Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    O.k., that's better than only flushing after backup. But how much memory (RAM) does Resco Explorer use? It seems like way overkill to just get an app that flushes.
    Well, once or twice a week you could just do a soft reset, zLauncher has a nice soft reset icon you can put on your top or bottom toolbar; that flushes the cache on demand.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  2.    #22  
    I have the soft reset button on my bottom bar already! I do use that from time-to-time.

Dollface...I'm beginning to wonder how much alike (or different) our treos look!
    Resco Explorer is a really good file manager too, and can even be used as a launcher. It also has a plain backup function. It does FTP and lots of other things I don't even use lol. It shows as using 427k under the Palm info. I tried another plain flushing app that some like but didn't like it at all.

Soft resetting my Treo does not recover anywhere near as much as flushing the dbcache on either my TX or Treo. There are a few programs I could not use on the TX without flushing the dbcache.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathearder View Post
    Resco Explorer is a really good file manager too, and can even be used as a launcher. It also has a plain backup function. It does FTP and lots of other things I don't even use lol. It shows as using 427k under the Palm info. I tried another plain flushing app that some like but didn't like it at all.

Soft resetting my Treo does not recover anywhere near as much as flushing the dbcache on either my TX or Treo. There are a few programs I could not use on the TX without flushing the dbcache.
    What was the app, if you don't mind sharing?
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I have the soft reset button on my bottom bar already! I do use that from time-to-time.

Dollface...I'm beginning to wonder how much alike (or different) our treos look!
    You know, everybody has a twin, even Treos.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    This seems to be a strange little plug-in. I just now checked for you to see if Clear Now did anything. My free space is shown as 13.5 free. So I hit Clear Now and it went up to 14.8 free with a Max Chunk of 13.8 (???wth) On my zLauncher tool bar however the number showing for my dbcache is 13.8, so I assume the number free it shows is for the Max Chunk, whatever that is. I guess the cache can get fragmented much like any hard drive, so the extra space (14.8) that it shows is in small fragmented segments?? I hope someone who understands this plug-in responds.

Oh, and I just changed my Auto Clear setting from <than 10MB to be <80%. Try changing your auto clear setting to a high percentage instead of a MB size, click Okay and then hit the Clear Now button.
    Crazy! I just changed it to 80% like you suggested and now it works.
    I'm going to keep my eye on this thing.

As Cathearder indicated, I've used the dbcache clearer in Resco Backup for on demand clearing. In fact it was how I was determining whether or not the Zlauncher plugin was giving me an accurate read or not.

I'll monitor this and see how it goes, but it seems like it's working now. It cleared, but now as I was "watching." I hit clear now, ok and after it went back to my Zlauncher screen a few minutes later the number changed on my bottom bar. It went from 8MB to 12M. I did it again (clear now, ok) and then it jumped up to 14.6M. So, it's flushing...but on a slight delay. This is far more than it was doing before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohappydaye View Post

I'll monitor this and see how it goes, but it seems like it's working now. It cleared, but now as I was "watching." I hit clear now, ok and after it went back to my Zlauncher screen a few minutes later the number changed on my bottom bar. It went from 8MB to 12M. I did it again (clear now, ok) and then it jumped up to 14.6M. So, it's flushing...but on a slight delay. This is far more than it was doing before.
    well I'm glad it is working for you, just take caution. After I was fooling with trying to Clear It Now, doing it several times to get it to work, my phone went bonkers. I ended up having to do a hard reset and then a restore.

So, can you tell me how you do an on-demand cache clearing with Resco Backup? I can see how to set it to clear if you have the backup set on a schedule, but is there somewhere that does an on demand clearing? Many thanks
    French, the app was flush it. I did not like how it acted at all on my TX as opposed to Resco Explorer. Pruss designed the app that Resco Explorer uses. Apparently an earlier version of this program did cause some problems but he says he is confident in this version and uses it.

Dollface, I thought only Resco Explorer had the on demand flushing option, but Resco Backup has it too. You go to menu>options> Ram Info and get the screen where you can choose to flush. I have not used it in this program but I do know it functions fine for me with Explorer. I am not using the latest version of Explorer- I have version 2.72.2 and see no need right now to pay for an upgrade.

As I understand it any time you flush you are taking a small risk. Pruss made his program less aggressive, and I feel more comfortable with it in Explorer. It has performed well for me for over a year.
  9.    #29  
    French, the app was flush it. I did not like how it acted at all on my TX as opposed to Resco Explorer. Pruss designed the app that Resco Explorer uses. Apparently an earlier version of this program did cause some problems but he says he is confident in this version and uses it.

Dollface, I thought only Resco Explorer had the on demand flushing option, but Resco Backup has it too. You go to menu>options> Ram Info and get the screen where you can choose to flush. I have not used it in this program but I do know it functions fine for me with Explorer. I am not using the latest version of Explorer- I have version 2.72.2 and see no need right now to pay for an upgrade.

As I understand it any time you flush you are taking a small risk. Pruss made his program less aggressive, and I feel more comfortable with it in Explorer. It has performed well for me for over a year.
    Thank you so much for this additional information. I knew Pruss had worked on something for cache once (probably right about when I got my TX).

Going to check out RescoExplorer right now. Does your version also have zip capability?
    I am pretty sure it does have zip capability. I have never used it but think I saw it in the docs.
    Is there any stand alone app that does the flush on demand?

Thanks,

BB

I assume that the plugin posted in this tread will not work w/o Zlauncher. BB

Cathearder, thank you so much, I found it. I didn't use it yet, since I am still recovering from the sting of my last night's hard reset, but at least I know it is there, and it gives much more detailed info on the RAM state than the zL plug-in (which I deleted).

Blazorboy, yes - this plugin we are talking about only works (??) with zLauncher.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Reset Doctor is not causing your card to disappear. I too had the disappearing card problem. I would cure it by deleting Resco Explorer. Soon I learned deleting almost any program brought the card back. Card Keeper was the final solution in found. Now, with firmware 1.07, I have not lost the card even once.
    Thanks, suspected as much. You folks are most helpful, thanks again.

Pls see my post about continuing freezes at night. Any thoughts?

BB
  15.    #35  
    I just installed RescoExplorer and had the disappearing card again.

There is something in these programs...most likely a setting or even a possible conflict with something else I have.

The problem with using CardKeeper is with it installed and checked off to detect, my phone didn't want to turn on after reboot unless I did it manually. And even with this program installed my card would still disappear after a soft reset which required going into the program, unchecking and then rechecking the monitoring, before the card came back.

Maybe as a general statement it's unfair to say ResetDoctor and RescoExplorer cause issues...I have so much stuff on my 755P now who knows. But what I DO know is that with either of these 2 programs on MY 755P the way I have it configured, my memory card disappears.

Just like poor dollface experienced a hard reset using ZLdbcache plugin and I haven't...so for her it's not a solution, but for me, so far (and knock on wood) it is.

I think I'm back to, I either use the combo of ZLauncher and the cache cleanup from my backup at 3:00 a.m., or I still need a stand alone third party solution. Right now I am not experiencing any resets or unexpected behaviors with ZLauncher dbache plugin, and my programs seem to be functioning well. So for now I think I have found MY solution. It's amazing how temperamental this stuff can be.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by delao13 View Post
    Reset Doctor is not causing your card to disappear. I too had the disappearing card problem. I would cure it by deleting Resco Explorer. Soon I learned deleting almost any program brought the card back. Card Keeper was the final solution in found. Now, with firmware 1.07, I have not lost the card even once.
    Firmware for the Sprint 755P?

I'm on VZW and have 1.06 as of now.
    French I am sorry Resco Explorer did not work for you. It has been a reliable workhorse for me. What size card are you using? I am using a 2GB Kingston mini.
  18.    #38  
    French I am sorry Resco Explorer did not work for you. It has been a reliable workhorse for me. What size card are you using? I am using a 2GB Kingston mini.
    And therein is the issue. I'm using a 6-gig Micro w converter...completely and totally unsupported by Palm.

I'm happy enough with ZLauncher as my "explorer", don't need ftp, etc. About the only thing it had that I was most interested in was the zip and cache. But I think my cache issues are resolved. Maybe not ideally, but working. And I can always find another program for zip.

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    Cathearder, thank you so much, I found it. I didn't use it yet, since I am still recovering from the sting of my last night's hard reset, but at least I know it is there, and it gives much more detailed info on the RAM state than the zL plug-in (which I deleted).

Blazorboy, yes - this plugin we are talking about only works (??) with zLauncher.

I see that Cathearder gave you the info you needed regarding Resco Backup.

Odd, it's definitely working for me (the zlauncher plug in) and I flushed with Resco Backup like a million times on yesterday, as I tried to verify the reading of each of the plug ins I was installing. Thank goodness that I haven't had the hard reset issue.

The different "cocktail" of apps on each device will definitely contribute to it's functionality in regard to how well these apps get along. That only makes sense. It could be a small bug in one or more apps that the developer doesn't know about yet. I don't know...just a guesstimation. For now it's all working great for me, Resco Backup's cache flush feature will be my "stand alone" and my zlauncher plug in will be my "set it and be" process. I'll be sure to keep you posted.
    I have had no resets caused by Resco Backup or the ZLauncher DB cache plug-in. I do have Resco Backup set to flush the DB cache after the automagical backup. Ben
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast