1.    #1  
    I just got out of the nearby AT&T store in MN. They just dropped the 680 price to $100 and they have the Centro for $199 but has a $100 rebate...

The website shows black on white or white on green at the business center...

http://www.wireless.att.com/business...0003j3709u6741
    Treo 180, 300, 600, 650, still regretting the 680, Centro, ...
    Waiting for the next worthy smart-phone while test-driving an iPhone for the last 3 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubso View Post
    I just got out of the nearby AT&T store in MN. They just dropped the 680 price to $100 and they have the Centro for $199 but has a $100 rebate...

The website shows black on white or white on green at the business center...

http://www.wireless.att.com/business...0003j3709u6741

Huh. I just got out of my nearby AT&T store in Cincinnati, Ohio. They told me that the 680 price was STAYING at $199. I asked very specifically, expressing surprise that the newer and more capable Centro at $99 should lower the price of the older less capable 680. The sales person said, no, that the pricing was $99 for Centro and $199 for 680 and that these were the prices for tomorrow's Centro debut. They had one Centro in the store for me to play with, not yet on display, the white one.

I am inclined to imagine that you are right and not my local sales person. I can't imagine how the 680 price point couldn't drop given the spiffier Centro sitting right next to it for $99.

I will also add one more thing. I confirmed that AT&T's policy is that the 2 year service contract which gets you the cheaper price on the Palm is all that has to stay in force for the cheap price. I asked, "can I cancel the data service right away?" She said a definitive yes. However, she added that the rebate only applies to customers with data service. So her advice was to keep the data service until the rebate comes through, then cancel if that's my wish. As long as I keep the 2 year service contract, there is no penalty for canceling data service. Neat, huh?

Sigh, what to get, 680 or Centro? Just can't decide. Don't like small Centro keyboard and its plastic stylus (feels like cheap flimsy plastic chopstick from bad Chinese restaurant too cheap to give even cheap wooden chopsticks, ya know the feeling?) and its total plastic Fisher-Price feel. Screen is crisp making up for slightly smaller size. Don't like idea of having to buy new mini-SD card to replace my regular 2 GB SD card in my 650. Just don't know...

-- Josh
    Last edited by steinbej; 02/25/2008 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    I will also add one more thing. I confirmed that AT&T's policy is that the 2 year service contract which gets you the cheaper price on the Palm is all that has to stay in force for the cheap price. I asked, "can I cancel the data service right away?" She said a definitive yes. However, she added that the rebate only applies to customers with data service. So her advice was to keep the data service until the rebate comes through, then cancel if that's my wish. As long as I keep the 2 year service contract, there is no penalty for canceling data service. Neat, huh?
    -- Josh
    I did the same thing last weekend, Josh, and my rep told me exactly that; keep the data plan until the rebate has been approved.

Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post

Sigh, what to get, 680 or Centro? Just can't decide. Don't like small Centro keyboard and its plastic stylus (feels like cheap flimsy plastic chopstick from bad Chinese restaurant too cheap to give even cheap wooden chopsticks, ya know the feeling?) and its total plastic Fischer-Price feel. Screen is crisp making up for slightly smaller size. Don't like idea of having to buy new mini-SD card to replace my regular 2 GB SD card in my 650. Just don't know...

-- Josh
    As for this, you HAVE to go with the Centro! NO ifs, ands, or buts. Heck, I'll buy you a 3rd party stylus, if you want me to!!!
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    As for this, you HAVE to go with the Centro! NO ifs, ands, or buts. Heck, I'll buy you a 3rd party stylus, if you want me to!!!
    I like the bigger size of the Treo series. I want a Palm PDA on which I can happen to make phone calls, not a typical small plastic cellphone on which I can happen to have a Palm PDA. That said, still don't know.

Most of all, I want a new Palm with connectors that actually work! My Treo 650 has been connection-less for around 2 years now, no audio/phone earpiece jack, no hotsync port, both long broken. Hell, I'm lucky it still charges!
    -- Josh
    It looks like AT&T has put the Centro on their main store site. I looked at the rebate and it looks like to get the rebate, you either need to have a data plan at $45 OR a text messaging plan at $20 more to get it. I have noticed that AT&T has seemed to have eased up a little bit on the features needed for the rebate. Good news for people who want the rebate. Personally, I find rebates to be more trouble than they are worth and I buy all my phones contract free.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    you say the centro has a plasticky feel, but isn't the 680 also a form of plastic? the battery hatch certainly feels that way
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
  7.    #7  
    I have survayed 7 stores so far (2 corporare and 5 authorized dealers) and noticed that the $99 Treo 680 is only at authorized dealers and not the AT&T corporate stores.
    Also noticed that only one authorized dealer had Centro for sale. The other 4 did not even know what a Centro is. One of them could not find it on the 'to-order" list of new phones.
    Treo 180, 300, 600, 650, still regretting the 680, Centro, ...
    Waiting for the next worthy smart-phone while test-driving an iPhone for the last 3 months.