1.    #1  
    I'm an ATT customer, and now that they are offering the Centro, I'm thinking of picking one up to try out. I'm pretty much happy with my 680 right now, but like the size of the Centro.
    Anyone out there go from a 680 to a Centro?
    Other than the screen being smaller. ( a downfall for me). What is your opinion of it? Better than the 680? or a lateral move?
    Any opinions welcome. I'm just trying to validate a good reason to go get one!!! LOL
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ILBandit View Post
    I'm an ATT customer, and now that they are offering the Centro, I'm thinking of picking one up to try out. I'm pretty much happy with my 680 right now, but like the size of the Centro.
    Anyone out there go from a 680 to a Centro?
    Other than the screen being smaller. ( a downfall for me). What is your opinion of it? Better than the 680? or a lateral move?
    Any opinions welcome. I'm just trying to validate a good reason to go get one!!! LOL
    I have a 680 myself, and I'm planning to get one (once I see a US price on an unlocked GSM Centro). The smaller screen doesn't really affect me so far as I can tell--and I have played with a Sprint Centro. The smaller device size, though, is a big plus and my main reason for going forward. Also, the greater stability is key... and the higher-res camera makes it into the plus column too.

The main two negatives that I can point to are the smaller keyboard (plus the different feel) and switching to MicroSD. 3G would be nice; since I'm not expecting it until devices running either ALP or Palm OS II are out, it's not an issue.
  3.    #3  
    I agree with the camera thought. A bettter camera is a major plus for me. The one on the 680 sucks. I would like to see some sample / comparison pictures between the 2 of them.
    The small screen probably wouldn't be that big of a deal to me, if it is as sharp, and clear as some say it is.
    I'm eligible for the "ugrade" pricing in about 1 month, so I'm just sitting back, taking in everyone elses comments on it, to help me decide on whether I "need" one or not.
    Heck, if it's only $99, I'll probably just get one anyways, and keep it as a spare, but I'm still looking around at some of the other new phones out on the horizon. It looks like there will be some pretty cool phones to choose from over the next year or so.
    Yep, It is a upgrade. I went from a 680 to a Centro.
    More stable, better battery life, size, camera, did I say stable? And that screen looks soooooooooo clear and crisp
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Yep, It is a upgrade. I went from a 680 to a Centro.
    More stable, better battery life, size, camera, did I say stable? And that screen looks soooooooooo clear and crisp
    Hi Smileyboy!

I'm too in the process of upgrading from a Treo 680 to a GSM unlocked Centro (ordered at Palm Store in Italy, still waiting for a delivery date...): can you tell us how much better is the battery life compared to the 680?

Do you think the smaller screen can be a trouble for reading long e-books?

Thanks in advance & Ciao!

Sergio
    The 680 seemed to have massive battery drain with the off. The Centro dosent seem to d this. Even with Bluetooth on, I don't notice a problem. I can make it through a 10-12 day without charging.
    To me that is having Chatter check email every 15 min, 10-15 phone calls no more than 5-7 min each. 10-15 min of internet usage and Ptunes for 2-3 hours.

Never tried reading a ebook on a phone ( I listen to them through Audible). The screen is very sharp and clear So if reading ebooks is what you like. I think it will be just fine.
    I have the ATT Centro in my hands, used to own the 680, its an upgrade. Buttons will take a bit to get used to though.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    In my opinion it's entirey a toss-up and depends on your age, visual accuity, how "mobile" you are etc etc. The Centro has more technical & under the hood "tidbits" going for it but the small screen, keyboard, memory card format and battery capacity really take it out of contention for me.

Centro Pros:

1. NVFS/hardware optimizations. Less lag, more stable etc (this is a biggie in my book) than any current Garnet-based Treo.

2. Louder speakerphone/earpiece volume

3. Slightly newer/tweaked OS & updated bundled apps over all other Garnet Treos. DTG 10 and PTunes Deluxe are definitely worthwhile upgrades! The slightly updated new version of Blazer is only available on the Centro at the moment and the new VersaMail 4.0 is sloooow but its background e-mail sending/receiving are welcome improvements.

4. Of all of the current crop of Garnet devices, the Centro is the most likely to see an official fix from Palm for the Google Mobile Maps Location services as it is the newst and the most consumer-oriented.

5. Brighter/whiter LCD

6. ~66mb of available memory out of the box, vs. the ~62mb on the 680. Centro does apparently have smaller DBheap/cache sizes, however

7. Smaller overall size & more pocketable than the 6xx/7xx Treos.

8. 1.3mp camera on the Centro vs. the 680's VGA camera. This is a feature that is unimpotrant to me but could be an issue for other users.

Centro Cons:
    1. Small keyboard without the standard "smile" shape. This is a huge drawback for me.

2. Smaller LCD than any other Treo. This would be the deal-breaker in my book.

3. Battery capacity maxes out at 1150mAh and the prospects of a larger Seidio OEM-sized battery are not too high at the moment. 680 has a 1400mAh Seidio battery available now. This is a another huge drawback for me.

4. microSD (max of 8gb unofficially) vs. fullsize SDHC (max of 16gb unofficially at the moment, with 32gb to be available soon) on the 680 and 700x series. microSD slot is also much harder to access and is less compatible, more fragile, and easily misplaced.

5. Far fewer aftermarket accessories currently available than with the 680. And some accessories don't work (Treo cradle kit) or are awkward.

6. A few programs have not been updated to officially support the Centro (TomTom Navigator 6) and there may be occasional software incompatibilities. But that's always the case with OS 5.x Palm software!

7.As bad as the 680's metal/plastic hybrid stylus is, the Centro's plastic toothpick is even worse. While most of us will do things one-handed, it's still reassuring to have a nice stylus in your hand for extended tapping or game playing.

Overall, I'd say that it's a toss-up. For "phone" users who care about small size, aesthetics, speakerphone volume and speed/stability, the Centro is the way to go. For heavy-duty "data' users, e-mailers or people wanting to try to do serious work (I use the term loosely) the larger screen, keyboard, expansion card, and potential battery capacity of the 680 make it a much less hip but more logical choice from a "PDA" standpoint.
    Last edited by hkklife; 02/19/2008 at 07:15 PM.
    does the centro have an infared data port? i was looking on palm's site and i'm not seeing one on there.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babydol View Post
    does the centro have an infared data port? i was looking on palm's site and i'm not seeing one on there.
    I didn't notice it when I held it last weekend, but I remembered reading about it in Dieter's review (posted this morning):

...On the right side is an infrared port -- not many people use this port anymore but it's there if you want to beam your contact information or share a program with another Centro user...

Hope this helps.
    tim
    I don't own one but talking to a friend on a 680 he thinks the centro is a tennie bopper phone for texting . I big to differ , it seems alot of smartphones have cut the weight and size except for palm. Now palm can compete in this space and it looks like they are doing a good job with the success of the centro. I am personally looking at one on sprint for the wife(me too) .
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    I don't know what happened but at some point I started pressing each key straight down rather than at an angle for better accuracy. I think that's part of getting used to the smaller keyboard or part of the learning curve. I just started noticing how I was able to type faster and with fewer errors all of a sudden. I never texted before.
    When the centro first came out I thought this isn't an upgrade for me I am sticking with my 700p. Then I held one and fiddled around with the centro. I had to have one.
    Stability, battery life, camera, speed, and size or yes did I say size. The size was the big kicker. I have been wanted a smaller treo for years. The centro is just about the same size as the pearl, but it has a full keyboard. Now when I put the centro by an 700p I can't believe I was using that brick for those years.
    Centro Cons:
    1. Small keyboard without the standard "smile" shape. This is a huge drawback for me.

After a few uses I actually like the keyboard better than the 700p's keyboard. The keys are soft and gummy.

Smaller but only slightly and that means tighter pixels for a clearer screen.

3. Battery capacity maxes out at 1150mAh and the prospects of a larger Seidio OEM-sized battery are not too high at the moment. 680 has a 1400mAh Seidio battery available now. This is a another huge drawback for me.

Palm must of done something to the battery or the centro's os. Because the battery lasts me the same as my old 700p's battery did. I usually have about 30% left coming home after work with both phones.

4. microSD (max of 8gb unofficially) vs. fullsize SDHC (max of 16gb unofficially at the moment, with 32gb to be available soon) on the 680 and 700x series. microSD slot is also much harder to access and is less compatible, more fragile, and easily misplaced.

Correct I would love to have a 32gb sd card. The size is great. In the 700 my card was always coming loose. The centro has a small door that protects the card and makes the centro look so much better because there is no visible card.

5. Far fewer aftermarket accessories currently available than with the 680. And some accessories don't work (Treo cradle kit) or are awkward.

True but give it time. I am finally seeing the batteries, cradles, cases, etc.

6. A few programs have not been updated to officially support the Centro (TomTom Navigator 6) and there may be occasional software incompatibilities. But that's always the case with OS 5.x Palm software!

Give it time.

7.As bad as the 680's metal/plastic hybrid stylus is, the Centro's plastic toothpick is even worse. While most of us will do things one-handed, it's still reassuring to have a nice stylus in your hand for extended tapping or game playing.

Siedo metal pen stylus for $7 is great.

Overall, I'd say that it's a toss-up. For "phone" users who care about small size, aesthetics, speakerphone volume and speed/stability, the Centro is the way to go. For heavy-duty "data' users, e-mailers or people wanting to try to do serious work (I use the term loosely) the larger screen, keyboard, expansion card, and potential battery capacity of the 680 make it a much less hip but more logical choice from a "PDA" standpoint.

I get just as much "serious" work done on my centro as I did with the 700p. And I would consider my self a power user, especially with over 600 apps installed on the centro.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I don't own one but talking to a friend on a 680 he thinks the centro is a tennie bopper phone for texting
    Sprint thought this too, matter of fact, that is the market they were targeting. When I was at the Sprint store a week after the centro came out. The manager said he has not seen one teenager come in for a centro it is all of the older adults trading up for it.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
    Sprint thought this too, matter of fact, that is the market they were targeting. When I was at the Sprint store a week after the centro came out. The manager said he has not seen one teenager come in for a centro it is all of the older adults trading up for it.
    Don't forget:

The ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Shows how much the "experts" know, sometimes.
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    In my opinion it's entirey a toss-up and depends on your age, visual accuity, how "mobile" you are etc etc. The Centro has more technical & under the hood "tidbits" going for it but the small screen, keyboard, memory card format and battery capacity really take it out of contention for me.

Centro Pros:

Centro Cons:

What a great, very helpful review! Thank you, helped me make a decision!
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    Don't forget:

The ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.
    That's a great quote, but let's not forget that the amateur was given dang good instructions by an expert at making things, so the story goes!
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

Centro Pros:

Centro Cons:

Many would put 1. & 2. in the pros section due to the smaller device size, and user opinion seems to suggest that the Centro battery life is better.
    The 680 actually has a 1200mah battery. and My Centro lasts way longer than my 680 did. I can make it through a day.
    Mac battery with a stock battery cover is 1600mah