Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1548-1.htm

Note, for folks who know the PalmOS backwards and forwards, here are your bullet points:

- Camera is better than the 680
    - The rest is identical to the 680
    - Form factor is still awesome
    - There's a tiny tiny ridge that keeps the speaker from lying flush on the desk.
    Nice review; thanks for keeping that reviewer bar high
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    You know, to read that review, it seems like the Centro is the PERFECT smartphone. You say that Versamail is dated like the POS, but then go on to say how great it is. How great the favorites are, the threaded messaging, etc. Great review Deiter. If all the people that were looking for a new smartphone could read it, Palm would be number 1 again.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Great Review. I am a long time Palm user and this review gave a lot of insite to the new GSM Centro. I'm glad Palm is listening. The speaker change is a good body change. I hope they listen to, "not everyone wants a phone with green number keys". The white is great, but need a different key pad. I'm waiting for the black one next month. Do you have any leaked pictures of that phone. I'd be interested if any changes from the unlocked black model. I'm still happy with my Treo 680 until the black model comes out.
    Excellent review Dieter! Reading it made me want a Centro even more. I'm going to wait for the Black one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    Excellent review Dieter! Reading it made me want a Centro even more. I'm going to wait for the Black one though.
    Just ordered one unit from Expansys HK. The price is up US$20 compare to the 1st time I saw the offer. Received the order confirmation and said the stock will be available in 3 days...

http://www.expansys.com.hk/p.aspx?i=162933
    Please continue with Centro Intro. It is very helpful for us first time smartphone/pos users. Can I request articles about email, instant messaging.

had
    OK, one error. Unless the ATT version is different, the LED light is only for battery indication NOT Vmail, Appointments, etc. unless you find a 3rd party application to make it usable (there are a few). The point is, it doesn't do it out of the box (regardless of what the manual says)
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Just ordered one unit from Expansys HK. The price is up US$20 compare to the 1st time I saw the offer. Received the order confirmation and said the stock will be available in 3 days...

http://www.expansys.com.hk/p.aspx?i=162933
    Out of curiosity, gfong--where are you, geographically speaking? I looked today on Expansys' US page and they're asking $474.95 for a GSM Centro!

http://www.expansys-usa.com/pf.aspx?i=163874

1) I'd want to be sure I could get the order through at the lower price, 2) I want warranty coverage in the States, and 3) I want black rather than white. No green keys for me! (Funny how the US page says it's in white, has a picture of a black one, and then says available colors are "onyx, ruby and pink"... just like the HK page did before--now there's no color info listed whatsoever on the HK page!)

Also, did it say for your order which color you were getting?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    OK, one error. Unless the ATT version is different, the LED light is only for battery indication NOT Vmail, Appointments, etc. unless you find a 3rd party application to make it usable (there are a few). The point is, it doesn't do it out of the box (regardless of what the manual says)
    Ah, shoot - must have been a butler thing I installed and forgot about. will update the review in just a bit. thanks!
  11. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    The one thing I like better about the 680 is the keyboard size and shape. Still, I'm thinking the smaller device size makes it worth switching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Out of curiosity, gfong--where are you, geographically speaking? I looked today on Expansys' US page and they're asking $474.95 for a GSM Centro!

http://www.expansys-usa.com/pf.aspx?i=163874

1) I'd want to be sure I could get the order through at the lower price, 2) I want warranty coverage in the States, and 3) I want black rather than white. No green keys for me! (Funny how the US page says it's in white, has a picture of a black one, and then says available colors are "onyx, ruby and pink"... just like the HK page did before--now there's no color info listed whatsoever on the HK page!)

Also, did it say for your order which color you were getting?

I am working in HK. I have talked to the sales rep of ExpanSys HK. She said she has reported to their Head Office (I believe it is in UK.) about the incorrect information published in the website. She told me the unit is Black Color, no other color is available at this moment. It is GSM not CDMA. One interesting thing she told me was almost 50% of calls during the last two days were checking the Centro but she refused to tell me how many orders have been placed.

I am not sure whether you are able to place order in HK website but I will check with them. Also I will ask about the warrenty.
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    One interesting thing she told me was almost 50% of calls during the last two days were checking the Centro but she refused to tell me how many orders have been placed.
    Wow...

I am not sure whether you are able to place order in HK website but I will check with them. Also I will ask about the warrenty.
    Thanks! Also, the availability said 2/29 before; now it says 7 days for HK customers. (I know, add a few days more for the international shipping.)

I did look before--the HK site definitely includes an option for shipping to the US. Whether there are other factors to consider, though, I was not sure.
    Last edited by Q; 02/19/2008 at 01:26 PM.
    Of the folks that I shown the Centro, all were non-smartphone people, and most were impressed once they could find the stylus silo. Many of them found it surprising that a touchscreen smartphone could be had so cheaply, and a few more were just in general awestruckness when playing with it.

Its not for most hard core Treo users; but it does work for a slew of other folks. Like I said in my Sprint Centro review, its exactly what the 680 should have been.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    You know, to read that review, it seems like the Centro is the PERFECT smartphone. You say that Versamail is dated like the POS, but then go on to say how great it is. How great the favorites are, the threaded messaging, etc.
    I was just feeling like I have been spending a *lot* of time picking nits at the PalmOS lately. After using the Centro for a week, I remembered that I like it.
    One quick note about the microSD card - the max the Centro can read is 4 gigs - more than that and it will do anything from just see the first 2 gigs to actually erasing data off the card..
    Hmmm...bunch of us are using 6gb cards, including myself, with no issues.

Granted, using CardInfo, the reported numbers are wonky but I have about 4.8GB of music and photos on my card with no issues.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Hmmm...bunch of us are using 6gb cards, including myself, with no issues.

Granted, using CardInfo, the reported numbers are wonky but I have about 4.8GB of music and photos on my card with no issues.
    Dunno. I had the Centro go wacky on me with both 6 and 8 gig cards. Definitely don't trust a 6 gig card without user reports of that specific brand working.
    Buy the cheapest SDHC card and you'll have no problems >4GB in my experience.
    I have a CDMA Centro and am gonna move to ATT because I prefer GSM.

My favorite aspect of the Centro is the fact that it is so light that you don't notice it in your pocket. It's the first Treo I have had where I walk out of the house and I find myself wondering did I remember to bring it. I have to pat my pockets to see if it's there. That factor, to me, is the key to smartphone portability. There is no way you would forget an iPhone was in your pocket. I guess a Pearl would feel this way too but I can't stand the RIM OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Dunno. I had the Centro go wacky on me with both 6 and 8 gig cards. Definitely don't trust a 6 gig card without user reports of that specific brand working.
    Yeah, it might be hit or miss with some brands--then there is that whole "class" thing.

I and a few others have been using the Sandisk 6g SDHC (same one the store sells)--formatted on the PC in FAT32 first, as they won't format on the device properly.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast