1.    #1  
    Two issues struck me on my 2nd day of testing this device:

1) It has the same system time lag-problem as (some?) Treo 680 devices. When the device has hung or crashed a couple of times, the system time will be quite some minutes off the current time after you pop out the battery to do a reset. You'll have to adjust the clock manually.

2) When putting the screen on a low brightness level, the screen starts to flicker, as if the current directed to the screen fluctuates. This happens sometimes with screens, especially if you put it to settings it wasn't designed for, with external hacks like Energy Dimmer, but I have the feeling it happens at a not-so-low setting where it shouldn't be happening.

3) I experience some unexplicable lags when I'm just working with the device. It won't respond to buttons for a couple of seconds, after which it will carry out the button presses in quick succession. Usually this happens when the Treo is in Exchange Active Sync mode, trying to keep up doing stuff on the background it isn't for.

Why haven't they fixed these problems, especially the system time lag problem?
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 02/17/2008 at 12:26 PM.
    - FoleoCentral
    Staying where we are.
  2.    #2  
    Also, when no keyguard has been activated, the Centro will turn itself on to notify you of new mail (that's a setting in Versamail) but... it won't turn itself off until the auto-off feature kicks in!

That's a hell of a way to drain your battery.
    - FoleoCentral
    Staying where we are.
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Also, when no keyguard has been activated, the Centro will turn itself on to notify you of new mail (that's a setting in Versamail) but... it won't turn itself off until the auto-off feature kicks in!

That's a hell of a way to drain your battery.
    Ouch... has anyone determined whether that's just in VersaMail? Does it happen in other email apps (Chatter, Snapper)?
    I think there is something wrong, no way would you have a crash and need to remove the battery after using it for two days? That is not average or normal. Same for the lag, which is probably related. Sounds like your issue is connected to an app you installed rather than the Centro. The screen does flicker, I think its a matter of noticing it and has nothing to do with the brightness setting.
    Gazpacho/Q,

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, *$every$* $device$ $functions$ $like$ $this$, $including$ $WM$ $devices$.

The real question here is why are you not wanting to use the key guard? This "issue" is one of the reason you have & keyguard. Anywho, this is not a Versamail/Centro issue but rather just how many of these smartphones function.

There are some workarounds: Chatter, IIRC, has a "keep screen off" function (or I know Butler does for repeat alerts).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    WOW. I've don't about 8 hotsyncs, I have. 43 3rd party apps, Chatteremail included. Screen is on lowest setting. No flickering here. Most stable Palm to date.

I always set my keyguard. There is no reason not to. It saves battery life, so you don't turn your phone on accidently and waste battery life.
    This device is nothing like the 680. no resets, better build and way better battery life.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The real question here is why are you not wanting to use the key guard? This "issue" is one of the reason you have & keyguard. Anywho, this is not a Versamail/Centro issue but rather just how many of these smartphones function.
    I wasn't speaking so much for myself (I normally set the keyguard on 5 seconds, though I wish there were a setting in between 5 and 30, say 15) as for users in general.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    I think there is something wrong, no way would you have a crash and need to remove the battery after using it for two days? That is not average or normal. Same for the lag, which is probably related. Sounds like your issue is connected to an app you installed rather than the Centro. The screen does flicker, I think its a matter of noticing it and has nothing to do with the brightness setting.
    Sorry, I won't buy this.

Take for example the screen flicker, which is just bad quality control on Palm's part. They should have taken care that the minimum brightness setting should have been set higher to avoid flickering of the screen (the T|X for example has a much higher minimum) - this is bad user experience.

Also, Malatesta said that 'all smartphones' pop on when new mail has arrived. Of course this isn't true. Actually he mentions Chatter in the same post and chatter is indeed a program that does not need to wake your Treo and turn on the screen when receiving e-mail. It's a programming choice, not a law of physics.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 02/23/2008 at 12:15 PM.
    - FoleoCentral
    Staying where we are.
    Have you tried hard reset to see whether the 1st and 2nd problem are still persist?