Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
       #1  
    Ok, so I'm going in Saturday to get my Centro from ATT. As I look at the data plans, it appears that (unlike most of the other carriers that I have investigated) you either can get the unlimited access PDA Personal plan for $30/month, or no access at all. Is that correct, or am I missing a data plan that allows only a certain amount of activity for a lesser amount?

    Any sharing of your wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
    tim
  2. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    Ok, so I'm going in Saturday to get my Centro from ATT. As I look at the data plans, it appears that (unlike most of the other carriers that I have investigated) you either can get the unlimited access PDA Personal plan for $30/month, or no access at all. Is that correct, or am I missing a data plan that allows only a certain amount of activity for a lesser amount?

    Any sharing of your wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
    Until recently, AT&T has definitely had less expensive plans for (limited) data use. However, their unlimited plan was higher than $30. I haven't seen a full listing of new plans yet; it's possible, though, that cutting unlimited down to $30 didn't leave a cost-effective level for a limited plan.

    The other question you have to ask yourself--how much do you expect to use? Me, I use it often enough (most days that I'm out, multiple times per day) that unlimited is a no-brainer. If you're on a limited plan and you go over, you end up paying through the nose for the additional data, so unless you can be sure of only needing to use it, say, once a week for a limited time, the unlimited plan offers peace of mind.
  3. #3  
    I'm not an expert on the various data plans at AT&T.

    So, you're asking, why chime in?

    Only to point out that I just read someone on HowardForums make this comment:

    Via Howardforums:

    Ē They temporarily lock you into the data plan. The trick is to put a SIM card into a regular phone (like an old Moto V3). Wait about 10-30 minutes, log into your OLAM [Note: This means online account management ó login via wireless.att.com] , the system should recognize your regular phone and when you click on add/manage features, they should let you downgrade to the $15 unlimited media net plan.

    You may have to wait up to a day for the OLAM to update your phones status. I know this trick works because I gave my financee my Motorola Q9 and they would not let me switch her from the PDA plane ($30). However, I put my an old V180 (regular phone) waited a couple of hours and relogged into the OLAM and it had the $15 data plan available.

    Remember, you arenít going to qualify for any rebates if you switch your data plan before they cut your the Visa Check Card rebate. Canít have the best of both worlds! ď



    Have no idea of what limitations (if any) this may bring to the Centro -- FYI and YMMV
  4. #4  
    I currently have an unlimited $20 plan for my 650 on AT&T. I signed up for it using a pre-Treo dumb phone, and they let me keep it with the Treo (but have tried to make me change to a $40 plan a couple of times).

    If I get a Centro, will I be forced to get a new plan?
    Or perhaps keep the old plan but forego the $100 rebate?
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
  5. #5  
    Well I just bought centro but I am still using my AT&T Tilt(from the dark side).Currently I have unlimited data and sms/mms for $40.00 a month. For me, it's a good deal.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
  6. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mutantblack View Post
    Well I just bought centro but I am still using my AT&T Tilt(from the dark side).Currently I have unlimited data and sms/mms for $40.00 a month. For me, it's a good deal.
    Unfortunately, I have 5 phones on my account, so I have the unlimited text package for $30 AND the unlimited data plan (my line only) for another $30. The problem is, other than streaming music, I can't see myself using it for $30 worth each month. Maybe I will find that I was wrong, but as of yet, I don't see it.

    Thanks for replying.
    tim
  7. #7  
    Data plans and TXT messaging are 2 of the things that make me hate cell phones. Well, let me rephrase that, the pricing for Data plans and TXT messaging make me hate cell phones!

    When TXT messaging was first available for me it was 0.03 per message to send/receive. I think they did this because they realized it took up less bandwidth for a txt then a voice call so they encourage you to txt by keeping the price low. Now txt messages are 0.20 per message! In the average month my wife and I txt each other about 30 times. That's $6 per month each so we buy the $5 per month plan to get 300 messages so we save a $1 each.

    Data plans, why do I have to pay another $15 or $20 (or $30) per month to use my phone? Don't even get me started with "Phone as Modem" services. Why can't I just get a plan with 700 minutes and then if I'm on the phone (data, voice, or modem) it uses those minutes I just paid for?

    So I end up spending more now on txt messaging plans, data plans, and phone as modem plans then I used to spend on the entire cell phone bill. And what do I get for all this extra money? The ability to do the exact same thing that I did before! (~ 30 txt messages a month, once or twice a week check the weather on the phone, and occasionally connect up to my laptop and handle a work emergency.)
  8. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhollow View Post
    Data plans and TXT messaging are 2 of the things that make me hate cell phones. Well, let me rephrase that, the pricing for Data plans and TXT messaging make me hate cell phones!

    When TXT messaging was first available for me it was 0.03 per message to send/receive. I think they did this because they realized it took up less bandwidth for a txt then a voice call so they encourage you to txt by keeping the price low. Now txt messages are 0.20 per message! In the average month my wife and I txt each other about 30 times. That's $6 per month each so we buy the $5 per month plan to get 300 messages so we save a $1 each.

    Data plans, why do I have to pay another $15 or $20 (or $30) per month to use my phone? Don't even get me started with "Phone as Modem" services. Why can't I just get a plan with 700 minutes and then if I'm on the phone (data, voice, or modem) it uses those minutes I just paid for?

    So I end up spending more now on txt messaging plans, data plans, and phone as modem plans then I used to spend on the entire cell phone bill. And what do I get for all this extra money? The ability to do the exact same thing that I did before! (~ 30 txt messages a month, once or twice a week check the weather on the phone, and occasionally connect up to my laptop and handle a work emergency.)
    But, look at how we do that for everything! We used to have free TV, but then with cable, we could get twenty or thirty other stations for $20 a month. Now, we convince ourselves that we NEED 200 stations, with 50 movie channels, all the sports, etc., for only $100 a month!!! They are just like heroin-- you get the first sample real cheap, but then once they've got you hooked, POW!
    tim
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    But, look at how we do that for everything! We used to have free TV, but then with cable, we could get twenty or thirty other stations for $20 a month. Now, we convince ourselves that we NEED 200 stations, with 50 movie channels, all the sports, etc., for only $100 a month!!! They are just like heroin-- you get the first sample real cheap, but then once they've got you hooked, POW!
    Yes, the whole time I was ranting I kept thinking, why do they do it, then I realized that I do it to! I'm one of them! I'm paying it even though I think it's rediculous, and if I had to choose between payng the fee or doing without I'd pay the fee. <sigh>
  10. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhollow View Post
    Yes, the whole time I was ranting I kept thinking, why do they do it, then I realized that I do it to! I'm one of them! I'm paying it even though I think it's rediculous, and if I had to choose between payng the fee or doing without I'd pay the fee. <sigh>
    Right, and don't EVEN get me started about my two Sirius Satellite Radios!!!
    tim
  11. #11  
    jhollow, sounds like you need a Sprint Sero plan, $30 for the works.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    But, look at how we do that for everything! We used to have free TV ...
    We still have nearly free, nearly pure drinking water coming out of our faucets in the USA, yet people still spend 50 to 10,000 times more per glass to drink bottled water which is not necessarily more pure, may be tap water, litters the environment with plastic bottles, and does not provide fluoridation against cavities. See, for example, http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/2006/Update51.htm
    Last edited by Jeff DLB; 02/28/2008 at 08:04 PM.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB View Post
    I currently have an unlimited $20 plan for my 650 on AT&T. I signed up for it using a pre-Treo dumb phone, and they let me keep it with the Treo (but have tried to make me change to a $40 plan a couple of times).

    If I get a Centro, will I be forced to get a new plan?
    Or perhaps keep the old plan but forego the $100 rebate?
    I'm in the same boat, grandfathered on the $19.95/mo MediaNet Unlimited plan. The folks at the store reckoned that I would have to upgrade to the $30 plan in order to get the $100 rebate, which I declined since I intend staying on this plan for more than 10 months, after which I would have used up the rebate to pay the higher rate and still be paying an extra $10/mo ad infinitum.

    That said, I plan on submitting the rebate form anyway - with any luck their system will merely check whether the account is on an unlimited data plan, not how much is being paid for it, and if they reject it I'm out the cost of a stamp; no big deal.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins View Post
    I plan on submitting the rebate form anyway [...] if they reject it I'm out the cost of a stamp; no big deal.
    Good plan!
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
  15. #15  
    When I got my Centro tonight I went with the $45 plan. If you're going to run anything that requires straight-IP (like an ssh or irc client) then you need the "business" plan. Regular email just requires the standard $30 plan.
  16. #16  
    I haven't here in a while. Had Cingular 650 when it came out, then SLVR, then BB Pearl and now crappy used phone. I think I'm going to get the Centro but with no Commitment. Tired of going in contract with AT&T. Right now still under contract till 2009.

    So since i'm not going to buy it with contract they can't commit me to any data plan. I hope to just switch the SIM and add on the Unlimited MEdia Plan for regular phones.

    The only thing I hate is that AT&T doesn't have more Text messaging plans. right now I have the 19.99 1500 plan and the regular phone media plan only gives you 200 text messages. I do about 600 a month.
  17. #17  
    Who said AT&T doesn't have text messaging plans? They have 1500 for $15 and unlimited for $20. If you were on a family plan, the cost for unlimited texting is $30 for everybody on the family plan. I have 4 phones and only pay the $30 and everybody texts like crazy, even me!
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

    There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

  18. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by electroman View Post
    Who said AT&T doesn't have text messaging plans? They have 1500 for $15 and unlimited for $20. If you were on a family plan, the cost for unlimited texting is $30 for everybody on the family plan. I have 4 phones and only pay the $30 and everybody texts like crazy, even me!
    Mine, too, with our 5 phones. And the really cool thing is, it includes text, picture, and video messaging that is so simple, an ADULT can do it!!!
    tim
  19. #19  
    Yeah, lets see the iPhone do that! Wait, it can't do that.

    Oh well!
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

    There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by electroman View Post
    Who said AT&T doesn't have text messaging plans? They have 1500 for $15 and unlimited for $20. If you were on a family plan, the cost for unlimited texting is $30 for everybody on the family plan. I have 4 phones and only pay the $30 and everybody texts like crazy, even me!
    I'm sorry i mean more packages. They have the 200 plan, the 1500 plan and unlimited plan. Those packages have no data on them.
    I currently have the Media Works Bundle for 14.99, I don't see it offered anymore so i guess i'm grandfather on it. It gives me 1500 text/picture messages and 5mb of data a month.

    I see that they have a Data plan for $35 but with only 200 text messages, I would need more text if I got the Centro. I'm trying to keep my phone bill below $95. I have a Family plan with two phones. Only I do text, internet etc, the other phone is just for talking.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions