1.    #1  
    Need advice with a problem related to the updater for the TREO 680 GSM. I did the update, worked fine, and everything seemed to be in order. But now, when I am in a cell dead zone, especially in the subway, the phone freezes and the screen goes blank. I have to do a soft reset by taking out the battery. The folks at Palm advised that I do a hard reset, which I did, but that did not help. I have the following third-party programs: CallRec, Gmail, GoogleMaps, Lingvo (dictionary), IBM Java, PdaNet and PiLoc (program that adds Russian language characters).
    Anybody have any thoughts on how to fix this?
    Thanks!
    Yep, similar problem here. Unlocked GSM Treo 680, with 2.12 update (Australian region). Not a problem before, but now the phone freezes for several seconds in a cell dead area. Does come back, but is a real bother & hassle. Maybe yours just freezes for so long that it gives up & goes to sleep.
    Same - since the 2.12 update I've noticed the same problem: going into a area with no reception, and then coming out - the treo doesn't respond, cannot be powered on. After a while( which I presume a network connection is made), the phone is switched on.

Similarly, when I pull my battery out, and plug it back in - the phone doesn't power on straight away. It takes about 10 secs before the screen comes up with the palm logo.
    No problem that I noticed here, and I just traveled this last week and routinely lost signal when traveling through the mountains.
    I don't have that problem. I park my car in underground parking lot where I don't have signal. It just works fine; no freezing. I have Treo680 cust1 rom 1.12.
    3Com PalmPilot Personal > Handspring Visor Deluxe > Palm Tungsten T > PalmOne Tungsten T5 > PalmOne Treo650

Current Device: Palm Treo 680 w/1.12 Cust1 ROM, 4GB SDHC, GlobalSAT GPS Receiver
    yep, I am also experiencing alot more freezes since the update. Mine tend to happen the instant I answer a call. Not sure if it is related to signal strength.
  7. DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    No problem that I noticed here, and I just traveled this last week and routinely lost signal when traveling through the mountains.
    Doesn't mean it doesn't happen for others.
    experienced those freezing but not in dead signal zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    Doesn't mean it doesn't happen for others.
    Thanks, Sparky.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_point

By the way, looking at your posting history, I don't really care about your opinion. All you've ever done is whine, complain, or insult people.
    You are not alone, and this problem is not isolated to GSM phones, nor even the Treo 680.

I have a Treo 700p with Verizon (so CDMA). It has the latest Verizon 1.10 update --the second of the two. My phone has periodic freezes that last up to 60 seconds at a time, especially annoying when trying to send a text message.

These freezes are far more likely to happen in a dead zone, or where cell reception is shaky. It's quite annoying because it affects all of the PDA functions too --e.g., you could be working in your Date Book, go to zero signal strength, and not be able to continue entering in data.

These did not happen when I first updated to 1.10. I think that unless one hard-resets their Treo (after backing up all data of course) every six months or so, they will probably occur, and are likely to become a bit more frequent as time passes. As much as I like the functions my Treo is capable of, I've been sorely disappointed with the 700p and Palm's support of it.
    Last edited by LoneWolf15; 04/02/2008 at 02:35 PM.
  11. DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Thanks, Sparky.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_point

By the way, looking at your posting history, I don't really care about your opinion. All you've ever done is whine, complain, or insult people.
    Hey, I wasn't meaning to be insulting in my post.
    And you continue with your self-righteous ways in many posts.