Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have been using backupbuddy which seems to be working fine. ASAIK there is no cache flus option. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to Resco Backup other than the cache flush (wihch is very nice indeed)??

BB
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    I have been using backupbuddy which seems to be working fine. ASAIK there is no cache flus option. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to Resco Backup other than the cache flush (wihch is very nice indeed)??

BB
    I can't speak to Resco. But I love my BackupMan. It's recovered my Treo and before that my TX, more times than I care to admit.

Hopefully someone will come along and comment for you on Resco, but if not, try doing a search on Resco and BackupBuddy and see what you find.
    Thanks for the input. Do you use BMan for cache flushing? Having bought BBuddy not sure I want to spring for another one w/o good reason. BBuddy helped me recover from the s/w upgrade when doing a hotsync put a lot of old c**p on my phone.

BB
  4.    #44  
    Thanks for the input. Do you use BMan for cache flushing? Having bought BBuddy not sure I want to spring for another one w/o good reason. BBuddy helped me recover from the s/w upgrade when doing a hotsync put a lot of old c**p on my phone.

BB
    I'm a BackupMan fan, but I say stick with what you know. BackupMan is the only one I've ever used and it's saved me lots. I wouldn't feel right moving to something else after all its done for me.
    I had the disappearing card syndrome. Iím convinced it is a corrupt Saved Preferences file. I believe the Saved Preferences file is a single point of failure in the Palm OS. Every app puts its junk in it, and they tend to step on each other.

I had the same kind of symptoms you're talking about, card disappears, usually when changing batteries. Sometimes it comes back on a reset, eventually it just doesnít come back, except on a warm reset (holding down up on the five-way). Very frustrating, maddening. Then I delete an app, and Iím convinced itís the culprit. But then the problem comes back later. I went nuts trying to figure out what was causing the problem.

My Saved Preferences file was over 50K (as shown when you copy it to the card with FileZ). So I did a hard reset and re-built the treo from scratch. With all the apps I have, it took hours. Since then, no disappearing card. Itís been 10 days.

Now, Iím aggressively monitoring and managing the Saved Preference file. I keep a log in a memo. Every time I need to make a preferences change that I care about, I log it in the memo. I also copy the saved preferences file to a directory on the card using Filez.

Hereís the strange thing. About every 3-5 days, the size of the Saved Preferences file goes up by 1-2K, but with no explanation. When it does, I restore it from the smaller backup. Everything still works, and Iím keeping my Saved Preferences file to a steady size. In my case, itís 33K.
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I'm in need of some help, and done tons of reading on this but struggling.

I think I need to more proactively manage my dbcache. However, I'm having a problem finding what I need.

What I have done:
    ZLauncher - It shows the dbcache, but it does not dump it. I'm not sure why, but I heard an earlier version worked. I can't find it.

ResetDoctor - definitely out. Upon reading another thread, I think I have finally found my disappearing card problem. Uninstalling ResetDoctor has miraculously made my card reappear. This is great, because even with CardKeeper installed it would intermittently disappear, AND with CardKeeper activated my phone had to be manually powered up after a reset.

What other dbcache program options are there? I really like ZLauncher's because I can see how much cache I have (I have mine on the bottom of the screen). I wouldn't mind a "set it and forget it" program but would like to have manual override capability. Until Zlauncher is fixed, though...it's not an option.
    Let me share my experience (which may or may not apply to you) with DBCache. I tried various tools to flush this as well, and none of them would completely solve the problem of my Treo 700p resetting now and then.

Finally I removed all applications that run in the background and reinstalled them one at a time. What I found out was that the Keyboard backlight program (KbLightsOff) was the culprit causing cache depletion.

Once that program was removed for good, my Treo became rock solid.

Moral - beware of background applications and their resource requirements.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartr View Post
    Let me share my experience (which may or may not apply to you) with DBCache. I tried various tools to flush this as well, and none of them would completely solve the problem of my Treo 700p resetting now and then.

Finally I removed all applications that run in the background and reinstalled them one at a time. What I found out was that the Keyboard backlight program (KbLightsOff) was the culprit causing cache depletion.

Once that program was removed for good, my Treo became rock solid.

Moral - beware of background applications and their resource requirements.
    This is good to know. A question...is there an easy way to ascertain exactly which apps are running in the background?
    M. French: it is hard to know whether it is the size of the Saved Preference, the DBCache or a signal problem that causes the freezes (dead) phone. From reading here it seems it could be any one of these or corrupted files or background operations. I also fail to understand why they seem to appear only overnight (maybe my phone likes to sleep).

In any case, further thoughts always welcome. Also, what app do you use to flush the cache, and can one clear the Saved Preference w/o a hard reset?

BB
  9.    #49  
    What seems to be working for me at this point is a combination of BackupMan doing a cache flush after backing up (3:00 am for me), and ZLauncher's DBcache plugin....but I had to go back a couple of versions to get a working plugin.
    I use ResetDoctor (by Hobbyistsoftware) to clear the cache. I have it set to clear automatically if it drops below 4MB. I also have Resco Backup clear after a backup. There is an app coming from GoTreoSoftware that will monitor crashes, tell you what's running in the background, etc. It is currently in beta.
    Just got ResetDr. and cache had over 4megs free. Did a Clear Now and got a reset right after it, which Hobbyistsoftware says indicates a problem of some sort. Second flush did not produce a reset. Now have 15megs free and will watch how it develops.

Just wondering, does ANYONE else get the dead freezes that I get from time to time (no buttons do anything)??

Thanks again guys.

BB
    Last edited by blazorboy; 02/18/2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: new s/w app.
    Everyone with a 700P does on occasion get the freezes. With the correct utilities out there to monitor the db Cache, those freezes can be reduced. Ben
    Just got ResetDr. and cache had over 4megs free. Did a Clear Now and got a reset right after it, which Hobbyistsoftware says indicates a problem of some sort. Second flush did not produce a reset. Now have 15megs free and will watch how it develops.

Just wondering, does ANYONE else get the dead freezes that I get from time to time (no buttons do anything)??

Thanks again guys.

BB
    Do you by any chance have insurance on your phone, or are you are at place with your carrier to upgrade, perhaps to a 755? It sounds like something is just not right with THIS phone. Good luck, glad you got that backup app.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    I have a 755p actually this is the second one, for the first did the same thing. What I am trying to find out is whether when folks say the get a "freeze" they mean a lag in response to buttons or a "dead" phone that requires a soft reset. I mean the latter, but it seems some have used the word to indicate the former condition (lag in response).

Thanks for all the help.

BB

Thanks again guys.

BB
    I get momentary dead freezes on occasion, but they hardly ever require a reset. My belief is that they are usually attributable to a background application. I just upgraded my 700p to the 755p ROM and, so far, the freezes are less frequent. However, I reinstalled fewer "safety" programs in an attempt to see how more stable my device is with the 755p ROM. I know ResetDr was one culprit with the auto backup feature enabled, but it's an acceptable trade-off for the protection. I also notice some lag if Chatter is actively interacting with a mailbox.

What 3rd party apps are you running? Especially utilities.
    Thanks. I wish mine were just momentary. My situation is that about once a week I wake up to a "dead" phone--responds to no buttons, can receive no calls,etc. until I do a hard reset. This happens while I am running Butler as the main utility (have just added ResetDr). I run Business Connect PE which from time to time receives SMS (unseen) that tells it to sync with my e-mail on a Sprint (Seven) server. I have Versamail not asking for sync during the night. I do not have any autoupdates on On Demand. So I am not sure what might be running in the background other than Butler and Business Connect.

I have yet to hear whether anyone else gets DEAD FREEZES--not sure what else to call it.

Thanks again.

BB
    Your situation sounds like it would be fairly simple to troubleshoot. Can you uninstall Butler (which I too run) for a week and see if the problem disappears? If it does then the problem might be with a specific Butler setting. I stopped using the Butler keyguard and just use the native POS one and that improved performance.
    Personally I have not had any freezes but I do not have Butler installed. I just have a hunch that you have too much going on with the business connect and all. Can't you get your email with any other programs, like Chatter? Just curious, as I have found it very stable even when doing push. I no longer use the push feature and have changed my email to get it on demand now and keep the mailboxes offline the rest of the time. I have had no resets or freezes of any kind on my 755.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I think DBCache is definitely the problem with slow navigation/white screen of death. My 755p has been getting that for some time now with random resets with no consistency on the app causing the reset and no program identified in ##377. I installed the DBCache plug in for ZLauncher yesterday and every app has been responsive since with no resets. It will take several more days of observations but I think this is the culprit. Others have mentioned Resco and Reset Doctor as having the ability to flush cache.

The funny thing is I never had this problem with my 650 for the 4 years I owned it. I wonder what has changed in the OS or NVFS that would cause this. I've seen other threads in the 700 and Centro forums with the same issues. I wonder if this is causing the issues with 755p caught in reset loops. This happened to me on my first 755p.

Those that were reporting the 755p were faster initially and then it slowed down after a while makes sense - the hard reset cleared the cache and then slowly built up again so the issues were repeated.

Bottom line, Palm should have come up with a way to clear the cache dynamically.
    Using Palm Pre on Sprint
    I wish I could, but I need Business Connect to get under my firm's very strong fire wall. They want me to use a Blackberry, but I found this one and only work-around that lets me stay in the good phone and Palm PIM world. Yet I do not think it is BC (which worked sans problems on my I500--POS4).
    Again, one of the strangest features is that this problem shows up virtually only overnight, never during the day (or maybe once, but not really the same).

Again I beg: has ANYONE else had such dead-freezes?

Many thanks, esp. to dollface.

BB
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123