Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    I previously had a 650 that died and I'm picking up my AT&T Centro today. I'd like to hit the ground running when I get the Centro, so a couple of questions:

Can the Centro be plugged in and the 650 software immediately will pick up the Centro and sync it or should the Palm software for the 650 be uninstalled prior to installing the Centro software?

Are the conduits the same for each?

I had PDANET for my 650. Do I need to install a different one for the Centro?

Thanks a buttload.
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    I previously had a 650 that died and I'm picking up my AT&T Centro today. I'd like to hit the ground running when I get the Centro, so a couple of questions:

Can the Centro be plugged in and the 650 software immediately will pick up the Centro and sync it or should the Palm software for the 650 be uninstalled prior to installing the Centro software?

Before you sync your Centro, install the new disk that came with it OVER the old program, do not delete it. Then it will be safe to sync. If there are any programs from the 650 that aren't compatable with the Centro it will tell you, and tell you where they are stored.

Are the conduits the same for each? Yes.

I had PDANET for my 650. Do I need to install a different one for the Centro?
    Yes, there is an upgrade available for the Centro here: http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php
    They did have it available at a discounted upgrade price, but I don't see it there. You might want to email them as they are good at getting back to you.

Thanks a buttload.
    That's discusting.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    That's discusting.

You've been very helpful........
    Don't you need to use a different name than the old Palm device or something on the new one?
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    Don't you need to use a different name than the old Palm device or something on the new one?
    I would think I'd have to use the same one.
    Yes, you would need to use the same name to do what you're wanting to do.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Yes and no. Yes, you need to use the same name to keep the registration active on most apps. No, you shouldn't necessarily just sync once you load the new CD. Why? Old programs--that may not all be compatible--will get loaded too. If you're running more than a few basic apps, you definitely don't want to do this.

Here's a better, if more involved, way. When you reload Palm Desktop, first skip the sync in the course of the installation. Once it's done installing, open Palm Desktop and rename your profile (to something easily recognizable, like "Treo 650"). Then create a new, fresh profile with the same name you had before.

Now nothing will be automatically copied that you don't want. To get your PIM data over, go into Windows Explorer. Go to c:\program files\palm (note: depending on the version, it may be "palmone" or something else, depending on what devices you've had & used before). You'll find some directories based on your HotSync profile name--for instance, "John Doe" becomes "doej"--copy the PIM subfolders in the old profile's folder to their counterparts in the new one. However, leave the Backup and Archive folders--these are where 3rd party apps, and often their data, are stored.

For 3rd party apps, your best bet is to load a fresh copy of the latest version of them. Do go into the old profile's Backup folder for data files and load those manually.

Yes, it's a bit involved; it's definitely better than crashes and headaches, though.