1.    #1  
    Is it me, or does every useful palm software cost a lot of money... What happened to the days of freeware?? Even these simple software packages are costing 20$ etc... Is there a palm freeware page where i can get equivalants to these but not shell out all this dough?
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    It's still a good start, though some of the links still go to old PalmGear pages... and they were phasing out freeware even before the switch to PocketGear.

I find a lot of things through articles here, PalmInfocenter, PalmAddict... with links to the developers' sites. I haven't found one good site for freeware lately, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by aagiants View Post
    Is it me, or does every useful palm software cost a lot of money... What happened to the days of freeware?? Even these simple software packages are costing 20$ etc... Is there a palm freeware page where i can get equivalants to these but not shell out all this dough?
    Part of it is because ESDs (Electronic Software Distributors, companies like PocketGear/PalmGear/Motricity, Handango and MobiHand) keep increasing their royalty percentages.

When I first got started royalties were around 30% (I charge $10 for my app, the ESD gets $3 and I get $7). But recently MotriCity (they operate PocketGear and the now defunct PalmGear) and Handango have increased their royalties up to about 50%. That means if I want to make $10 for an application I have to charge $20. As a result customers and developers get ripped off (and the app that used to cost you $10 will now cost you closer to $20).

So far, the only ESD that has remained to be reasonable and respectable is MobiHand (they operate the software stores at PalmInfocenter, Tam's Palm and here, Treocentral, to name a few).

Of course, the one disadvantage is that many software developers then keep their prices even across all ESDs (customers whine when they buy an app for $20 at one place and then see it somewhere else for half of that), so this keeps prices high.

I recommend supporting developers and purchase through a MobiHand run operation. Maybe the other ESDs will get the hint that they are being unreasonable.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    I have a 755p, but I just wanted to say THANKS for this...as I see there's a link with a list developed for my device at the bottom of that page!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Part of it is because ESDs (Electronic Software Distributors, companies like PocketGear/PalmGear/Motricity, Handango and MobiHand) keep increasing their royalty percentages. ...

I recommend supporting developers and purchase through a MobiHand run operation. Maybe the other ESDs will get the hint that they are being unreasonable.
    That's very informative, thank you. I was starting to wonder where the free or nearly-free Palm software of only 4-5 years ago was heading. A lot of medical software is still free, and that's what I need on a day-to-day basis.

Now allow me to digress. I recently thought to myself, "wouldn't it be great if there was a Palm application that did...". And then I thought, "hmmm, wonder if I could program it myself?" Crazy thought. I have not programmed anything (except perhaps my universal remote?!?) since grade school and high school with the old Apple II, the original IBM PC, and languages such as Pascal, BASIC, C, and so forth. I'd like to make a simple program that walks a physician through the algorithm steps for current pneumonia treatment guidelines, just as an example. There are other neat examples of programs which walk a physician through step-by-step algorithms in practice guidelines. This is not to suggest that the practice of medicine is cook-book. It isn't. But when one has the training, experience, and wisdom to know which strategy and approach to care to take with a patient, then all one needs is to apply the right steps. It would be nice to routinize this little example.

So, what resources are there that I could look at to see just how easy or hard it is to do basic application development? No fancy graphics, just simple algorithm encoding. If you want an example, go look at STAT! Cardiac Clearance. This nifty program takes a 40+ page practice guideline with about 10 different branch-point steps on an algorithm flow chart and turns it into a 5-10 click Palm application which allows me to enter data and get the recommendation by the American College of Cardiology for my patient in mere seconds. Here's a link:
    http://www.statcoder.com/cardiac1.htm

Any recommendations?
    -- Josh (Dr. Josh, that is)
    You could always try prc-tools
    see
    http://prc-tools.sourceforge.net/
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Part of it is because ESDs (Electronic Software Distributors, companies like PocketGear/PalmGear/Motricity, Handango and MobiHand) keep increasing their royalty percentages.

When I first got started royalties were around 30% (I charge $10 for my app, the ESD gets $3 and I get $7). But recently MotriCity (they operate PocketGear and the now defunct PalmGear) and Handango have increased their royalties up to about 50%. That means if I want to make $10 for an application I have to charge $20. As a result customers and developers get ripped off (and the app that used to cost you $10 will now cost you closer to $20).

So far, the only ESD that has remained to be reasonable and respectable is MobiHand (they operate the software stores at PalmInfocenter, Tam's Palm and here, Treocentral, to name a few).

Of course, the one disadvantage is that many software developers then keep their prices even across all ESDs (customers whine when they buy an app for $20 at one place and then see it somewhere else for half of that), so this keeps prices high.

Very good summary. Just a couple other points. Motricity also operates the Palm website software store. There is a new developer's website that gives a 100% of the profits to developers (zlthemes.com). It is only currently used by a couple developers though. From a consumer's point of view, I purchase most of my third party apps from Treonauts.com. They usually have a 20% off sale going on (type in coupon code: BESTSELLERS). They are operated by Mobihand as well. Not sure why they are able to have such a good discount all the time and other Mobihand sites don't.