

So now what do I do? Well, I may yet hold onto my Treo 700P for another year. I don't know if I can handle advanced carpel tunnel courtesy of Microsoft. It's a tempting offer. But I'm just not sure...

So for all of you Treo 700P owners who have been wondering... "should I be looking?"..."am I missing out on something?"...well, let me simply remind you of what you already know. The grass is not always greener on the other side. Sometimes it's just spray paint.
    LMAO! I couldn't agree more. But in WM defense, if we spent as much time fiddling and futzing with a WM device as we do with the Palm device, I'm sure we could customize it to do what we want it to do in fewer steps.

It is kind of funny in comparison though....if the goal is to get a few fundamentals done: connect a call, send an email, send a text, record a 5 second voice memo, take and save a picture, schedule a meeting for next month, look up a movie time at a theater near you, add a new contact....I wonder what the times would be comparing two power-users in both OS's....I guess the WM device could multi-task the stopwatch in the background and perform the tests while the Palm would have to use a separate clock. LOL.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    nope, i can run my stopwatch in the background on my 700p just fine. I do it every weekend at my son's soccer games.

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo View Post
    LMAO! I couldn't agree more. But in WM defense, if we spent as much time fiddling and futzing with a WM device as we do with the Palm device, I'm sure we could customize it to do what we want it to do in fewer steps.

It is kind of funny in comparison though....if the goal is to get a few fundamentals done: connect a call, send an email, send a text, record a 5 second voice memo, take and save a picture, schedule a meeting for next month, look up a movie time at a theater near you, add a new contact....I wonder what the times would be comparing two power-users in both OS's....I guess the WM device could multi-task the stopwatch in the background and perform the tests while the Palm would have to use a separate clock. LOL.
    FWIW, I am in the same leaky boat. Post MR, my 700p is completely unreliable. I am unable to complete a call without receiving "Network Signal Faded" despite the fact I am stationary. Just today I was on a conference call and this happened. Before I could redial, the 700p rebooted. I am SO tired of this. I don't give people my cell number because I have no idea if I will be able to answer. I am tired of being unable to turn off MUTE (because of the LONG delay after you push the button) so I can answer a question during a conference call.

I had decided to go the same route you did and purchase a Mogul. I was to the point of watching eBay auctions to establish an average cost when I read somewhere how unreliable that device was. Stay with the known problems of the 700p or go to a new device with new problems not yet learned? I decided to stay. I am tempted to install the 755 update ROM and give it a try. However, with my luck, Palm will release an official 700p update which can only be applied to the current v1.10 700p ROM.

I really need a reliable smartphone. With the recent unlimited everything plans, I am tempted to look at the other carriers offerings. Sprint has been good, but they have a poor selection of phones right now.
    Hey Choda,

You should have some good luck with the 755 rom. My device was stable before, but after the 755 update it is snappier.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will probably upgrade today.
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    Everything is faster and more stable after the 755 rom update.

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will probably upgrade today.
    Sure enough.

You might download Reset Dr. if you are still having problems as it will most likely be related to some software conflict. Reset Dr will give you a little more info about crashes. It also gives you a couple of tools for memory handling (clearing cache, etc.) Rlock would be a good app for you as well...you can lock your most used apps into memory which should stabilize things. Let us know how it goes.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Stay with the known problems of the 700p or go to a new device with new problems not yet learned? I decided to stay. I am tempted to install the 755 update ROM and give it a try. However, with my luck, Palm will release an official 700p update which can only be applied to the current v1.10 700p ROM.
    Since upgrading my 700p with the 755p ROM, it has never been so fast or stable. I have not experienced one crash in almost a week and now feel confident that my Treo will be there when needed. BT is so much improved as well.

I wouldn't hold out hope that there will be any more official updates for the 700p. Palm has sent that ship sailing. Besides, you can flash your Treo back to the 1.10 ROM if necessary, I believe.
    With a few apps and tweaks (mostly free), you can use your WM device almost as fast as your Palm.

Ctrl Key Pro lets me call up dozens of apps with two button presses.

The biggest problem on WM IMO is that there is a lot of bloated, slow software. That's why I find myself using StyleTap to emulate a good number of Palm OS apps wherever possible.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.