Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the best media player? I have looked into Kinoma Player 4 Ex and Coreplayer Mobile. I also have TCPMP on my 755 now. I understand Coreplayer is a souped up version of TCPMP. I would like to get more out of a media player and was wondering which way to go.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Kinoma 4 EX is pretty highly regarded.
    Kinoma...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I use Kinoma for most media, and TCPMP for avi's.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    When you tak about media (pics, videos, music) the best all purpose is mocean IMO.
    I use Kinoma 4EX and TCPMP for avi's as well. Can't beat Kinoma, I too love their great online Media Guide.
    Last edited by dollface; 02/20/2008 at 09:26 AM.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    I use TCPMP for all video podcasts and the DVDs I've converted/encoded. I've heard great things about Kinoma, but for now I don't need it. I think once/if I start wanting to watch more vids online I would take a harder look at Kinoma. The version embedded in my device works fine for m.youtube and that's enough for me.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I use all 3 players, to be honest. CorePlayer for encoded DVDs and downloaded video files that are stored locally on my SDHC card. I then use PTunes for streaming audio/radio stations and the mp3s stored on the same card. Finally, I like Kinoma for its superb program guide and all-around prowess. I'm also a paid MobiTV subscriber, as it has a lot of top-tier content and IMO the best picture quality of any streaming video solution for the Palm platform (vs. Kinoma's video streams & Sprint TV service)

For the user on a budget, just stick with the TCPMP and the bundled PTunes. And if you can only fork over $ for one app, make it Kinoma. The cost difference between the free TCPMP and the pricey CorePlayer as well as the free bundled PTunes and PTunes Deluxe are not worth it unless you are a real media buff, IMO.

P.S. I lay the blame squarely at the feet of Palm for the lack of compelling reasons to use the Treo as a media device. We can thank the beancounters at Palm for square screens that are becoming increasingly smaller, no 320x480 Treo, no official support for >4gb storage cards, and the incredibly foolish refusal to include a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack (let's not even get into
    A2DP) on ANY Treo or Centro are make Palm look like a has-been still rooted in 1999.
    Did Kinoma ever get the ability to play content in the background? That was always my reason for sticking with pocket tunes. Kinoma is great if you don't multitask, but the fact that any interruption (email, sms) kills the kinoma playback makes it pretty unusable for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by senjiro View Post
    Did Kinoma ever get the ability to play content in the background? That was always my reason for sticking with pocket tunes. Kinoma is great if you don't multitask, but the fact that any interruption (email, sms) kills the kinoma playback makes it pretty unusable for me.
    No, it still doesn't play in the background. I use PTunes Deluxe for that and pretty much use TCPMP exclusively for video.

Edit: I wasn't paying attention, I thought you were asking about TCPMP running in the background. Sorry for any confusion, as I don't know about Kinoma's capabilities in that regard.
    As far as my experiences with Kinoma 4EX, you can not use it in the background. when you press the Launcher button it shuts down Kinoma.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    As far as my experiences with Kinoma 4EX, you can not use it in the background. when you press the Launcher button it shuts down Kinoma.
    I just don't understand that about Kinoma, and I don't understand love for it. If you have a smartphone, doesn't that imply some level of heavy-usage? Do you only get email once a month? I tried Kinoma time and again on my commutes and whether streaming podcasts, or listening to music I just got enraged that anytime I tried to keep up with life, Kinoma shut down.

Love to hear from some Kinoma users and how they deal with this limitation?
    I just don't understand that about Kinoma, and I don't understand love for it. If you have a smartphone, doesn't that imply some level of heavy-usage? Do you only get email once a month? I tried Kinoma time and again on my commutes and whether streaming podcasts, or listening to music I just got enraged that anytime I tried to keep up with life, Kinoma shut down.

Love to hear from some Kinoma users and how they deal with this limitation?
    well I for one use Kinoma mainly for video and their media guide which has lots of streaming video and webcams, etc. It streams flash which nothing else does. for background music, podcast and internet radio, I use Pocket Tunes 4, which does have excellent background properties.
    It really depends on what kind of media you want to play. There is no one player for Palm that's the best at everything.

Best player for audio (MP3 or streaming) - PocketTunes.
    Best player for video (especially stremaing i.e. YouTube) - Kinoma
    Best free player - TCPMP
    Best Midi player - MPlayer
    Best free midi player - Timidity (ok, it's probably the only free midi player for PalmOS)
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Senjiro,

I just don't understand that about Kinoma, and I don't understand love for it.
    In short, Palm OS is a DOS-like OS with a pretty face. It doesn't support multi-tasking in any sense, and so simulating features like "background playback" requires the kind of deep, invasive hacks that hurts the overall reliability of Palm OS devices.

Said in another way, Palm OS's reputation as a fragile, crashy OS is generally the fault of poorly-written 3rd-party software rather than the OS itself. Kinoma strives to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

As I write here...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles
    ...the best Palm OS software (like Kinoma Player) makes your phone’s overall reliability a priority. It follows all Palm OS software best-practices, making it very unlikely that it could ever cause problems -- like crashes and unexplained slowdowns -- with your phone as a whole.
    And of course we're looking forward to the next Palm OS as much as anybody. A modern OS changes everything.

As for people's love of the product, we hope it's because Kinoma Player is high-quality software that brings people joy, and because we do our best to back that up with the best customer support that you're likely to experience anywhere.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    It really depends on what kind of media you want to play. There is no one player for Palm that's the best at everything.

Best player for audio (MP3 or streaming) - PocketTunes.
    Best player for video (especially stremaing i.e. YouTube) - Kinoma
    Best free player - TCPMP
    Best Midi player - MPlayer
    Best free midi player - Timidity (ok, it's probably the only free midi player for PalmOS)
    Nice summary - is there a way to tell Blazer or Opera to open a stream via PocketTunes instead of Kinoma? I have been copying the link then manually opening it in PT, which is kinda hobo.
    Nice summary - is there a way to tell Blazer or Opera to open a stream via PocketTunes instead of Kinoma? I have been copying the link then manually opening it in PT, which is kinda hobo.
    on Blazer any streaming music automatically opens in Pocket Tunes, on my phone. I also own Pocket Tunes 4 Pro, so this may be different than yours. but go to to options in Pocket tunes and click on External Media Preferences and check all the AUDIO formats you want PT to be the default for. that is all.
  18.    #18  
    Thank you everyone for responses to my question. This forum is great for idea exchange. I also use Pocket Tunes (deluxe so I can play my wma files) for music and TCPMP for videos. I am looking for something for streaming and content.

I am wondering why there is no trial period for Kinoma similar to other product offerings. Perhaps the Kinoma representative (Charles Wiltgen) could comment on that. I purchased many products after trying them because they did what they said they would do. If the product is truly worth the investment, a trial period would not hurt sales.

Thanks again Palm community.
    Quote Originally Posted by compo View Post
    I am wondering why there is no trial period for Kinoma similar to other product offerings.
    Kinoma Player includes lots of technologies that use IP (intellectual property) that Kinoma has to license. Unfortunately, most of those technologies don't have a provision that would allow us to use their IP on a trial basis.

In other words: Kinoma would have to pay a non-trivial chunk of change for every trial copy that was downloaded, and that would get prohibitively expensive pretty quickly.

However, along with being an great value for the money (Google for "kinoma secret discount" for an exceptionally-good deal), we like to make sure our customers are happy. If you've used Kinoma Player for a week and it's not working as promised, just let us know and we'll take care of you.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I think Kinoma is really cool. This is the one program that I show people that makes them say WOW about the Centro.

I used to download podcast and then copy them over to my iPod or other mp3 player to listen to them. This isn't a hard process, just tedious.

With Kinoma, I can now stream them directly...plus Kinoma remembers where I stopped listening so I can start up again later. ( I wish Kinoma would would work with Audible.com so I could stream my books...hmm...I bet I could do this somehow with my Linux server...)

Now I can easily listen to all my favorite podcast while I am in my car and while shopping/doing errands and other tedious stuff. You can also listen to a bunch of radio stations.
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast