1.    #1  
    I know that you can sync files etc. with the proper conduit.

My question is this, what happens for example, if you want to just beam/serial/usb and address, memo or some other file to a PC notebook that does not have hotsync software or the right conduit.

For example, you have a memo. It's just text, is it possible to beam or send the text via serial/usb cable to a PC?

I'm not that interested in formating as such, but it would be good if with Pedit for example, to jot down some notes and just load it up to a PC as a plain text file or something for formatting without the hotsync software.

Can this be done by copying files to CF or SmartMedia card with the appropriate module and using the floppy adapter for the SmartMedia card for example?
    There's an app called BeamPro which allows you to beam files and individual contacts and Memos. Doesn't get it on the PC tho.

Also, the service "WeSync" (http://www.wesync.com) allows you to share your address book and calendar with others. This doesn't solve the memo-to-pc problem either.

I don't have any personal experience with either item; I just knew about them.

What you describe about using the SmartMedia card sounds like it would work, assuming the information goes onto the card as plain text and not as a .pdb which then needs to be translated.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    You can beam things from your Palm OS PDA to Windows PCs if:

1) Your PDA is OS 3.5 or higher, OR you're using IRLink
    or some such 3rd party tool.
    2) AND your Windows PC is Win95/98 AND has an IrDA port, or
    an IrDA cable attached to a serial or USB port.

I've gotten 3rd party IrDA drivers for Windows NT 4
    PCs that work with their IrDA cables. I'm unclear whether
    you can beam things to Windows 2000 PCs with IrDA hardware --
    Win2k supports a different type of IrDA communication
    than previous versions of Windows. (A more IP-like packetized
    version of IrDA, rather than the older IRSerial IrDA protocol.)

Hope this helps...
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  4.    #4  
    I've figured another way out:

MemPlug SmartMedia Module
    SmartMedia floppy adapter (so it can be read by PC)
    Pedit or something that exports to doc format
    Program that translates DOC to PC txt file

Export doc format from pedit
    Move doc file to SmartMedia card
    Take out SmartMedia card and put into floppy adapter
    Copy doc converter to pc from smartmedia card.
    Copy doc file and then convert.

Rather convoluted way (as compared to just beaming it over) but at least I know that if the PC has a floppy drive, I can transfer files over. There are a few pdb converters as well, so it can be imported intro spreadsheets and stuff.
    Originally posted by kaeru
    I've figured another way out:

MemPlug SmartMedia Module
    SmartMedia floppy adapter (so it can be read by PC)
    Pedit or something that exports to doc format
    Program that translates DOC to PC txt file

Export doc format from pedit
    Move doc file to SmartMedia card
    Take out SmartMedia card and put into floppy adapter
    Copy doc converter to pc from smartmedia card.
    Copy doc file and then convert.

Rather convoluted way (as compared to just beaming it over) but at least I know that if the PC has a floppy drive, I can transfer files over. There are a few pdb converters as well, so it can be imported intro spreadsheets and stuff.
    I've thought about the same thing. You probably can even run the doc converter straight from the FlashPath. For something with a bit more formatting, you could try WordSmith's command-line .pdb/RTF converter.

One question:
    Is it possible to run the drivers/programs the FlashPath needs to work if you don't have admin privileges?
    Here's another way to do it:

*Obtain a hotsync serial cable

For instance, www.pcables.com can sell you something called a PDCH-H9 for the Visor Solo, Deluxe, Prism, or Platinum.

*Plug it into a PC serial port

*Open a hyperterminal on the PC and a terminal program on the Visor such as Online from www.markspace.com. Set up the hyperterminal to "capture" mode. (It'll ask for a filename)

*You will be able to use the "Send a Memo" function to send out the text file on the PC.

*Stop the capture on the PC, now you have the memo in the given filename.