1.    #1  
    I am a current 700p owner and am looking at getting the AT&T Centro. I was wondering exactly how much of a difference I should expect in the data. I don't do an astronomical amount of mobile browsing, but would prefer not to go back to what I had with my 600.

Can someone who knows a bit about this, and/or has experienced both describe the difference between the two services in terms those of us not in the know can relate to; I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

Gargoyle
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    It'll be in between what you had on the 600 and what you've had on the 700p. (I also saw a small boost just going from a 650 to a 680; my hunch, though I don't have anything definite to base it on yet, is that the Centro will have comparable speed to the 680.)

So, coming from a 700p, you may see some pages that take longer than you'd like/expect to load;

Your best bet is to find an AT&T store/dealer with a live demo unit. Even if it doesn't have a SIM card, ask a store rep to put one in for you to test the data speed firsthand. (When I worked at a local dealer, I would pull the SIM out of my Treo and put it in other phones if someone wanted to test data on them.)
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    For more detail on speeds, this was in Dieter's review of the GSM Centro:

A good rule of thumb for EDGE is that it's slightly faster than a basic dial-up connection, but will often feel slower than you'd like it to be. One of the happy side-effects of the iPhone's splash is that AT&T has worked very hard to beef up their EDGE network, so connections these days tend to be faster and more reliable than they were even a year ago.
    Dude, don't waste your time. Just get the Sprint Centro since you're already with Sprint. EVDO is ages faster than Edge.
    And if you already have Sprint, why are you considering getting the ATT Centro versus the Sprint Centro? They're the same device across both networks
    Sprint's much faster EVDO is $15/month and ATT's is double, if i'm not mistaken and speed is less???
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    IMHO, EDGE is noticeably slower than EVDO. In my non-scientific calculations it feels like it's half or 1/3rd the speed of EVDO.
    Get a Sprint Sero plan while you're at it.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Speedwise, yes, Sprint is ahead in this instance. However, in many areas, AT&T has much more coverage. It's the same argument as 3G vs. WiFi hotspots, from my perspective at least.

And he said he had a 700p--he never said it was on Sprint.
    from http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/004847.html

...The main finding of the test is that EDGE really is a relatively slow wireless network in terms of bandwidth. The 5805 iPhone users who took the speed test were getting an average download speed of 109 kilobits per second (Kbps) on the EDGE network. EV-DO wireless networks consistantly deliver between 400 Kbps to 700 Kbps download speeds, with bursts up to 2 megabits per second (Mbps). Your broadband connection at home is likely to be in the 1 Mbps range, or about 10 times the speed of EDGE. AT&T's more advanced 3G wireless network is also capable of delivering download speeds of around 1 Mbps...

My notes to think about :
    - AT&T uses EDGE, Sprint is using EV-DO
    - EDGE (type 1 MS) max speed is 236.8 kbit/s
    - 1xEV-DO Rev. 0 max speed is 2457/153 kbit/s
    - You have to have a good signal to get maxium speeds. The weaker the signal, the slower the download.
    - Unlimited Data/text messages on AT&T are expensive when you compare it to a $30/mth unlimited data Sprint Account.
    - EDGE has a lot more coverage than EV-DO
    Last edited by franko353; 02/19/2008 at 10:09 PM.
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    from http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/004847.html

...The main finding of the test is that EDGE really is a relatively slow wireless network in terms of bandwidth. The 5805 iPhone users who took the speed test were getting an average download speed of 109 kilobits per second (Kbps) on the EDGE network. EV-DO wireless networks consistantly deliver between 400 Kbps to 700 Kbps download speeds, with bursts up to 2 megabits per second (Mbps). Your broadband connection at home is likely to be in the 1 Mbps range, or about 10 times the speed of EDGE. AT&T's more advanced 3G wireless network is also capable of delivering download speeds of around 1 Mbps...

My notes to think about :
    - AT&T uses EDGE, Sprint is using EV-DO
    - EDGE (type 1 MS) max speed is 236.8 kbit/s
    - 1xEV-DO Rev. 0 max speed is 2457/153 kbit/s
    - You have to have a good signal to get maxium speeds. The weaker the signal, the slower the download.
    - Unlimited Data/text messages on AT&T is expensive when you compare it to a $30/mnt unlimited data Sprint Account.
    - EDGE has a lot more coverage than EV-DO
    Sprint's unlimited data is $15 + $10 for unlimited texts = $25
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Now, I'd really be curious to see if any of the much-hybed EDGE improvements/tweaks AT&T made to their network shortly before the iPhone launch (and in the subsequent year) have paid off in any tangible sense?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Sprint's unlimited data is $15 + $10 for unlimited texts = $25
    He may have been referring to Sprint's SERO plan which is $30/month for 500 minutes, unlimited data, and unlimited texts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    He may have been referring to Sprint's SERO plan which is $30/month for 500 minutes, unlimited data, and unlimited texts.
    Yes, I was talking about the $30/mth SERO plan:
    - 500 min (7AM-7PM, M-F)
    - Unlimited Sprint Vision or Power Vision (i.e. DATA for Internet/email/Internet Radio/...)
    - Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
    - Unlimited Sprint Picture Mail
    - Unlimited Roaming
    - Unlimited Text
    - Unlimited Nights & Weekends (Starts @ 7PM).
    - Nationwide Long Distance
    - Voice Mail
    - Caller ID
    - Call Waiting
    - Numeric Paging
    - Three-Way Calling

See http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...680568&start=0
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    The AT&T 3G network uses HSDPA/UMTS technology which is more comparable to EVDO. There is no comparing EDGE which is more like 2.75G to EVDO being 3G. Markets for HSDPA seem to be limited resulting in coverage aroung metropolitan areas. Since I have been with AT&T, I have noticed the difference in speed big time...EDGE sometimes seems half the speed and that is comparing to a Treo 700p with Blazer. I have experience HSDPA and it is a better comparison to EVDO.
    at&t iPhone3G