Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    okay - got my new 755 up and running

really excited!

but - i read hear recently that java makes these things unstable

and, i really like gmail's little app!

so i'm asking the community - do you recommend installing jvm?
    For Gmail yes...as long as you have the right settings, it works well.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Do I recommend it? No, I do not. If you want the Palm OS prc, PM me with your email address.

Ben
    Despite my dislike for Java and gang, I must say Treo + Java + Gmail works well, is stable, is reliable and is free. Another advantage is that you get full Gmail functionality (labels, archival and other Gmail specific stuff) Only drawback of this arrangement is that one cannot get incoming email notifications, even if Gmail is active. I'd definitely (gulp!) recommend it.

If only this were a PalmOS-native application!!!

But your question was about JVM. You shouldn't install the entire contents of the zip file. You need only two or three files to get everything working that you need to hotsync (copy won't work). This is all explained in the IBM Java documentation.

There is also another file that should be available in the forums (jsecpol or something like that) to get rid of the irritating confirmation pop-up while firing-up Gmail.

Last edited by GreenHex; 02/20/2008 at 03:41 AM.
    If you can get Java going and working well, it sounds like the gmail app is cool. I prefer getting gmail on chatteremail, at least I get notification and chatter is very stable. I only used the java install to try out Opera Mini, which I sooo wanted to work, but alas, it constantly crashed.

Good luck.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Where's the love for java? I know it's not as good as a native app but I use HourlyXcast, Tv2nite and Opera with no problems on my 700p.
  7.    #7  
    whoa!

it looks like you can't download the jvm from palm anymore!

huh??
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone View Post
    whoa!

it looks like you can't download the jvm from palm anymore!

huh??
    Not since like Jan 12, 2008; they no longer own the license to distribute it. some posters here have the files they can email you.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    I don't like having JVM installed anyways. If you can get away with using Chatteremail or VM with gmail imap, I would use that instead.

I don't believe the JVM gmail app has any pull or push settings (other than starting it and checking manually), unless the Palm one is different than the WM one.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I don't like having JVM installed anyways. If you can get away with using Chatteremail or VM with gmail imap, I would use that instead.

I don't believe the JVM gmail app has any pull or push settings (other than starting it and checking manually), unless the Palm one is different than the WM one.
    no push or pull, just a mirror of all of your folders
    I just us the html veb based version of gmail. Works well and gives access to everything.
    Laissez Faire
    I use Sprint Mobile Email (obviously not gonna work if you aren't with Sprint) for Gmail and hotmail.
  13.    #13  
    can you have both SME *and* the biz connect software running at the same time??

cuz i really like biz conn too and was gonna give that a try too
    Don't see any reason why they would conflict. I don't use bizcon though.

SME uses sms to fake "push" email to your phone without maintaining a data connection. Or you can set it to pull in intervals or manually.
    Java used to be unstable for me but since I updated to the latest 5.7.2 it's very stable with Opera and a few other apps. Highly recommend it.

Latest version here:
    http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.palmone.com/JVM.zip
  16.    #16  
    yeah! great! thx!

i'll do that!
  17.    #17  
    the sprint mobile email (tried it today) looks a HELLUVA lot like the "upgraded" Sprint Biz Conn PE on my 650

ugh!

i *hate* that interface!

someone posted (and i downloaded) the "old" version of the BizConn and i was gonna install that one

i'm *sure* if you put both on, they'll conflict - i don't want to try it!

the sprint mobile email doesn't work for me cuz it grabs ALL the email off gmail - no good!

i have folders set up (tags) that filter and sort everything i get - that's teh way i like it

but SME just grabbed ALL of it and smashed it into one big inbox

NOT helpful to me!!

so... i'm going to try this new JVM and the gmail app
  18.    #18  
    oh but

!!

before i do - i remember SOMEwhere saying you don't need to install "all" of the files in the java app - ???

anyone know what that was all about??
    There are a lot of install instructions around that tell you the 2 prc's you need in the JVM folder.
    A quick note: I have been sending Java to lots of people. The 5.7.2 release is 11mb and it appears as though some sites, including GMail, do not allow file attachments of that size - lots of kick outs. I am now sending it out in 3 files, with the 1st file at 2.58 mb, 2nd file at 9 mb and the 3rd file at 50.6kb. If you only want Java and its documentation, not the tools and other stuff, then that file is 2.58mb in size and is the first file and again weighs in at 2.58mb.
    Ben
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast