Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    i would like to be able to turn off the ringer/sounds for all functions (texts, calls, etc) except for a few contacts in my phonebook. there are times that i do not want to be bothered but if there was an emergency, i would like to be able to receive calls from a few people that i preselect.

is there an easy way to accomplish this???

thanks!
    You can't turn the ringer off for certain contacts. You will have to use a call blocking application.

There is LightWav and CallBlocker. These will work on a 755. There is also CallShield, this one may not work properly on a 755, since CallShield has not been updated to my knowledge. All are shareware.

For other system sounds, you will need a profile application.

All of the card based ring tone management applications will do this - those that ring have a noisy ring tone and those that do not ring have a ring tone that has no noise. I would also add Ring Care into this as an application to look at. As for CallShield - this application and CallFilter have both dead in the water for a couple of years as far as support. I have both...

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    You can't turn the ringer off for certain contacts. You will have to use a call blocking application.

The OP doesn't want to turn OFF the ringer for certain contacts, he wants to turn it ON for those. Just set the default ringtones (in prefs) to the "no sound" ringer, and then set specific ringtones for the contacts you need to hear.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    i downloaded 'ringcare' and don't think it's what i am after. i think what i want to be able to do is have 'presets'. like preset 1 = such and such ringer for several different contacts, including unknown numbers, etc to have a certain ringer, some NO ringer, etc. then have a preset 2 = ringer OFF for all incoming calls, texts, etc except for a couple of the contacts in my addy book for emergency situations.

make sense? any recommendations on progs that will do this?

thanks!
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    Try either Profilecare or Lightwav.

It is complicated profiles that you want - there might be a drawback to Treo performance.

Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    i downloaded 'ringcare' and don't think it's what i am after. i think what i want to be able to do is have 'presets'. like preset 1 = such and such ringer for several different contacts, including unknown numbers, etc to have a certain ringer, some NO ringer, etc. then have a preset 2 = ringer OFF for all incoming calls, texts, etc except for a couple of the contacts in my addy book for emergency situations.

make sense? any recommendations on progs that will do this?

thanks!
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    i'll check them out and report back. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by estroh View Post
    Try either Profilecare or Lightwav.

It is complicated profiles that you want - there might be a drawback to Treo performance.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    ProfileCare is a great program, but is a nightmare on the 755p. I got screen flashes every ten seconds and all sorts of odd behavior.

Jeff has been promising a fix to make it work right for months, but he seems to be off on other things.
    There is a program called mRing that does what you're looking for. http://www.motionapps.com/mring/_palm.jsp

You can try it for ONLY 7 days (which kinda sucks) to see if you like it. You can customize all of your ringtones. There's a feature called VIP, which means their call will get through even if you set the phone to silence.

I have to be to work at 4am in the morning and hate when people call me at 9, 10pm want to chit chat. So there is a scheduler feature that I can choose Normal, Discreet, Silent, Loud or Custom. So from 8:00 pm to 12:00 am I choose silent. I will not hear the phone ring from anyone else, I'll still see it in the call log, and the light will blink if they leave a voicemail, but if my 75 year old mother calls because she needs a lift to the hospital or wants to tell me that I'm putting on too much weight. She's in my VIP and her call will get through.

Right now they have a version 4.03. My experience has been more problems with this version than 4.02. But I complained to them and was sent a beta of a new release and that seems to work fine for me. Don't know when they plan to release this.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    how about the VOICEMAIL alerts??? this program works great but what good is silencing calls if the voicemail blasts away when someone leaves a vm??

Quote Originally Posted by onekoolfella View Post
    There is a program called mRing that does what you're looking for. http://www.motionapps.com/mring/_palm.jsp

You can try it for ONLY 7 days (which kinda sucks) to see if you like it. You can customize all of your ringtones. There's a feature called VIP, which means their call will get through even if you set the phone to silence.

I have to be to work at 4am in the morning and hate when people call me at 9, 10pm want to chit chat. So there is a scheduler feature that I can choose Normal, Discreet, Silent, Loud or Custom. So from 8:00 pm to 12:00 am I choose silent. I will not hear the phone ring from anyone else, I'll still see it in the call log, and the light will blink if they leave a voicemail, but if my 75 year old mother calls because she needs a lift to the hospital or wants to tell me that I'm putting on too much weight. She's in my VIP and her call will get through.

Right now they have a version 4.03. My experience has been more problems with this version than 4.02. But I complained to them and was sent a beta of a new release and that seems to work fine for me. Don't know when they plan to release this.
    though

Have tried going into Treo Prefs/Sounds & Alerts/Phone Alerts/VoiceMail Alert and setting VoiceMail alert to 'No Sound'

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    im looking to do this in 1 step, not multiple. is there a program that lets you control the voicemail alert in the profile??
    Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    how about the VOICEMAIL alerts??? this program works great but what good is silencing calls if the voicemail blasts away when someone leaves a vm??

The voicemail alert sound does not go off. I was referring to the little blinking light on the upper left hand corner of your phone when you receive a voice mail.

So when you set the profile to silence you don't hear the phone ring, nor hear the voicemail alert, but that little green flashing light in the corner you will see.

Also, mRing has the option for full screen picture ID when a caller calls. You can customize and use mp3's as your ringtones. But since you asked about how to change the ringer at certain times a day, this program does it.

If you do decide to try this program out, you could back up your information, download and try it out. When your 7 days are up. You can do a hard reset on your phone, load your data back in and install the program again and try it for another 7 days.

I just heard thats a way to extend the trial, but its up to you if its worth the trouble.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ok, you have me confused. please read your first 2 sentences. the first states that the vm sound does NOT go off. the second sentence you state that you don't hear the vm alert.

????????

The voicemail alert sound does not go off. I was referring to the little blinking light on the upper left hand corner of your phone when you receive a voice mail.

So when you set the profile to silence you don't hear the phone ring, nor hear the voicemail alert, but that little green flashing light in the corner you will see.
    My Bad.

You can read more about the features on their website. If you decide to try it, when you download the zip file from the website (although it prompts you for an email you don't have to put yours in) it contains a pdf file which is titled "mRing v4.0.3 User Manual." You can run through it and see if this is what you're really looking for. Only thing is that this program is $30 bucks and they do not give any refunds.

2 weeks after I bought it, it went on sale now its back up to full price.

I would wait to the official release of 4.0.4 because that 4.0.3 left a bad taste my treo.
    Last edited by onekoolfella; 02/21/2008 at 10:33 AM.