Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60
  1.    #1  
    I'm in need of some help, and done tons of reading on this but struggling.

    I think I need to more proactively manage my dbcache. However, I'm having a problem finding what I need.

    What I have done:
    ZLauncher - It shows the dbcache, but it does not dump it. I'm not sure why, but I heard an earlier version worked. I can't find it.

    ResetDoctor - definitely out. Upon reading another thread, I think I have finally found my disappearing card problem. Uninstalling ResetDoctor has miraculously made my card reappear. This is great, because even with CardKeeper installed it would intermittently disappear, AND with CardKeeper activated my phone had to be manually powered up after a reset.

    What other dbcache program options are there? I really like ZLauncher's because I can see how much cache I have (I have mine on the bottom of the screen). I wouldn't mind a "set it and forget it" program but would like to have manual override capability. Until Zlauncher is fixed, though...it's not an option.
  2. #2  
    From what I've read, it seems that Zlauncher 5.45b1 works as intended...but I can't find it and I don't know that I ever downloaded it. I've searched my iBook and don't see it...though it could be on my iMac at work. <sigh>

    Hopefully, someone has it and would be willing to link that plug in. Anyone?
  3. #3  
    A great "set it and forget it" dbcache management program is Resco Backup.
    (www.resco-net/palm)
    In addition to being a great back up application it has within it the option to Flush DbCache after Backup (which can be scheduled any way you want it).

    I too have had some issues with Reset Doctor. It can create havoc with your system if not configured exactly right or if application conflicts exist.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmTreo650User View Post
    A great "set it and forget it" dbcache management program is Resco Backup.
    (www.resco-net/palm)
    In addition to being a great back up application it has within it the option to Flush DbCache after Backup (which can be scheduled any way you want it).

    I too have had some issues with Reset Doctor. It can create havoc with your system if not configured exactly right or if application conflicts exist.
    I have this too and use it as well, not sure if French does or not though. My only thing about Zlauncher is that if I have it, I'd love to have the actual plug in that works....then I wouldn't have to go into Resco Backup's menu when I felt the need to manually clear my cache.

    No doubt about it, Resco Backup is great!
  5.    #5  
    I don't have any of the Resco apps.

    I was sent the proper, working DPcache plugin for ZLauncher.

    I have Backupman flushing cache at the end of backup, so between that and now the plugin I think I might be good to go.

    I wonder if Rob (Hobbyist) realizes what's going on with ResetDoctor. I've now read of at least 3 people that know for a fact this app caused major problems on their Palms.

    ETA Plugin...I'm pretty sure it will only work with ZLauncher so I don't think I'm giving something away. I hope I'm not breaking rules here...
    Attached Files Attached Files
  6. #6  
    Resco Explorer has a dbcache flush that has worked flawlessly for me for at least nine months on my Treo. It is easy to access and does the job.
  7. #7  
    I have that zLauncher DBCache plug-in installed too, but perhaps I don't know how to use it. I have it set to flush the cache is free space is <6MB but just now I checked and my free space is like 3MB and I click on Clear Now and nothing changes. So I just reset my treo and now my free space is 13.5MB. It seems sometimes it is just easier to reset the phone to free the cache. I didn't know that Resco offered the DBCache flush, so I just found that and set it to flush after each nightly backup. I'll have to see if that works.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  8. #8  
    Resco Lock & Reset Dr. make my 755 rock solid. Software conflicts definitely cause probblems with Reset Dr. cache management, but Hobbyists Software presents some very detailed troubleshooting instructions. If I don't lock down Text Plus I see soft resets often.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post

    ETA Plugin...I'm pretty sure it will only work with ZLauncher so I don't think I'm giving something away. I hope I'm not breaking rules here...
    Thanks French, do you happen to know what beta this one was in? I'm about to try it out. Lauren sent me the one in b1 and that didn't work. I've requested b2, but I'm going to see how this one works or me first.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    I have that zLauncher DBCache plug-in installed too, but perhaps I don't know how to use it. I have it set to flush the cache is free space is <6MB but just now I checked and my free space is like 3MB and I click on Clear Now and nothing changes. So I just reset my treo and now my free space is 13.5MB. It seems sometimes it is just easier to reset the phone to free the cache. I didn't know that Resco offered the DBCache flush, so I just found that and set it to flush after each nightly backup. I'll have to see if that works.
    Sounds like you have the non working version that was included with the most recent version of ZLauncher. Replace the one you have with the one I posted and you should notice a difference.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohappydaye View Post
    Thanks French, do you happen to know what beta this one was in? I'm about to try it out. Lauren sent me the one in b1 and that didn't work. I've requested b2, but I'm going to see how this one works or me first.
    I'm sorry, I don't. But it does appear to be working on my system.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathearder View Post
    Resco Explorer has a dbcache flush that has worked flawlessly for me for at least nine months on my Treo. It is easy to access and does the job.
    Where exactly is the setting for that? Also, I'm using Zlauncher so not really looking for another one, but I'm interested in being able to open files by selecting them. I wonder if I can put the file manager, for example, as a shortcut on my tab...
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't. But it does appear to be working on my system.
    Yes, thank you for posting that. I deleted the one I had installed, then installed the one you just posted and it does work now!! I notice it also shows the cache files in bites instead of KB like the last one. Thank you so much.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Where exactly is the setting for that? Also, I'm using Zlauncher so not really looking for another one, but I'm interested in being able to open files by selecting them. I wonder if I can put the file manager, for example, as a shortcut on my tab...
    Okay, when you open Resco and open the options, click Schedule, then click Advanced at the bottom and you need to check mark Flsuh DBCache after Backup. I think you may need to set up Resco on some kind of schedule for this to work but that is not a problem. I have mine scheduled for every night at midnight.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    Yes, thank you for posting that. I deleted the one I had installed, then installed the one you just posted and it does work now!! I notice it also shows the cache files in bites instead of KB like the last one. Thank you so much.
    @ French and Dollface:
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong. When you press "clear now" does it flush for you? Mine won't flush and I have the version that French listed. What I find is that it will keep the dbcache just above whatever my setting is, but that's it...is that all I should expect. For example, I have it set to clear if my dbcache goes below 10MB...well, it doesn't "clear" it completely but it kicks it back up above 10MB to 10.5 when it attempts to go below that parameter.

    Are you seeing different results?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohappydaye View Post
    @ French and Dollface:
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong. When you press "clear now" does it flush for you? Mine won't flush and I have the version that French listed. What I find is that it will keep the dbcache just above whatever my setting is, but that's it...is that all I should expect. For example, I have it set to clear if my dbcache goes below 10MB...well, it doesn't "clear" it completely but it kicks it back up above 10MB to 10.5 when it attempts to go below that parameter.

    Are you seeing different results?
    This seems to be a strange little plug-in. I just now checked for you to see if Clear Now did anything. My free space is shown as 13.5 free. So I hit Clear Now and it went up to 14.8 free with a Max Chunk of 13.8 (???wth) On my zLauncher tool bar however the number showing for my dbcache is 13.8, so I assume the number free it shows is for the Max Chunk, whatever that is. I guess the cache can get fragmented much like any hard drive, so the extra space (14.8) that it shows is in small fragmented segments?? I hope someone who understands this plug-in responds.

    Oh, and I just changed my Auto Clear setting from <than 10MB to be <80%. Try changing your auto clear setting to a high percentage instead of a MB size, click Okay and then hit the Clear Now button.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  17.    #17  
    I don't exactly understand how it's working, either.

    As far as RescoExplorer for DBCache management...I have backupman and it already does a cache clear at the end of backing up, so that's redundant. I'm looking for an "on demand", and I guess as of right now this plugin is the closet I'm going to get. I have mine to automatically flush, but if I do go in and manually flush, it keeps looping back until I cancel.

    So obviously I don't know what I'm doing.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    but if I do go in and manually flush, it keeps looping back until I cancel.

    So obviously I don't know what I'm doing.
    I noticed that, that after I hit Clear Now and the OK, it does not close out the app, it just keeps taking you back to it. I hit Cancel and that closed the app. I may just un-check that auto clear feature and let Resco clear my cache nightly. I do like seeing the available cache number on my toolbar though, from that plug-in.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  19. #19  
    Resco Explorer does a flush on demand, This is a separate program from Resco backup. You go to Tools, Ram Info, and it shows the Free Memory information including the dbcache. There is a button to flush the cache, or you can click ok to go back to Resco.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathearder View Post
    Resco Explorer does a flush on demand, This is a separate program from Resco backup. You go to Tools, Ram Info, and it shows the Free Memory information including the dbcache. There is a button to flush the cache, or you can click ok to go back to Resco.
    O.k., that's better than only flushing after backup. But how much memory (RAM) does Resco Explorer use? It seems like way overkill to just get an app that flushes.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions