1.    #1  
    Hey guys:

Long-time TreoCentral member here to announce that I decided to build a new social media app that I could use to access and socialize my personal media collection from anywhere in the world. I suppose we're a mix things like Gloonet/Orb and Last.fm, but with our own unique angle and focus on social mobility. Also, we're not nearly as big as those guys -- for now, we're just doing this because we can, and we still have our day jobs.

So, we're starting our roll-out, and looking for people who might be interested in participating in our BETA. We can't invite the whole world to participate just yet, but I'm starting to put a shout out in some familiar areas (TreoCentral is the first) to let folks know what we're up to.

Let's see, what else can I say about us. Well, we're mac/linux-friendly -- a priority of ours from day one. Also, we don't have a native player for the Treo, but support existing ones like PTunes, etc. that handle streaming. I have the 700p, and use Blazer/PTunes to access our mobile site (http://www.brightharbour.com/BH.Net/BHMobile.htm). We only support mp3's right now, but will be expanding to other media formats in the near future. You can invite others to social memberships that you've created and allow them to "tune-in" to stations that you create.

So, drop me a note here if anyone is interested in particpating (invite@brightharbour.com will work as well). Otherwise, visit http://www.brightharbour.com to see what we're up to.
    Last edited by adkent; 02/18/2008 at 05:28 PM.
  2.    #2  
    So, no questions about the service and how it works? Would it be helpful if I created a demo account for people to check it out?
    Yes, definitely!
  4.    #4  
    Okay -- let's see. I suppose I'll create an account and PM anyone who asks. Here's how it'll work -- I'll invite the demo acount to my membership, and have some stations queued-up to play. Member-only access, which means you'll only be able to play what you see (no updating of stations). Basically, I'm the DJ here, and you're listening to my stuff.

I'll send PM's out shortly to anyone who asks.

p.s.: edit to mention that our host (crystaltech) has been a bit flaky today, so don't be surprised if the site isn't responsive. we're checking on it.
    Last edited by adkent; 02/19/2008 at 03:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    So.... how long before the RIAA comes after you guys for royalties?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    So.... how long before the RIAA comes after you guys for royalties?
    For what? Allowing me to listen to my stuff anywhere I want and inviting my friends to the party?

Actually, it's a good question. Really, we're not doing anything new or different here that you can't do with Orb, etc. We're talking listening/streaming here, not downloading or sharing of content.

Nonetheless, we've thought about this from day one, and have the ability to turn off peer-streaming at the flick of the switch, so it isn't a big deal to us. Frankly, we'll let the consumers/marketplace determine what works and what doesn't and adjust accordingly. If RIAA/ASCAP/etc. determine that our social model entitles them to royalties, then it comes down to a simple business decision that will be driven by the consumer (we turn it off, or we charge you a nominal fee and hand it over to our friends in return for your right to enjoy the full social experience that we provide).

Socializing consumers want convenience and control over their content, while "big media" is attempting to outgrow the problem. Ultimately, the consumer and market will determine the outcome, and we've baked-in the ability to adjust easily and accordingly.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I'm game. I am willing to test it. I am using a VZW 755p. Blazer and pTunes and kinoma.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    I'm game. I am willing to test it. I am using a VZW 755p. Blazer and pTunes and kinoma.
    Cool, cigar. PM sent.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adkent View Post
    Cool, cigar. PM sent.
    got it thanks.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    adkent. so far your stream works for me. the stream for my music does not. I am able to trouble shoot in am. let me know.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    Im interested. Also, is this only for music? Title says media so Im interested in picture hosting too.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  12.    #12  
    cigarman: drop us an e-mail at ccaster.support at brightharbour.com. incidentally, we're putting a new version up tomorrow, so I'd probably suggest using the new BETA.

Hdhntr23: we do plan to support all media types, however, we're running with music for the initial launch. obviously, we'd like to do everything else ASAP, but it will take some time. thanks for asking -- drop me a PM if you want more details.
  13.    #13  
    Just a quick heads-up that we released our BETA CliqueCaster (our app) for the Mac, which is available for download to registered/invited users. Unless I'm wrong, I think we're one of the few (if not only) solutions on the market that do things like this for people who prefer the Mac experience.
    Last edited by adkent; 03/23/2008 at 07:32 PM.