Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Keep the Media Works bundle as long as you can. I never have figured out exactly why they would have such differing rates for data. It's like the new "business plan" for the iPhone. It is far more expensive than the consumer rate and yet the phone does the same thing. I wear my data plan out. Texting just comes as a matter of convienence.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnetty99 View Post
    I'm sorry i mean more packages. They have the 200 plan, the 1500 plan and unlimited plan. Those packages have no data on them.
    I currently have the Media Works Bundle for 14.99, I don't see it offered anymore so i guess i'm grandfather on it. It gives me 1500 text/picture messages and 5mb of data a month.

I see that they have a Data plan for $35 but with only 200 text messages, I would need more text if I got the Centro. I'm trying to keep my phone bill below $95. I have a Family plan with two phones. Only I do text, internet etc, the other phone is just for talking.
    OK, now I understand your dilemma. From what I have read elsewhere, you should be able to keep doing that. I have even read where people have put their sim into an old "regular" phone, waited a little while, gone into their account manager (online), and switched their data plan back to the $15 one. They then put the sim back into the Centro and were good to go. I don't know if that's still possible, but they posted it.

Good luck with this!
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by electroman View Post
    Keep the Media Works bundle as long as you can. I never have figured out exactly why they would have such differing rates for data. It's like the new "business plan" for the iPhone. It is far more expensive than the consumer rate and yet the phone does the same thing. I wear my data plan out. Texting just comes as a matter of convienence.
    I agree to keeping the media works bundle as long as possible. I called in for an unrelated issue and the representative told me that she would have to cancel my meida package plan as it wasn't suppored on my treo 650. I told her that it wasn't broke, why fix it, but that didn't work for me. Instead my bill now reads: PDAPERUNL1500MSG 02/29-03/28 39.99 39.99

And while we're picking apart our bills, what is the deal with Push to Talk?
    Thats a new choice on my Centro, the side button seems to be permanently wired to active it, I can't change it, can't delete it etc and I just know I'm going to accidentally press the button and will consequently have to have a fit with AT&T about its use. Something I don't want that is money making for them.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akaivyleaf View Post
    I agree to keeping the media works bundle as long as possible. I called in for an unrelated issue and the representative told me that she would have to cancel my meida package plan as it wasn't suppored on my treo 650. I told her that it wasn't broke, why fix it, but that didn't work for me. Instead my bill now reads: PDAPERUNL1500MSG 02/29-03/28 39.99 39.99

And while we're picking apart our bills, what is the deal with Push to Talk?
    Thats a new choice on my Centro, the side button seems to be permanently wired to active it, I can't change it, can't delete it etc and I just know I'm going to accidentally press the button and will consequently have to have a fit with AT&T about its use. Something I don't want that is money making for them.
    Go into prefs, down to buttons, at the bottom, change the "press and hold side button" to whatever you want.
    tim
    The phone wont let me reassign it... There is no down pointing arrow next to "Press and hold button" to choose another option. I don't blame AT&T though, they will make money from people who might not dispute the charges.
    Last edited by akaivyleaf; 03/06/2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: expound upon my answer
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    The phone wont let me reassign it... I don't blame AT&T though, they will make money from people who might not dispute the charges.
    There's something wrong, then. I have an ATT Centro and it maps to a new app with no problems.
    tim
    Has PTunes removed its radio feature, in lieu of the Get XM Radio on your phone? At one time you could listen to the radio through PTunes, but that is no longer an option either. (But maybe this is for another thread)
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Has PTunes removed its radio feature, in lieu of the Get XM Radio on your phone? At one time you could listen to the radio through PTunes, but that is no longer an option either. (But maybe this is for another thread)
    Yes, unfortunately, I was the guinea pig in a previous thread who spent all day trying to make it work like it said it would. ATT has a "special" version of PTunes that does not allow internet radio. You need to purchase the full version from normsoft for $30 to make it work. I was directed by another user to try mundu for free. It is very good, especially the price!

Good luck with this.
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    OK, now I understand your dilemma. From what I have read elsewhere, you should be able to keep doing that. I have even read where people have put their sim into an old "regular" phone, waited a little while, gone into their account manager (online), and switched their data plan back to the $15 one. They then put the sim back into the Centro and were good to go. I don't know if that's still possible, but they posted it.

Good luck with this!
    I have an old phone now, very crap Motorola V220. Extra one i had that i took when i sold my bb pearl. the old Unlimited Media Plan for $20 bucks is no longer showing up to be added. I don't know if its because of this phone.
    I'll check the other phone account that has a Morotorla Razr V3xx more updated phone.

Question. if you do that trick where you have an older phone and you get the package you want and then put the SIM on a Centro or other smartphone/pda. Could AT&T system see that you now have something else, take off the regular media plan and switch it to Data plan automatically?

I remember in like in the last two year you could switch phones and online it would not know the difference, now it updates on its own online like you all said within 24 hours.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnetty99 View Post
    I have an old phone now, very crap Motorola V220. Extra one i had that i took when i sold my bb pearl. the old Unlimited Media Plan for $20 bucks is no longer showing up to be added. I don't know if its because of this phone.
    I'll check the other phone account that has a Morotorla Razr V3xx more updated phone.

Question. if you do that trick where you have an older phone and you get the package you want and then put the SIM on a Centro or other smartphone/pda. Could AT&T system see that you now have something else, take off the regular media plan and switch it to Data plan automatically?

I remember in like in the last two year you could switch phones and online it would not know the difference, now it updates on its own online like you all said within 24 hours.
    Not sure at all on this one. I wish I could tell you who said this. If I can find it, I'll post a link for you.
    tim
    Ok last night I renewed my AT&T contracts for mine and my wife's family plan. I really wanted the Palm Centro but I just can't swing the $30/month data plan, so I settled for the LG Vu with the Standard $10/ month data plan w/ unlimited family texting. My wife didn't want the data plan, so she got the Centro but w/o the data plan. She really likes the LG Vu. My question is, can I switch the SIM cards in the two phones, and still receive the MEdia Net access on the Centro? Is this possible, and if so, will AT&T detect what I have done?
    Last edited by tommy2tone_1999; 03/13/2009 at 01:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy2tone_1999 View Post
    Ok last night I renewed my AT&T contracts for mine and my wife's family plan. I really wanted the Palm Centro but I just can't swing the $30/month data plan, so I settled for the LG Vu with the Standard $10/ month data plan w/ unlimited family texting. My wife didn't want the data plan, so she got the Centro but w/o the data plan. She really likes the LG Vu. My question is, can I switch the SIM cards in the two phones, and still receive the MEdia Net access on the Centro? Is this possible, and if so, will AT&T detect what I have done?
    I can't see any way that it would mess up things; if all heck breaks loose, swap them back.

On the other hand, your wife might wreak a little havoc when you try to dispossess her of her Centro!
    tim
    Ok I switched the sims and was able to access the internet using the Vu's sim (my sim - w/ standard data package) in a smart phone (my wife's phone), but how will I be able to tell if I'm being charged per kB for accessing the internet or not?
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Ok I switched the sims and was able to access the internet using the Vu's sim (my sim - w/ standard data package) in a smart phone (my wife's phone), but how will I be able to tell if I'm being charged per kB for accessing the internet or not?
    ... then, get online and check your ATT account to see which data plan they have you signed up for. It should tell you what price you are paying for each.

Hope this helps.
    tim
    The last entry on my ATT bill was March 4, 2009. So I guess I'll have to wait until my bill is updated to today's date.
    Ok let me ask another stupid question. Is there anyway that ATT can tell which phone I am using if I switch the sims. I wouldn't want them to take any unfortunate action against me later.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Ok let me ask another stupid question. Is there anyway that ATT can tell which phone I am using if I switch the sims. I wouldn't want them to take any unfortunate action against me later.
    I wish I could be of more help here; I did do a search, but most of the forum chatter has been about this same question, but with an iPhone, and the different data plan there. By all accounts, it appears that ATT won't change your data plan without sending you a text message that they are doing so. I can't verify if that is true, or not. It is what the other posters are saying.

Right now, I have no data plan, as I teach in a computer lab all day long. It's $30/month that I really don't need to spend. I'll pick it up again during the summer, when I am not inside too much! From what I am hearing, the prices are all in flux because of the tanked economy. Many things that I read say to get ready for a price war. Wouldn't that be great!
    tim
    You can switch SIMs, however do not verify(like calling them or something) to AT&T that you're using a smartphone. They WILL switch you. Say nothing and don't go overboard on data usage and you should be fine. The ones who get caught usually tether or overuse the data.

They do know what phone you're using at the time if they check. I forget what the exact technology is. But they usually don't care about you using whatever phone, unless it's the iPhone(jailbroken ones can get around this, I hear). The problem comes with lots of overuse, then they wonder what's up and may check.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Howdy All,
    Back to Palm, excited! Migrating from an existing iPhone 2G $20/mo data plan to a Centro. Should I just put the iPhone SIM in the Centro and leave the iPhone plan alone, and not call ATT to update the info/phone?
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mkbomb View Post
    Howdy All,
    Back to Palm, excited! Migrating from an existing iPhone 2G $20/mo data plan to a Centro. Should I just put the iPhone SIM in the Centro and leave the iPhone plan alone, and not call ATT to update the info/phone?
    Thanks!
    If your getting enough data for only $20 a month, I wouldn't switch anything until I had to. If ATT taps you on the shoulder and says your plan is changing, deal with it then.

Great Boston, pic, BTW!
    tim
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast